Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

3.0 out of 5 stars Continuous References to Web Site... Why Buy the Book?, February 6, 2011
This review is from: St. Barts Breakdown: A Mick Sever Mystery (Primal Blueprint Series) (Kindle Edition)
First let me say that I am a believer in the Primal Blueprint Plan. I stumbled across Marks Daily Apple web site and wanted to learn more. I was pleased to discover that he had written a book. I figured rather than dig through the web site to find out more, I would buy the book and have the whole plan at my fingertips -- no more searching the web site.

WRONG. The book continuously gives an introduction and then section after section, refers you to for more information. It doesn't say where on the web site, either. If I have to mine through the web site, why did I need to buy the book?

I agree with other reviewers who indicate the book is very repetitive without giving solid examples -- lots of overview. There isn't a 7 day plan or 30 day plan or sample work outs, just generalities. Again, if you want examples, you are referred to the web site.

I purchased the Kindle version of the book -- there are no charts or graphs, all text. I am not sure if the printed book is presented in the same format, but I find it hard to read. For example, identifying fruits from most favorable to occasional, a chart would have been easy to read. Instead, it is written in paragraph format.

Again, I am a supporter of the plan and am beginning to adopt it myself. However, I can't really recommend the book. It seems that all the info you need is on the web site. If you buy the book, you will be referred to the web site anyway.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 28, 2011 1:08:31 AM PDT
Brian Posada says:
I just got the book yesterday got to chapter 5. I never been to his blog but its not hard to follow and though he is a bit repetitive at times, he tries to back up his points. He does say in the preface that a lot of his readers pressured him into publishing the book. Try fitting sooooo much information in one book can more tedious than just going to a blog nonetheless. I find this book more as an introduction to be sincere before jumping into his website and digging for the info.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 3:43:06 PM PDT
John Groft says:
I'm confused. I got the Kindle version too and I did have charts and graphs - plenty of them. I would also say that, with respect to the website references, Mark handles it perfectly. He places the major concepts in the book and the website is really a reference for additional details for those who want them. I find that they are largely unnecessary unless I want to dig into more detail. This book gives you the blueprint in a nutshell. It's a great reference. The details to back it up are on the site. I'm glad he did it that way. As it is, I had to trudge through more detail than I really needed to get the ideas.

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 3:09:52 AM PDT
Marcia Davis says:
Not sure if there's a kindle forum where this complaint would be more appropriate. I too have bought non-fiction books for my kindle and when they do have have charts, graphs, etc., they're nearly impossible to read. I generally now only buy fiction to read electronically -- anything with references, footnotes/endnotes, index, etc., is a pain to read and use as a reference book (although reading it on your computer can be a tiny bit better).

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 9:03:57 PM PDT
sally smith says:

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 6:45:29 AM PST
michaela says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 2:45:52 AM PST
N. Schultz says:
NO! The website is more like a very informative blog! Anyone can read it for free!

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 1:53:15 PM PDT
jood says:
Thanks. That's just the kind of information I like to know.

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 5:32:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2015 5:34:23 AM PST
M. Chavez says:
You're completely right about the book, at least the kindle version. I found it very repetitive and the science-y bits to be drawn out. I enjoyed reading about what certain foods do to your body, but to an extent. I skipped through much of the middle of the book after realizing that he puts a preface AND a review of each chapter at the beginning and end of it, respectively. I just read those, which were all very similar. Furthermore, the images that were available were too small to appreciate. I would've liked some "do this, not that" type lists that I could screen shot to refer back to. OTHERWISE, the book has great information and is very convincing. I am in my first week trying this lifestyle out and feel great so far! The calculations for BMR and determining your goal macros were very useful. I must say, I very much looked forward to the recipes he kept saying were coming at the end of the book. I was disappointed that there were just names of meals he likes and a 72hr food log, not recipes. Guess I'll have to check out the website he kept mentioning, haha.

Posted on Sep 3, 2015 7:28:14 PM PDT
Why buy it? I'll tell you why. 1. To support the author. Authors need money in order to continue to write. 2. There's a ton of information in here that you won't find on the website; this information will help support your commitment to this lifestyle. This support might register, in you, on an unconscious level - you will read what's in this book and you will be convinced on a deeper level than if you just read what's on the website. Convincing your unconscious is vital. Bear in mind what the great science writer Timothy Ferris says: "The conscious mind is like the solar system and the unconscious is like the whole rest of the universe."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›