1.0 out of 5 stars buyer beware, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Apple iBook Laptop, G4 iBook 1.33GHz Processor, 1GB, 40GB, 12.1" 1024x768 Display, Combo Drive ,WiFi, 56K Modem ,10/100 Ethernet, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (Electronics)
Apple iBook Laptop, G4 iBook 1.33GHz Processor, 1GB, 40GB, 12.1" 1024x768 Display, Combo Drive ,WiFi, 56K Modem ,10/100 Ethernet , Bluetooth, OS X 10.5 installed, Refurbished ( yes ok, well that is what it said. It is a VERY OLD model and not at all what is photographed, (circa 1985) it turned on but the casing was very shaky and loose, there was a mildew or some gross stain between the apple feature on the outside and the monitor wiggles a bit; not to mention the cracks in the item itself. Not all together sure if it was the way it was packaged but no matter. it arrived in a very bent US mail box. The power cord connecter was bent and had to be straightened out with plies. I purchased the mid ranged one, thinking it would be in better condition, but maybe if you pay more you get more from this dealer, I don't know. A suggestion would be for the dealer to use the actual product photograph and not the current model, it rings of false advertising. This may only be me and my run of luck but the term, Buyer beware applies here.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 1:30:26 PM PDT
were you able to return it?

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 10:46:04 AM PDT
did you return it and get your money back???????????????????????????????//

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 10:46:22 AM PDT
i hope so

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 11:48:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2013 12:02:22 AM PDT
Dorothy Cole says:
As a person who works in the resale business I can see right off the bat what "A. Tate's" problem is. He (or she) expected to get something for nothing. He expected to get a brand new $1200 lap top for $200, or even less. Circa 1985? Hardly, these computers were made around 2007. The companies that refurbish them buy lots (meaning they bid on many of them sight unseen) that have generally been leased to colleges for the staff and faculty to use. The computers have had their memory wiped clean and the most up to date OS system has been installed. It is what it is. These are not brand new machines.
For A. Tates saying the seller should post a picture of the product and he somehow feels cheated because the system has some minor blemishes is what again tells you A. Tate had expectations beyond what he thought he was buying. You want to buy a iBook ? Thne cough up $1400 bucks. You want to buy a LIKE NEW one ? Then cough up $750 bucks. Refurb sellers make clear the general physical condition of these computers, may have scratches, etc. If you notice from A. Tate's review is that he never mentionedif the computer actually worked or not, or lived up to what the seller said it would do. I imagine he couldn't come up with an complaints about this because it did work as the seller described.
In all honesty, and this is my opinion, A. Tate wanted to buy a new Mac on the cheap and to be able towalk around with a shiney new Mac to impress his friends without actually paying for it, and because the "light up" Apple on the back of the computer didn't impress his friends, and he had an eight year old computer, which worked fine as advertised, he was not happy. I suggest A. Tate save up his allowance a little longer and buy a $1200 new machine if he is buying to keep up appearances and impress his friends. Otherwise he should not complain about getting exactly what he paid for.
This type computer are great for an entry level person to learn about how Apple OS systems and computers work, they do basic internet functions, and if you are a person who works on a computer, doing things like writing, email, spread sheets, etc., they are fine. If you want to watch music or movie videos, play video games, have the highest speed possible, or impress your friends, this may not be for you.
I work from home, generally on a desktop PC, but a laptop like this works great as second computer for me, and for me it is functional as opposed to a tablet. It was a great way for me to be able to use an Apple when I can't even come close to affording a new one. I have bought two Apple refurb laptops, and one desktop. I got what I paid for and they worked perfectly fine because I understood what I was getting when I bought them, and I bought them for that purpose with any other expectations. In conclusion, I think A. Tate is just being a cry baby because he didn't get a fancy new Apple for $200 bucks.
Just a note. I bought the 2 laptops to have one for business purposes, the second for my husband and I to use as a personal computer for doing social media, check email, read media, etc. from. The desktop Apple we bought was for the same reason as the second laptop. I use my desktop PC for the majority of my business work. I understood what I was buying, and I got it. I don't think I have much more than $500 tied up in those 3 Apple computers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 7:23:17 PM PDT
caligirl says:
ohhhh thank you! i have always wanted an apple but can't afford a new one so i have been researching the used apples. and the comment you replied to had been ringing in my ears! thank you for giving me back my hope of a working used apple. it don't have to look all that pretty,i just want it to work...

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 8:32:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2013 8:38:14 PM PDT
K. nguyen says:
Are you defendding a dirty smelly product Dorothy Cole?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2013 8:00:32 AM PDT
Didn't sound like she supported dirty smelly computers to me! I've bought many used apples and non are perfect but they work.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 3:27:45 PM PDT
Glory says:
Not without paying for the shipping and 20% restocking fee. Big rip off.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 3:29:23 PM PDT
Glory says:
You have to pay for return shipping and 20% "restocking" fee.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2013 3:30:30 PM PDT
Glory says:
Don't buy it! It's a rip off. Lap top has a hardware defect.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›