1.0 out of 5 stars I am shocked, January 23, 2010
This review is from: Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680) Configuring Windows 7 (MCTS) (Microsoft Press Training Kit) (Paperback)
I am the type of person that never writes reviews. This might actually be my first.

This is one of the most poorly written books I have ever read. I am only on page 136 and and I am totally frustrated by the amount of errors in this book. I can't get through a single exercise without having to go on the net to find the correct commands to get through the exercise. Did anyone test this out as it was written? I have 7 certifications and have read through many books and never come across a book with this many errors.

You can still learn from this book and pass your exam but it will just take a lot longer because you have to go online to verify everthing you read.

Not sure about the other Windows 7 study guides but if you are debating between this and others, go with the others.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2010 5:24:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2010 5:28:46 PM PST
Orin Thomas says:
All of the errors are listed in a thread at the bottom of this product page on Amazon in an errata thread. This is the thread that comes up when you enter 70-680 errata into your favorite search engine and posting it here on Amazon shows that I've been open with where there are errors in the text. However I feel your review is as the number of errors found by readers in the text does not reflect the experience you report in your review as if it did, the errata thread would be significantly larger.

There is only one practice exercise (out of the 40 or so in the book) where incorrect commands listed lead to a person being unable to complete the exercise, and this is at the end of the exercise related to deployment to a VHD (see the corrections for page 108 in the errata thread).

If there are other errors that you have detected not listed in the errata thread, feel free to post them in public in this thread or email them directly to orin@windowsitpro.com.

All reported errata is corrected in the later printings of this book.

Good luck on your exam.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 5:57:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 18, 2011 5:41:17 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 7:25:16 PM PST
Zoltan says:
It was a while since I read this book, but generally speaking all MS books are/were ckocker-block of errors: pages upon pages of errata. While reading this book I had issues with a number of exercises being incorrect, specifically the image management in the early chapters. As I progressed through the book I gave up reading the errata - it's like reading a complementary book. Instead I Googled the material and read TechNet. In some MS books in the MCSE upgrade to MCITP-EA track I found a number of lesson reviews where the questions and answers were shifted, e.g. the answer for Q4 was given in A5. First I scratched my head, then I just burst out in laughter. I think it is unacceptable. I think I see the trend: just shovel out the book as quickly as possible onto the shelves. Not very professional.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 8:20:28 PM PST
Orin Thomas says:
Unfortunately all books have errata. This one has been out for some time and we've done corrected print runs. If you purchased from Amazon in the last six months, very little errata would apply and most of the errata items were found in the first few weeks after release. Also - if you register your book at the website, you get the updated PDF when we do one with all the corrections applied to the text. In the long run the book is about helping you and other people pass the exam - in the errata for this book there are very few errors of fact that would cause you problems on the 70-680 exam. Good luck and I hope you pass the exam.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2012 2:12:05 PM PDT
So far in order to read this book I have to go to three different places, the Corrected reprint, the errata, and this thread that catches other things. It's pretty bad. The only problem is, I haven't found any books that are better written for this test either. Oh and I'm reading mine off the updated PDF that is still missing things, such as a critical exercise in Chapter 2 that is required for progression in Chapter 3.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›