The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Could be a Great Drive..Could!, September 5, 2011
This review is from: WD My Book Live 3TB Personal Cloud Storage NAS Share Files and Photos (Personal Computers)
I've had my drive now for about 20 days now and I should state that I am probably not the normal user with how I planned to use this. I use a MACBOOK PRO, Samsung 46" Smart TV, Xbox 360, PS3, iPad, and Android powered phone as my normal category of devices. I connect my MyBook Live directly to my Apple Extreme Router (this is probably the weakest link in my setup) and then plug most of my devices directly into the router so I don't experience much lag regardless what I am doing. Not that it should matter but I have 20 MB/S download service and whatever the standard upload speed for service like this would be. Also, I have fully updated the firmware and all of my devices are fully updated. I read some reviews that said you need to do that to make it work with Lion. I did that prior to Tech Support saying it Lion wasn't supported for this drive.

The good: It has a lot of storage space at 3TB. UI is fairly easy to use. Android and Apple devices are easy to get loaded into the device. Software is easy to locate and install and is nearly identical in layout to how the Twonky server shows up on my Samsung TV.
The Bad: I have called customer support about a dozen times and usually they send me directly to level 2 support since I'm having multiple issues. I read a couple of the reviews on here as well as the manufacture comments and some of the comments don't match what Technical Support is telling me so you guys should probably try to get on the same sheet. My last conversation with Technical Support identified that this drive isn't compatible with MAC OS X Lion but in one of the reviews the manufacturer said it was. I was also told I should return my drive since it will never do all of the things I'm trying to use it for. That is unfortunate since I'm trying to make it do what the box says it can do! First issue, it wouldn't let me copy/cut multiple files that were already on the device and organize them between multiple folders. It kept giving me errors and I would have to repeat the process dozens of times to move a few files. The fix was to factory reset the device and it works a little better since that. It could also be that I organized them better before I put them on this time. That was on day one or two of owning it after putting almost a full TB on it. Next, I finally got all of the files on it which is mostly video files in the xvid, mp4 and m4v format. The drive recognizes m4v as an audio file so they don't show up in the video section at all and no matter where you find the file they "will NOT" play. Some of the M4V files and MP4 files will play but it seems random in nature. I setup most of my videos with Handbrake or Xilisoft and I was able to tell the people exactly what format. The tech guy couldn't figure it out and said it should work correctly. The solution they offered was converting everything I own to xvid. I have almost 3000 video files ranging in size for 300mb to 8tb so not practical but I actually started the process. He apologized for the inconvenience!! While I was converting I was making sure that this was actually going to fix my problem and it wouldn't. I have another 2TB drive already storing my video library and if I plug that directly into the XBOX 360 or PS3 I can play "ALL" of my files without any problems. However, if I try to play them from the twonky server wirelessly most of my files are either "Not Supported" or they just don't show up. Again, seems really random in nature so I wish I could offer you specifics about what files don't play. M4V, MP4, and XVID is about as specific as I can get. I will say that when I was trying to find a format that would work for everything, nothing HD worked. Take your pick: XVID HD, H.264 HD, MP4 HD, whatever format you have that is HD it probably wont work. Definitely don't try MKV but most stuff has issues with that. Again, even though I have 3000 video files I was willing to try to make it work so I kept trying different formats that xilisoft has to offer but never did find a universal format. I went with XVID Normal and that seems to work ok with XBOX 360 and the SAMSUNG Smart TV interface which are the primary ones I use. I've given up on the idea of getting them to work with the iPad and I'll probably switch to an android tablet to try to get support on a tablet that way.

The android and iPhone app are ok but don't try it over 3g or it will freeze with anything bigger then a song. Same goes for the iPad. Again, format is an issue. I guess I expected a built in transcoder technology since the device says it will support all of the formats and devices. Good luck trying to find a customer that is entirely apple or android. Since XBox is Microsoft and PS3 that pretty much eliminates the possibility of finding someone that is entirely one brand.

I did try toe remote web access by creating a login and having a friend login and try accessing my files. It froze their computer on three attempts and on the fourth they were able to download a song. If they left it on overnight they could get a 24MB video file but when they tried to play it the file didn't work. My friends internet is slow so once I find someone with good internet I'll give it a second try. Maybe I'll drive by a hotel tonight and give it a shot myself so I can see what issues. Again, I have extremely fast internet download and average upload speed. It's the fastest connection offered in the area and I pay a lot for it so I'm guessing it is better then what most people have unless you have FIOS. It is the new DOSICS 3.0 or whatever that is called.

When they finally said it doesn't support Lion yet they recommended me put all the files back on from a Windows based computer. Unfortunately I got rid of those and I'm not about to buy one just to get this thing to work. I'll wait for an update that hopefully corrects one or two issues if not all of them.

iTunes works sometimes. I tried to troubleshoot not being able to see the files on from my iTunes library and they said it was because MAC OS Lion isn't supported. I suspect that the guy I talked with knew less about the device then I did or was just in too much of a hurry to actually try to help me. I eventually ran one of the file update buttons (rescan) in the UI and after that I could see the files on the hard drive. It doesn't organize them the same way as the Twonky does for everything else so it is pretty much useless unless you know exactly what you want out of all of your compatible files. It just puts them all together in one huge view similar to looking at "All Music" in the normal iTunes library. If you have multiple iTunes libraries this can still be a nice tool. I wish it was better organized or even matched the twonky folder view. The drive itself builds its own playlists based on what you listen to so it is just a bunch of files that you can access. I have to play with that more but it wasn't really why I bought the drive since I never use iTunes accept as it relates to my iPad.

