1.0 out of 5 stars Oh My, Biting My Lip, Jeez, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
I took the advice of several one-star reviewers and read the first three chapters of this book online, via Amazon. Oh dear Lord.

I skimmed about half of it, noting that other reviewers were very correct about the repetitive language. Ana blushes. She blushes again. She turns crimson and says Jeez and Oh Crap and Damn and blushes again. (Repeat every page or paragraph or every sentence or so.) She gasps, he gasps. She blushes and talks to herself a lot, in italics. He has grey eyes, long fingers; she's apparently the most naive person in America. OK, that's three chapters.

As others have noted, there are a lot of British terms for an American girl to be speaking--one that hasn't been mentioned here is when she gets mad at her roommate and thinks, "I don't usually throw toys from my pram." The hey? No one calls a carriage a pram here, and that saying is not in my memory. Also, there's a use of very old-fashioned terms, such as "uncle's monkey" and "paying peanuts" for rent.

And yes, you don't drive through Portland to get to Seattle from Vancouver.

Well. So I didn't read the rest of the novel. I don't want to, given the very poor execution and lack of editorial control in the three chapters I read. Sorry, you BSDM fans.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 17, 2012 12:20:03 AM PDT
Coralia says:
What in the heck is "uncle's monkey"? I haven't gotten to that part yet, but I'm already disturbed by it.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 2:12:04 PM PDT
Christy B says:
Two things made me crazy, number one you caught: And yes, you don't drive through Portland to get to Seattle from Vancouver. I was like what the heck??? And the use of "err" over and over. Sounds stupid.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 4:13:09 PM PDT
quite apart from the crappy stuff Anastasia seems to say all the time - things like oh my, holy crap, holy cow etc.. which seemed to appear on almost every page, there were phrases/situations which were worked to death, like the big thing Christian makes out of Ana rolling her eyes or chewing her upper lip. Ok.. Ill admit,,the first couple of times it was cute, but then it got seriously over-worked...like the sexual shenanigans Ana and Christian get up to.. at first, they're interesting, but then they become boring!

And the plot stinks. A completely naive - i've been living under a rock kind of girl suddenly turns into this insatiable minx... and all this because of Christina Grey..Crap, crap crap

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:43:22 AM PDT
Could not agree with you more! Very annoying, repetitive writing and Ana's inner dialogue was so unsexy. I kept thinking that a real guy like Chistian would never fall for a girl like Ana in reality because she's so annoying. That didn't help me connect much with the heroine and therefore, I have given up reading the rest of the second book. Just couldn't finish it.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 9:43:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 24, 2012 10:58:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 10:03:41 AM PDT
p.brew says:
Completely agree. Also, everything is 'murmured'.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 11:03:46 AM PDT
AEL says:
Ha! You are so right! I was confused about the use of the word "pram" as well...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:47:03 AM PDT
Uncle's Monkey is a really old-fashioned expression that expresses disbelief in something, as in, "I'm my uncle's monkey." Oh well, you had to be there. Like 50 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:57:43 AM PDT
Not to be terribly unkind, but all I can think is that women who like this book haven't, uh, experienced much. It's all so fake and pathetic. And I'm not talking kinky here; I'm just talking regular experiences with nice people, that would satisfy most people.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 10:16:17 AM PDT
Pauline says:
No, no! It was "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" And it was more like 80 years ago.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (28,177 customer reviews)
 (12,971)