4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Awesome Price, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Pioneer SW-8MK2 Andrew Jones Designed 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer (Electronics)
I've owned the entire speaker set for about two weeks, and my assessment of these speakers is positive. For starters, they sound great - better than some other high end speaker systems I've experienced. Bose or Klipsch speakers have nothing on the Pioneers, despite being several times more expensive. I've watched movies on them, played video games, listened to music and these speakers easily adapt to each usage scenario. Yesterday, I watched Black Hawk Down, and the experience was perfect. When Faith No More blasted from PA speakers in the military base, to the crackle of AK-47 fire - each sound was accurately reproduced. The subwoofer easily handed the extended bass of the helicopters crashing. Dialogue from the center channel does also sounded true to life.

For video games, I've been playing Halo 4, and I have no complaints. The rear bookshelf speakers can handle FX such as explosions, provided the crossover point is set to 100hz. I also had to boost the volume of the center channel to capture action happening directly in front of me. I have the SP-FS52's for my left and right channels, and they nearly overpowered the center speaker during intense firefights.

With music, I had to do a little more tweaking to get a result I enjoyed. I like to listen to my music in stereo mode, with the subwoofer producing the low end (2.1). I've played some Deftones, Chevelle, Lonely Island and Knife Party to EQ the speakers. My final result was raising the low end on the SP-FS52's (100hz - 400hz)a bit to enhance the tone of the bass guitar in rock music. With dubstep or rap, no adjustments were needed - the subwoofer easily handled the bass. Time and time again, I was struck by the clarity of the music - as ridiculous as this sounds, I was hearing things I've never heard before in albums that I've listened to for decades. In particular, vocals sound extremely rich. It sounds like the vocalist is literally in my living room.

Why not five stars? It's not a major issue, but I feel that the subwoofer could use further refinement. I know how good clean bass should sound - I've played the bass guitar for over a decade, and I own a high end Hartke amp/cabinet setup. My issue with the SW-8MK2 is that the attack of the subwoofer isn't quite as clean as it could possibly be. During certain metal tracks on double bass parts, the subwoofer struggles with clearly defining each hit of the bass drum. During tracks where the bass guitar is played with quick staccato notes, again the subwoofer doesn't really separate each note. Does that make it a bad subwoofer? Absolutely not - for the price, this is a fantastic subwoofer. I had to listen closely to the subwoofer to notice this discrepancy in the first place.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I have these speakers paired to a Yamaha RX-V373, and the YPAO device did setup the levels nearly perfect the first run through (minus that adjustment to the center channel).If you're looking to build your first true sound system, I would recommend these system. Dollar to speaker ratio, I'm not sure what else could sound better.

Below are links to the rest of the equipment I used during this review.

Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeakers (each)
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers
Yamaha RX-V373 5.1-Channel AV Receiver

UPDATE (06/04/2013): After using these speakers for six months, I have only grown to apperciate the sound more. No problems whatsoever.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2013 2:31:54 PM PST
L. Allen says:
Part of your issue with the sub is the receiver you are using. The low end Yamaha 471 and 473 provide very weak bass response. That's my one knock against those receivers...weak LFE output.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 12:48:37 PM PDT
C. Medlin says:
Does the sub have an audible humming noise when it it plugged in? I have the previous generation of all the same speakers and they are fantastic, but the sub hums whenever it is plugged in (even turned off with no LFE input). If you look at the previous generation Pioneer SW-8 100 Watt RMS Subwoofer System I have the same experience as the reviewer George Stillwell. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 1:13:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 23, 2013 1:14:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 1:15:13 PM PDT
No, I have had no issues with the sub humming.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2013 6:44:53 PM PDT
Ryan says:
I apperciate you!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2013 8:18:45 AM PDT
R. Cruz says:
Is the weak bass response really supposed to be a problem on the Yamaha RX-V373? I will be using a BIC Venturi V1020 powered sub and hope to add a splitter and then a V1220. I was under the impression the LFE didn't have to push much signal to a powered sub...

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 8:21:54 AM PDT
R. Cruz says:
I think that an 8 inch subwoofer is always going to be a compromise. To really be convincing a sub has to be able to move air and this gets better the bigger the speaker is typically. 8 (OK) 10 (good) 12 (better) 15 (much better-best) etc.

Your reviw really helped me though because I was afraid the Yamaha RX-V373 might not have enough power to drive the Pioneer speakers well. Sounds like you're digging them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2014 10:44:10 AM PST
Telecaster says:
Not true - if you want quicker tighter bass than the smaller cone is an advantage, not a disadvantage. Having a 12-15" cone keeping up with a 4-6" cone won't work very well with fast pace music.....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›