4.0 out of 5 stars Love this watch but..., January 8, 2014
This review is from: Suunto Ambit2 GPS Heart Rate Monitor - Men's (Sports)
I have this watch for a few weeks now and love it except for a few nits listed below. I decided to give Suunto a shot after I had a couple of Garmin watches physically break for reasons unknown (watch bands, band holders, buttons). Here are the activities I like to use this watch for:

* Running: For the most part the Ambit accomplishes what I need. It finds GPS fast (5 seconds typically). My Garmin I had to set it outdoors to give it time. You were doomed with the Garmin if they started a 5K suddenly. HR strap is comfortable but I do not use one often.

* Geotagging: Not many people have written about this but I like to geotag my photos and this watch is great for that purpose. I set up a custom exercise called geotag and later export from the movescount site the GPX file for geotagging. You can go all day and not worry about running out of battery or missing the data.

* Hiking/Backpacking: I have used the navigation and it is really a great tool. The navigate back to start is a great feature. Be warned that it stops logging location during your navigation back. This is a bummer as I could not geotag photos during that time. I hope this gets an update to correct this. The long GPS life is a game changer to me. I was able to recharge the watch using a hand winder without to much difficulty. With a solar panel or a winder you can stay off the grid as long as you like without a lot of bulk. Creating/importing routes is easy. I even created a route to drive with and it could get you to your destination.

GOOD:
- Great battery life. This was one of the big features for me. The Ambit2 S model has less battery but is cheaper.
- nice display you can customize for exercises. Standard time keeping displays are not customizable but work fine.
- great feature set
- The charge clamp is much better than Garmins. No need to eject the watch after a sync.
- Build seems solid.
- Good looking watch if that matters.
- The silver model is cheaper than the other models and according to the manual 7-10g lighter than the other models.

BAD:
- It is a big watch but not uncomfortable. You will find it tough to strip layers with the bulk. Seems light for the size and battery life.
- Not sure why they put the "blob" on the bottom (GPS receiver?). Would have been better on the top so it is easier to see the watch.
- Hard to believe they do not have better tools to import your run data from Garmin or others. If they want switchers they should make it easy.
- I do not see a good way to strap this watch over a jacket when out in the cold, the band is not long enough.
- Requires a special program to load to movescount.com. Sorry Linux users.

Ugly: You are mostly tied to the Movescount.com site to do anything. I could live with that but there is no easy way to back up all your runs easily. I hate "data lock-in". It is my data and they should make it easy to save GPX to download to a zip file.

I took off a star for evil import/export capabilities. This watch is 5 stars hands down when in use.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2014 11:08:13 AM PST
GPS receiver (blob) is on the bottom because the bottom of your wrist points skyward towards the GPS sats when you are running. If it was on the top your GPS signal could be noticeably weaker.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2014 11:13:06 AM PST
JKCowboy says:
I understand that is the reason but most other modern GPS watches do not have this "feature". It is a minor issue and I continue to like the watch.

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 6:13:54 PM PDT
hi
how do you use de geotag function can u explain to me please

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2014 8:18:38 PM PDT
JKCowboy says:
Once you upload your Moves (events you recorded with the Suunto) you can then export the move to GPX format. Many tools exist that allow you to geotag photos with gpx files. Adobe Lightroom and Apple's Aperture support it directly.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagged_photograph#Synchronizing_with_a_separate_GPS

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2014 3:57:37 AM PDT
Cristian A says:
So, and sorry for been so insistent but I understand that you need to save each poi has an individual .gpx file or keep the gps on all the time and save the poi's
Again
Thx and Best regards...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2014 6:40:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2014 6:02:07 PM PDT
JKCowboy says:
Here is the basic workflow I use to geo-tag photos for something like a vacation:

- Make sure the time on your camera is set correctly. If it is off so will be the locations
- Start an exercise on the Suunto, like Running. It must be one that uses GPS. I created a custom exercise I call geo-tag that creates a log entry every minute. I find this is enough for geo-tagging and allows me to take photos all day.

- Take you pictures
-Once home download your photos from the camera to a folder on your computer.
- sync the Suunto as normal to the web site (See the manual).
- After the GPS data is sent to the moves website, select the move just uploaded and export as GPX. Save this to folder with the pictures.
-Now use what ever software to tag the photos with.

I use a Mac, Adobe LR, a Suunto, and a Canon 5Dmk2 for all this. Hope that helps. Just Google for geo tagging for specifics on what software is out there to do the final tagging of the photos.

9Apr14: Small addition/correction. Adobe LR will do geotagging but I prefer to use a Mac application called HoudahGeo (http://houdah.com/houdahGeo/) to do this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2014 11:51:00 AM PDT
Great!!!
My camera does not allows that feature so ill use the general workflow instead.
Thx again 4 your time
Regards

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 5:33:56 PM PDT
Thanks for the great info about geo tagging!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2014 10:27:22 AM PDT
G. Yang says:
u sure?

Posted on Jul 7, 2014 10:32:48 AM PDT
Dave Crain says:
JK - check out https://tapiriik.com/ for data syncing between various platforms automatically.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (92 customer reviews)

$296.38 - $599.95