Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

4.0 out of 5 stars complement the website, September 20, 2010
This review is from: 7 Weeks to 100 Push-Ups: Strengthen and Sculpt Your Arms, Abs, Chest, Back and Glutes by Training to do 100 Consecutive Push-Ups (Paperback)
I've always done a variety of exercise programs and have found this one helps keep me on track. Not only am I consistently doing the hundred pushups program as spelled out on the website, but I'm more motivated to do my other fitness activities on the other days. It's nice to have everything all laid out for me, with real numbers and goals to focus on. Having those numbers help push me past the point where I may think I'm "exhausted." Three weeks ago, I maxed out on a single set of 17 pushups. Today I maxed out at 34 pushups, and that's after doing sets of 21, 25, 21, and 21 pushups. Obviously, the program works much better than if I had simply told myself to do as many as possible each day.

I started this program from the website before purchasing the book. Be forewarned that the workouts in the book don't seem to match up with the website (hence, my reason for 4 stars instead of 5). But, don't let that deter you. Stick with the book's workout or the website's workout, one or the other. I like the website because you can log your progress and even post it on Facebook if you want. Even though I'm following the website's pushups program, I'm still glad I got the book, which complements the website with motivational reading material and everything you ever wanted to know about pushups.

The hundred pushups book is inexpensive and well worth it. However, if you really want to be cheap about it, just go to the website and do the workout for free. I'm glad I bought this inexpensive book to help support the work that the author has put into developing a fine, effective exercise program.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2011 9:03:12 PM PDT
I don't get what I am doing wrong. I was going to buy the book but decided to try the workout on the website first to see if it worked well enough to get the book. I did 40 pushups the first test, touching my chest to a 4" high cup at the bottom of each rep on the initial test. I followed the program as it says, but when I get to WEEK 4 I do 21, 25, 21, 21 and then can only get about 20 of the 32 final reps. I have tried this work out day 3 times with about the same results.

Why is it that I could do twice as many push ups as you to begin with, and now I can't keep up a few weeks later while following the same program? Are you actually doing anything different than the website says now that you have the book? Is there anything in the book that would help me? Thanks for your time, I really like the idea of the program but so far it's not working out for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 12:39:03 AM PDT
Hi Douglas,
When I did this program last year, if I remember correctly, I stayed with the website, rather than following the book. I got frustrated because I had to keep repeating week 5(?) over and over again. It seemed like I maxed out at 44 pushups and then just quit the program. I assumed I just reached a limit because I was a woman or something else just made me reach my genetic max. The important thing was having a program to follow kept me exercising quite regularly. I was thinking about trying it again, maybe going by the book this time around to see if I get better results. I did it last year as a goal to reach a hundred pushups by my birthday in October (but only reached 44 pushups max). Now I'm thinking the timing is right to try this all over again. I will be happy to get 44 pushups in by my 44th birthday in October, but going for 100 pushups is an even better goal! Sorry I'm not being very helpful here. I would like to hear more if you are able to break past those barriers and what you do to make it happen!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 12:43:30 AM PDT
Hi again,
Now that I recall, one thing I may have done differently was taken longer breaks (rest periods) between sets of pushups than what the program recommended. That might explain why I could do more reps on the last set than what you are doing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›