Your probably asking why I don't get rid of the thing with all of these problems. Mainly because of price and because there just aren't a lot of other options anyway. Besides, I've already got my entire library on the thing at this point. I just wish that someone at WD had troubleshot this this in the real world outside of the lab. My door is always open so feel free to swing by if your reading this. The goal is a good working product that supports a lot of the customers that would use it. I don't think this product does that. It's a great idea and no matter what it is still 3TB but I think I'll continue to keep a back-up on my 2TB USB drive.

***Update on November 15th. I've now had the drive for a while now and have updated it with every update from the manufacturer but continue to have problems. I have about a dozen or so files that I can't delete no matter what I try so I just moved them into their own folder to separate them from my good files. The drive overheats a lot even though I have it all by itself on a well ventilated shelf. Every once in a while, probably because of how hot it gets, it shuts down. I still haven't found a universal file format that works with everything. I found that sometimes works with my PS3 and always works with my Samsung Smart TV. Most of the time they work with the XBox 360 but I usually just use the Smart TV interface in that room. I got rid of the iPad and switched to Google which got rid of that issue since most of the files work with Google. Finding the right program to stream with can be a challenge. If you haven't noticed, most of the reviews got a manufacturer comment but mine didn't. Still waiting for them to say my analysis is incorrect but all of my issues are legit so just realize the drives limitations when you buy it. What this drive really needs is a transcoding application that detect what drive you streaming to and makes the necessary changes to the output for it to work. Either that or build that into the Android/iPad app. Still doesn't fix the XBox 360/PS3 compatibility issues. One comment I did get from someone was whether it works with OSX after the update. My drive is fully updated but continues to work the same. It works, sort of, but I still have problems with moving files around, renaming files, or deleting files but I can access the drive and put files on it without problems. I forgot to mention that the remote access works for smaller files but don't anticipate being able to watch the larger movies from a remote computer. For some reason it works sometimes on my Samsung Galaxy S2 through ATT 3G+ but doesn't work from the computer. I think the computer tries to download the whole file rather then stream it. When watching on my phone, it isn't as reliable as NETFLIX so take that for what it is worth. Maybe if you have 4G it will work better.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 22, 2012 8:21:21 AM PDT
We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the My Book Live and our technical support, as this is not the typical experience we see with the device. Upon the My Book Live's initial release, Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) had not been released, and was therefore incompatible at that time. We have since applied a firmware update to the device, which added compatibility with the latest version of Mac OSX. The media server settings in the My Book Live are managed using Twonky Media Server. On pages 116 - 119 in the user manual, you can find detailed instructions on how to configure and customize the media server.
User's Manual: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf
Concerning the issue you have described related to streaming HD content, you will want to attempt to hardwire the devices on your network via Ethernet, directly to the router as a troubleshooting step to see if the issue persists. We would appreciate the opportunity to further assist you, and resolve any further concerns you may have with the device and/or your experience. You may contact us at 1 (800) 275-4932, or via our support website at: http://support.wdc.com/rs/. Please indicate within the online case creation or with the first support agent you speak with, that you are responding to an Amazon review, so we route you and your information to the correct team members.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2011 6:15:33 AM PDT
@homemom says:
I've seen reports that they released a firmware update that now lets this drive work with osx Lion and time machine... can you confirm if it does? My Iomega is useless now that I updated to Lion and I'm looking for a new solution.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:56:03 PM PST
It works with OSX but if you have problems and have to call technical support they will tell you that it doesn't. Everything works "OK" but I have all of the problems I listed in the review still. If you plan to continually move around files it can be painful but it can be done. Not sure if that help but you can use this drive. I have about half a dozen files that I can't delete at all from the drive at this point. I just moved them all to a folder to keep them separate.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 8:40:01 PM PST
I'm sure this outpouring was therapeutic but way, way too long. I had similar problems with an external drive and an Airport Extreme router. After hours of calls, I discovered that the drive needed to be reformatted from NTSC to FAT32. If you don't, you will have problems in the Apple environment. To do this, you will need to download Seagate disc wizard but be sure to back up your drive as this will erase the drive in the reformatting process.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 6:56:22 PM PST
I have a windows 7 solution for the dead files. There is a program called files assasin, its free and removes everything. not sure it will work on any apple machine

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 11:25:19 AM PST
One of the firmware updates seems to have made this issue less annoying. 99% of the time the file will now delete without any problems. If I try deleting more then a couple of files I still get an error and have to repeat the delete with each individual file but now that I have my files organized better I don't have this issue as much either. I made the mistake of using this with Time Machine so now I'm stuck with about 1TB of the drive that I can't utilize. I get an overheat error almost daily so I'm expecting the drive to wear out in a few months so I'm hoping they come out with a new version that I can give a try.

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Mar 22, 2012 8:21:21 AM PDT
User's Manual: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 5:48:38 AM PDT
Some advice regarding playing m4v video files which have been transcoded using Handbrake. I have found that if you store direct to MBL unit from Handbrake the video files will not play. However if you first store the files on your laptop and then transfer them to your MBL unit the files should play. I have tested this workaround on several videos and it works.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›