10 of 11 people found the following review helpful
A MUST for any Queen fan!,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Queen 40, Volume 3 (Audio CD)
Bought this package as a Chrstmas present for myself. Couldn't resist, especially with the "Lightning Deal" discount.
The package contains Queen's final 5 albums: "The Works", "A Kind of Magic", "The Miracle", "Innuendo", and "Made in Heaven"
While most of these albums weren't very popular in the US when originally released, these albums contain some of Queen's best work. While I love the "heavier" sound of early-mid 1970's Queen, these 5 albums feature a more polished, more mature Queen.
While each of these albums are worth owning on their own merit, what really makes this collection are the bonus EP's.
"The Works" EP:
* "I Go Crazy" - A non-album "B" side, written by Brian May. Great song and a Queen fan fave.
* "I Want To Break Free" - Single remix, over a minute longer than the original album version. GREAT SONG.
* "Hammer to Fall" - UK single remix, which demonstrated Queen could still rock as hard as any heavy metal band.
* "Is This the World We Created" and "It's a Hard Life" - Both recordings here are from Live in Rio, 1985. IMHO, Queen was always a band better appreciated live than on vinyl, as they always gave new interpretations of their songs.
* "Thank God It's Christmas" - Queen's Christmas single, although never featured in any Queen concert, is one of the best originally penned Christmas song from any rock group.
"A Kind of Magic" EP:
* "A Kind of Magic" - This version of Roger Taylor's classic was the version heard on the Highlander movie. Different than the album version. IMHO, a better version!
* "One Vision" - Original single version, perhaps the one many casual Queen fans are more familiar with, as this version accompanied the video.
* "Pain is so Close to Pleasure" - Released as a single in the USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, and the Netherlands, but never had an offial video to promote the song.
* "Forever" - A piano instrumental version of "Who Wants to Live Forever" Excellent keyboard work from Freddie
* "A Kind of Vision" - This was the original "vision" of the song, but Queen realized that it should be 2 distinct songs. This is why bonus material is so important. Although a great song on it's on, you can hear why Queen broke it into 2 songs. Great hearing theevolution of material.
* "One Vision" - the Live at Wembley version. Again, Queen's song takes on a new life in the live version. GREAT!
* "Friends Will Be Friends Will Be Friends" Another remaix of this great song.
"The Miracle" EP:
* "I Want it All" - Radically different from the album version, this hard rocking version is a WINNER!
* "The Invisible Man" - The early version of the song, sung by Roger Taylor, rather than Freddie (on the album version). I like Roger's version better!
* "Hang on in There" - Song written for The Miracle album that didn't make the final cut. Freddie knew his days were limired, and Queen worked more closely than ever before, hence more material. IMHO, could have easily replace a few songs that did make the cut.
* "Hijack My Heart" - Another song which featured Roger Taylor as the lead vocalist. Didn't make the original album, but was released as a "B" side to the "Invisible Man" single. Both Roger and Brian May were fine vocalist, but Freddie had no equal. Still, this is a GREAT song and shows that Roger should have sung lead more frequently.
* "Stealin'" - Another non-album "B" side (Breakthru) shows Queen's musical versatility.
* "Chinese Torture" - An instrumental featuring the fantastic guitar work of Brian May.
* " The Invisible Man" - The 12" single version, with Freddie on vocals and a club dance rhythm track.
* "I Can't Live Without You" - A "new" remixed version from 1997. More of a hard rocking version than the funkier album version. Leaves you wanting MORE of these remixes and tidbits.
* "Lost Opportunity" - A bluesy song written by Brian May after Innuendo was finished and Queen already began working on the next album. "B" side of the UK single "I'm Going Slightly Mad". Early Queen had a very bluesy feel, something the band dropped for 10+ years. Good to hear the sound again, although Roger or Freddie might have been better on vocals.
* "Ride the Wild Wind" - Early version of the song with Roger singing the guide vocal, replaced by Freddie on the album version. Roger's voice was at it's peak here, but the band knew Freddie was dying, thus feature him as much as possible.
* "I'm Going Slightly Mad" - A jovial Freddie, demonstrating that he kept his sense of humor till the end.
* "Headlong" - Demo version of the song, featuring Brian on guiding vocals, as Freddie saved his voice for the final take. Interesting version, as Brian sounds great.
"Made in Heaven" EP:
* "Heaven for Everyone" - A Roger Taylor song written for his other band, The Cross. Freddie made a guest appearance (1987), recording a complete track of the song, which was used for this 1995 Queen single version.
* "It's a Beautiful Day" - Originally recorded by Freddie back in 1980 for The Game, it was left unfinished until the 1995 Made in Heaven album. This is the version released on the "B" side of the Heaven for Everyone single.
* "My Life has Been Saved" - Written by John Deacon in 1989 and released as a B side to the "Scandal" single, was reworked for the Made in Heaven album.
* "I Was Born to Love You" - Freddie recorded this in 1984 for his Mr. Bad Guy album. The recording company wanted a hit single, thus the song was released with heavy use of synthesizers. This version is the original, stripped down version, featuring Freddie's vocals and piano work. Freddie's voice was all that was ever needed to make a hit.
* "Rock in Rio Blues" - A live jam from the 1985 Rock in Rio festival. Freddie nails this blues influenced jam session!
* "A Winter's Tale" - Freddie knew he was dying when he wrote this song, telling the band to finish the song when I'm gone. It's amazing that Freddie still had range and power in his voice, even as he was dying.
All in all, this package is a MUST HAVE for any Queen fan!!