3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
"Nearing Home" by Billy Graham is an honest and thought-provoking book that will challenge the reader to consider life's brevity and if God should allow, to age gracefully. A long-time admirer of Reverend Graham, I am sad to see him aging but also happy for him that when the time comes, he will be reunited with his Savior, wife, and loved ones.
Among the points covered in the book include:
1. While work is important, it is not to be the center of our lives - that part belongs only to God.
2. While we can spend our retirement enjoying life, realize that life is a gift from God to be used for His glory.
3. Seek God's direction for your retirement - His way is always best.
4. Keep your mind and body occupied during retirement, because the devil knows that idleness and boredom leads to temptation and/or discouragement.
5. God knows our future and we need to seek His will no matter what happens.
6. Things such as wisdom, knowledge, virtue, and integrity as more precious to God than gold.
7. Exposing your children to sorrow and death will help them deal with those issues later in life.
8. The world's idea of a fountain of youth is a mirage - only God and the Bible provides and oasis for the soul.
9. Instead of denying the realities of old age, it is far better to admit and prepare for them.
10. 4 ways to deal with grief and 3 ways to help someone who is grieving a loss.
11. If we build our lives on anything other than Jesus Christ, our foundation will be shaky.
12. God wants us to be spiritually strong as we prepare for our later years.
These are just a few of the many points made by a godly man in the twilight of his life. Anyone, regardless of age or status in life, can benefit from reading "Nearing Home". Read and heed the wisdom that drips off the pages from a humble man who has been mightily used by God.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2012 3:36:25 AM PST
Richard R. Blake says:
I have enjoyed reading your reviews. We read many of the same authors.
Posted on Jan 14, 2012 9:35:54 AM PST
Michael Taylor says:
Thanks for your comment and glad to know the review was helpful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›