4.0 out of 5 stars I like it a lot, but not in love., October 20, 2009
This review is from: Cuisinart FP-12 Elite Collection 12-Cup Food Processor (Kitchen)
Let me begin by telling you this processor replaces a 30-year-old original Cuisinart DLC-8. It didn't have a wide feed tube, and had much less power, so I'm not making a comparison with a newer, comparable machine. It's kind of like comparing an economy car to a Mercedes. Also, I got it for a significant discount during a Macy's sale, which is the only reason I bought it. I don't know if I'd pay the regular price for it. Another reviewer liked the limited edition better when spending the big bucks. That said, I'm happy with it, but not as thrilled as I expected to be.

First of all, be forewarned, this baby is BIG. I have a small appliance garage on my counter. My old one fit in there facing front-to-back, with the work bowl attached and the cover inverted. This one is so large I can't face it forward -- the door won't close. So it's in sideways, with the bowls attached, but the cover sits on its side next to it, because with the large feed tube you can't just turn the lid upside down. Other appliances (hand mixer, stick blender with attachments) had to find other homes. If space is a premium for you, think hard about this one. A measurement they don't give you and which might be useful: height with bowls, but without the lid is about 12.5 inches.

One of the main reasons I wanted a new processor was power. I make an English muffin bread that has an extremely soft dough -- you might say more of a stiff batter. It doesn't do well in my large stand mixer - the dough crawls up the dough hook, so I tried using my old food processor. It bogged down and just stopped - I think the internal override must have tripped, because in a while it worked again. It's the only thing that ever completely overwhelmed that old workhouse, although it slowed down and groaned on many an occasion. This one handled it, but with a little bit of effort. You could hear it laboring, but it made it.

I do love the 3 work bowls; they fit together beautifully. You can do something in the smallest bowl, take it out and leave the stuff in there, then do the next one, and so on. The bowls below stay clean. The chopping blade and slicer/shredders work with both of the larger bowls. However, you can only use the dough blade with the largest bowl, not the middle one. I made pizza last night and since pizza dough is a smaller amount, I think it would have worked better in the smaller bowl. In the large one it kind of got lost. I was happy with the final kneading results - soft and smooth, but I had to fiddle with it a little. There was a flour ring left in around the shaft, about an inch or so radius. Nothing too disturbing. I had no residue in the corner between the bottom and sides. The adjustable slicing blade is really great - love it! And the sealed top works as advertised. It's the first time I made anything that starts with dry flour that didn't make a dust cloud around the whole machine. Also, I like the way the top attaches, with a click rather than a twist. When you need to take the top off and on several times, it seems much easier to me.

Another thing I like is the bumps they put on the bottom of both the small and large feed tubes. They grip the food in the chute better and it doesn't seem to slip sideways as easily. Perhaps Cuisinart has done this for years and I don't know it, but it's a big improvement over my old one. I also like that the smaller feed tube is a nice sized oval - in fact, about the same size as my old one. Some other models have a small circular feed tube that could hardly hold a very large carrot.

There are a lot of parts to this thing, so I think I may not bother getting it out sometimes because of the hassle. For example, I made some butternut squash soup the day after I got it. Even tho it was brand new and I wanted to try it, I didn't bother dragging the whole thing out to puree the squash, I used my stick blender instead. I think it would have done a good job, but it didn't seem worth the trouble. On the other hand, that's exactly why I have a stick blender. Maybe if I made a huge amount it would be worth it. I'm sure if you keep it on the counter it would be much handier.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2009 11:03:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2011 7:55:48 PM PST
So funny. I have the same 30-year old Cuisinart (a wedding gift) and need to replace it. I hate to do so, since it has served me long and hard, but I'm past-due for a new one. This review was very helpful. Thank you.

Amended 2/7/11: I did everything but mouth-to-mouth to keep the old one alive, including hooking it to a power strip when it wouldn't turn off! Purchased the Elite Die Cast 12 cup today. Looking forward to making soups that don't overflow into the drawers.

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 8:44:59 AM PST
Nitmar says:
Does this model have a retractable power cord?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009 1:01:59 PM PST
This review and Good Fairy's comments both hit home. My 30 year old Cuisinart 14 cup Pro has died. blade moves but does nothing and the machine sounds funny.
Good read the impartial review and I can relate fully to Good Fairy. My question; The reviewer purchased the newest model. Does it make sense to purchase or might the older models still on the market be better as tried and true and less expensive?

Posted on Jan 19, 2010 2:12:55 PM PST
R. Wilson says:
I got this as a birthday gift and it just arrived today, replacing a much older model. I was really excited by the 3 bowls until I saw that they had to be nested together to use the smaller ones--what a drag! My older model actually came with 2 bowls, one with a feed tube to use with the shredder/slicer attachments and a more compact lid to use with the blades. When I'm doing lots of cooking I often use both bowls to save washing. But with this nesting business the only way that would work is if you remember to use the smaller bowls first so you're not putting clean bowls into dirty ones. I don't know, how hard would it have been to make all the bowls work on the base? It just seems awkward.
Otherwise I just took it out of the box so can't speak to how it works compared to my older Cuisinarts. I have gone through 2 of them since they first came out; I'm a heavy user with a big family.

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 12:11:28 PM PDT
KC says:
Does it leak out the sides like the DLC 10 does and others have commented about on the web?

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 11:19:35 AM PDT
R. Sweet says:
Great review. Size: duly noted. I have been gawking @ Youtube videos of this thing in action to help decide if I want it, and to help gauge the real-life size of it, and while I believe this monster is exactly what I want, I am also thinking "and it's going to go.... WHERE????" I am trying to plot a reasonable home for it in my tiny kitchen while making plans to adopt this bad boy. I am a serious kitchen appliance junkie, so I always find a way to make my goodies fit somewhere, even if it is a bit tight. I think the size is not for everyone, and worth taking into consideration. that said, I need something top-of-the-line in performance, and that will hold up through the years. Your review, the Youtube vids, and the reviews @ Kitchen Audition have helped me decide this is what I need (want?).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 10:57:43 PM PST
yes, retractable cord

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 9:22:58 AM PST
Mary E. Long says:
just be thankful you're not using a Farberware food processor... waste of money.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 9:38:24 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2011 9:40:27 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 11:02:11 AM PST
A little off topic ... but I haven't had luck with a good english muffin recipe. Care to share yours? ;) :D
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›