4.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its cover, July 27, 2009
This review is from: Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence (Hardcover)
A few months ago I joined the Thomas Nelson Publishers blog book review team. What a novel idea. I signed up, agreed to write a review and publish it on my blog as well as one other commercial site. In exchange, I received the book I chose to review in the mail.

I chose "Jesus Calling," a devotional by Sarah Young.

I was drawn to the content based on a few tweets from others reading the devotional. I grew up in my faith with the Oswald Chambers classic "My Utmost for His Highest." I love my online devotional time on the Jesuit site [..]--one of my favourite experiences on the web. I also love Henri Nouwen's "Bread for the Journey."

Now "Jesus Calling" is fast becoming another classic in my life. Sarah Young writes what she hears Jesus speaking to her in her spirit. She has honed her listening through years and years of writing in her journal and being attentive to what the Spirit wants to say to her.

As I have spent time in "Jesus Calling, "I have heard Jesus speaking to me many times in beautiful, fresh ways. Sometimes I hear Sarah's personal filter--she is the pen, the messenger, after all--but I also recognize this as the voice of my Shepherd.

Here are a few of my favourite calls:

* "Rest in My Presence, allowing Me to take charge of this day. Do not bolt into the day like a racehorse suddenly released. Instead, walk purposefully with Me, letting Me direct your course one step at a time."

* "You are on the right path. Listen more to Me, and less to your doubts. I am leading you along the way designed just for you."

* "You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today. It is in the present moment that I walk close to you, helping you carry your burdens. Keep your focus on My Presence in the present."

I definitely recommend "Jesus Calling." My only caveat comes with the actual design. Here's what I suggest: Please don't judge this book by its cover. I was surprised when I opened the parcel I received in the mail. I was actually somewhat taken aback. My heart sank somewhat, because this book came dressed as a very dated, and forgive me for this, missionary. You get the picture. I had to force myself to pass through the visual barrier. The size and design also visually placed it in the gift book category, which surprised me. I am in my thirties and I have never bought a Christian gift book. That's just me.

As I dove into the content, however, wanting to keep up my end of the agreement, I was drawn in by the fresh writing. This book has taken me new places with Jesus. There's a lot of wisdom here, so much Beauty and great Depth.

"Jesus Calling" is worth laying down all your preconceived ideas about where you might receive and delving deeply into this revelation of Jesus.

So, while the design placed this book for me in a different audience; the content of this book crosses generations for those who want to experience Jesus in a fresh way.

If you can pierce through the visual barrier of the book jacket, the content will grab your heart, because it is Jesus speaking though one of his beloved daughters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2011 1:33:42 PM PDT
To me what you say is true. I believe she meant for it to just what it is...help for getting a closer life with Jesus, especially during times that are difficult, stressful, etc. Times when our only real help is the Lord himself. Not a total call on what it takes to be a true follower of His 24/7.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 7:23:36 AM PST
Beautifully written, thank you. I too, as Sarah's mother, have terminal cancer. When I was diagnosed I had a wonderful lady give me a devotional that meant a great deal to her which made the book soooo special for me (it wasn't this book). I have had 2 close friends give me this book in the last couple of months and I love it. It does help me to feel that special closeness to my Father which I have sought for many years. I have decided that this book will be the one that I give to the new friends and patients that I meet as I continue my cancer treatments and make my way to my heavenly Father. Thank you so much for your lovely review! May God Bless You and Yours!!

Posted on Aug 14, 2013 10:52:53 AM PDT
I am reading this review at the perfect time in my life.
Bless you and Thank you

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 11:27:29 AM PST
Please read this book instead that thoroughly exposes Jesus calling by a former new ager Warren B Smith This is a MUST READ for all Christians
"Another Jesus Calling"
"Another Jesus" Calling

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 5:23:06 PM PST
Vic Zarley says:
if Jesus were to speak to us, how would He do it? I know there is another spiritual realm that is demonic, but do we know our Shepherd's voice? As I read God Calling as well as this book, Jesus Calling, my Spirit recognizes my Savior, Jesus.

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 7:52:57 AM PST
This book is channeled. That is all that needs to be said. Any christian who is familiar with New Age practices will understand what that means. Stay away from this just as any other channeled New Age book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2014 7:53:51 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 30, 2014 7:54:36 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2014 7:41:28 AM PST
N. Rich says:
Thanks Daniel I could not have said it any better, so many are being deceived by this new age book and the voice they are hearing is NOT Jesus, but the counterfeit Jesus! People need to get into the word of God to recognize the difference!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 12:52:11 PM PDT
About That Jesus Calling - 10 Things You Might Not Know
December 19th, 2013 | Author: Lighthouse Trails Editors

1. Did you know that Sarah Young says she had been inspired by the "Jesus" of a book called God Calling?

2. Did you know that Christian publisher Harvest House's book The Encyclopedia of New Age Beliefs says that God Calling is an example of a channeled New Age book "replete with denials of biblical teaching"?1

3. Did you know that the "Jesus" of God Calling teaches that God is "in" everyone?

4. Did you know that the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling contradicts the Jesus of the Bible?

5. Did you know that the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling rejects the Jesus of the Bible's warnings about the future and tells us to "laugh" at the future?

6. Did you know that the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling frequently flatters his followers, which contrasts the way Jesus Christ spoke to people?

7. Did you know that Sarah Young's "Jesus" revises the night that Jesus Christ was born and calls it a "dark night" in a "filthy stable" in "appalling conditions" even though the Bible says the shepherds rejoiced in all that they had seen that night? 2

8. Did you know that the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling revises the accounts of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph of the Bible?

9. Did you know that the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling encourages his followers to practice contemplative "listening" prayer and to have a "buffer zone of silence" with no warning about seducing spirits?3

10. Did you know that the "Jesus" of Jesus Calling emphasizes New Age terms and concepts throughout the book?

Posted on Jul 31, 2014 4:15:29 PM PDT
Well, if you like Henri Nouwen, it's no wonder you liked "Jesus Calling" since both authors endorse Hindu/New Age "spirituality" and "meditation" (which is actually the opposite of Biblical meditation that requires the mind to be engaged, switched on and thinking.) Beware of this wolf in sheep's clothing professing to "hear" from "Jesus." This is just more New Age channeling.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (8,569 customer reviews)
 (7,971)