5.0 out of 5 stars Fuji 3D Rocks! Fills the 3D content gap nicely.., September 1, 2010
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Digital Camera with 3.5-Inch LCD (Camera)
I am a long time fan of 3D and a geek, this camera was an excellent fit for me. It produces very clear, perfect 3D images with good depth. The 3.5 inch screen on the back is very High resolution (1.15 million pixels) and Displays 3D without the need for Glasses. The screen is suitable for Viewing 3D and can display a nice 3D "pop out the screen" effect if you compose the shot correctly. Everyone that has seen the camera's screen is amazed at the quality and 3D effect. There is nothing on the market to compare with this Fuji W3 at the moment, AIPTEK has a low end $200 3D camera and Panasonic has a $1400 3D HD video cam.

This is a good addition to anyone who has a 3D HDTV or 3D projector, considering there is very little to watch in 3D at the moment. The Footage looks very good on the big screen. I am watching it on a 100" projection Screen with Nvidia 3D vision Glasses and the effect is amazing. The Best 3D I have ever seen on the consumer market.

The price tag is a little high, it still makes great sense for anyone that has invested in a 3D TV and shutter glasses. 3D and 2D may also be displayed on a TV using the built in HDMI port on the Camera (adapter required)
Fuji also offers an expensive 3D printing service that will print 3D photos for about $7 per 5x7 print.

Videos are recorded in resolution up to 720P in 3D or 2D. They look sharp and clear. They may be converted to work with Youtube 3D very easily using the FinePix Studio software that comes with the camera. Youtube 3D let's people watch your videos in various 3D formats, with or without glasses.

I am overall very pleased with the W3

Cons:
1. Battery life is ~1 hour - Buy a couple spare batteries - they are as low as $4.00 on Amazon
2. 3D Shooting distance should be no less than 4 feet in auto mode, anything that comes in closer than 4 feet should be small and centered, it may even pop out of the screen!
3. Buy a medium - large case, the camera is a little large for a point and shoot.
4. Format the memory card once you install it, I ran into issues with videos cutting off until formatted.
5. 3D is not for everyone! Avoid the W3 If you cannot tolerate 3D..
6. The screen must be in the center of your field of vision for the 3D effect to work.
7. Video recordings cut off at 11 Minutes in HQ mode and begin a new recording. May be stitched together with software. Video Frame rate is very respectable for a flash recorder but not perfect, way better than the AIPTEK.

I have some movies on youtube 3D - converted with Stereo Movie Maker, search for JJROBOTEK FUJI
Use the 3D button on the player to pick your glasses format.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2010 5:00:15 PM PDT
Sami Paskin says:
Very nice report.
I own the W1 and I'm jumping to the W3 too.

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 7:17:28 PM PDT
roaeja says:
I owned the original one and I never could get 3D pictures on my
Samsung LED 3D tv. But, I was using a USB connector and not an HDMI cable. I sent that one back. I now have a Sony TX9 and it takes 3D pictures that look nice. Plus other features, touch screen, 12.5 megapixels, touchscreen, 3D scan, etc, etc. And it is compact, half the weight. Plus 720/1080i. I like it. I'm curious about the newest Fuji 3D, but will wait for more reviews.

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 7:18:24 PM PDT
roaeja says:
I owned the original one and I never could get 3D pictures on my

Posted on Sep 2, 2010 4:57:14 PM PDT
Skye says:
I also bought this camera and LOVE it!
The display on the camera renders the video and photos beautifully - everything is so lifelike in 3D.
I did submit a photo for printing (5X7 for $6.99) so am eager to see how that turned out although I don't expect to get many prints at that price!
I have not other way to view 3-D so was researching a 3-D projector.
What kind do you recommend?
What else is needed besides the glasses?
The projector has an emitter to keep the glasses in sync?
Thanks for any information you can share!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 5:58:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2010 6:02:18 PM PDT
jjRobotek says:
Yes its awesome. Acer H5360, and Nvidia 3d vision emitter and glasses, and a nvidia graphics card. Check out the 3D vision system requirements on the nvidia site. You could also use 3d vision with a 120 hz Lcd for half the price of a PJ. I got the optoma hd66 and it was a mistake. I have to use a driver for the Acer to get 3d vision to work.. I looked into the optoma glasses alone also but i could not find any evidence of it working without the presence of the nvidia emitter. If you are looking for 3d on the cheap get some colored glasses and stereo movie maker or stereo scopic player to watch them on the big screen. Stereo scopic player is included with the 3d vision bundle and extra glasses where $120.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2010 6:39:57 PM PDT
Sami Paskin says:
You could purchase the Fuji monitor 3D, a small screen of the size of a portrait that transmits the 3D very nicely. But since you are a 3D fan as I am, I sugest you jump to a 3D tv....
Some comes already with a bluray 3D and some glasses.
I have the Samsung 63" and love it.

Jump to a 3D tv or monitor!

About the cost of each picture, I even contacted them to CHECK UP, guessing (and hopping) the price was MISTAKENLY written. It was not. hehe
Sami Paskin

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 8:13:55 AM PDT
Bill says:
Thanks for the tip on the battery. I hadnnt had a chance to look into it but now I'm going to have to get a few as well as extra SD cards.

Mine is going to get a workout in a couple of weeks when the big, week long, annual event occurs in our town. Lots of parades, rodeos, concerts and bigger than usual crowd due to it being an anniversary. I also plan on taking pictures of friends and family and having prints made for gifts. There's also a local art show in which I intend to submit a print or two.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 10:07:41 AM PDT
Skye says:
Thanks for the information on your 3D projector.
I was hoping to just attach the camera to the projector using the mini-HDMI cable, thinking that would provide the video signal for right and left images. So if you are using a graphics card, you first download your 3D movie to a PC and then display it on the projector. In that case, maybe I would be better off just getting a 3D monitor and NVidia adapter for the PC.
Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 11:32:29 AM PDT
jjRobotek says:
I was torn between an 3D hdtv or a projector. I chose the nvidia route because it offers the most 3D content at the moment, 400? games, downloadable videos, 3D (field sequetial) DVDs and 3d blu ray are all possible. Even youtube 3d may be supported soon! They are even doing 3d streaming of the same events that are available on my cable TV's 3D channel; such as the Masters tournament.
Some newer and expensive 3d projectors may support 3D directly from the camera, but the sub $1000 models do not (yet).
To view the fuji recordings i plug my SD card into the PC and play them with Nvidia 3d player. Works great and gives you many options to adjust the 3d effect to your liking. The nvidia logo pops out of my 100" about 5 feet while watching their 3D test.

Make sure you read the system requirements carefully,

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 11:42:00 AM PDT
Skye says:
Sounds like a great setup!
3D is really new to me, so I appreciate all the information you've provided here - THANKS!

Stv
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (290 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $150.00