5.0 out of 5 stars Grapes of gore., October 17, 2007
This review is from: Grapes Of Death - Special Edition (DVD)
Grapes of Death is filmed at a very beatiful location in the French country-side and moves at a very eerie, poetic, and kind of slow pace but actually uses that towards it's advantage. It has extended time periods with no dioluge and has a very poetic/artsy vibe, but is not boring at all and kept me glued to the screen with it's haunting and creepy imagery. The acting is very impressive and on par with most American horror flicks. The special effects are gore-errific and on par with most Italian horror flicks.

Instead of watching the same old Hollywood bull[...] horror that we've all seen a million times, check out this movie that not only has massive ball's, but a brain too. Grapes of Death not only pushes the envelope in gory and artistic way but also has a high level of sophistication and professionalism to it. Highly recommended.

I would put this one in my top 10 zombie films of all time next to Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Zombie, The Beyond, Re-Animater, Dead Alive, Let the Sleeping Corpses Lie, City of the Living Dead, House by the Cemetary, Deathdream, Zombie Holocaust, Burial Ground, Dead Next Door, Return of the Living Dead, The Living Dead Girl, and Cemetary Man................Apparently I have 18 top 10 zombie films..........but you get my point.

Gore includes (but is not limited to): Pitch-fork impalement, neck slicing and dicing, the coolest decapitation scene ever, zombie head-shot target practice, and a nude crucifiction.

Sex and nudity includes (but is not limited to): Lot's of nudity!

The DVD extras are limited to some interviews with Director Jean Rollin and actress Brigette Lahaie, theatrical trailer, director boigraphy. Nothing really special but nothing worth complaining about, the audio and video are great and I thank Synapse for putting out yet another old classic horror film with a great transfer on DVD for me to watch in all it's gory splendor.

Five severed thumbs up!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2007 11:53:22 AM PDT
Man one of your best ever reviews,love the five severed fingers up! I love Grapes
and feel it is without a doubt Rollins best! The music was CREAPY and loved
the scene on the train where the girl is running from the melting face dude
she runs and he is far away she looks back and the camera shows him right
behind her. COOL STUFF! Oh! And it has Brigitte Lahaie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Later

Posted on Oct 18, 2007 12:27:36 PM PDT
M, any necrophilia(hope! hope!). You've given this some high praise, I'll have to give it a gaze. Later blud...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 4:18:10 PM PDT
Jenny J.J.I. says:
Wow M. If it's that good to be rank with those other films then I'll give it a shot. All this slicing and dicing just made me hungry, Horrifically convincing review M. for this has increase my appetite ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 6:42:54 PM PDT
M. says:
C.B.- Thanks for the recommendation bud. This was a great movie to watch this month and had a real Halloween feel to it.

C.- No, just a dude that makes out with a severed head if that does anything for you.

Jenny- It is very different than the other films I mentioned but I think it's one of the best zombie pics out there.

Thanks for the comments, see ya everybody.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007 11:33:01 AM PDT
Geri says:
I love your "Five severed thumbs up" rating! I heard plenty of this film, especially from CB. So I must see it soon---ah, there are so many good ones...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007 12:03:31 PM PDT
D. Wilson says:
Great review M! Too bad Rollin would never make a movie this good again... how great is the title too, "The Grapes Of Death"!? Genius! And as CB so elliquently put it "Oh! And it has Brigitte Lahaie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2007 7:02:52 AM PDT
Mike Liddell says:
Nice review and clever on the severed thumbs you could use that everytime. Impress it makes your top 10 zombie films. I was trying to think of some zombie films you didn't mention but it's tough to decipher whats a zombie and whats not. Like Invasion of the body snatchers is that a zombie film or a alien type movie, I guess it could be both. And the Evil dead films they look like zombies or are they demons. I walked with a zombie is a classic I really like by Tourneur, Frankenstein could technically be considered a zombie he comes back from the dead, but he'd be considered a monster. Interesting topic we could make a thread of what makes a zombie a zombie. A lot of flims have zombie ish type things in them.
For newer zombie related films I like Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days later.
Later

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2007 7:21:56 AM PDT
M. says:
Thanks for the comments D. Wilson, Yes Brigitte is hot!!!!!

Hey Mike, I thought about putting Evil Dead up there, I consider it a zombie pic. Maybe Invasion? Good question. I definitaly consider Frankenstien a zombie. Anything dead that get's up and walks around is a zombie in my book. Shaun of the Dead was cool, I liked it but didn't love it. The same goes for 28 Days, I enjoyed them both but don't think I will buy them.
See ya.

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 12:04:29 PM PDT
What's up M?!?! I just watched this and man!!!!! Too freakin cool.
Not sure if I'd consider this a zombie film though, but there are similiarities.
Great list, miss chattin' with ya dude...

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 4:08:56 PM PDT
What would you recommend for beginning Zombie watchers? Good review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (27 customer reviews)

$19.95 $10.99