5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars but not perfect, April 22, 2007
This review is from: Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Silver) (Electronics)
This camera deserves 5 stars if you need a camera that easily fits in your pocket or purse and is ready to use whenever that picture or movie moment arrives, even under water. Considering the varied picture taking situations, action, and lighting conditions, the performance was beyond my expectations. The only significant limitation is seeing the display in bright sunlight or under water, even when the screen is set at its brightest. However, aiming was intuitive enough that I never missed a shot and I was able to change modes even under water (but I did practice switching between underwater wide 2 and movie ahead of time). One feature that would be an improvement would be the ability to zoom while taking a movie.

I received this camera just a couple days before leaving on a cruise so I didn't have any time to practice with it. Be careful not to have your finger in front of the lens, especially under water where you may not be watching the screen. Also be aware that when you zoom in for movies that the image movement is also magnified. The wide angle underwater movies are much better than at full optical zoom (digital zoom is off). After a couple days the controls were easy to use to change modes and review pictures and movies.

I used 1 gig cards and the highest resolution which provided about 240 pictures or about 40 minutes of movies. Switching back and forth was easy. Movie recording will continue until the card is full or the battery runs out, not just short clips. My clips were too short until I was comfortable that I would not quickly fill up the memory card or run out of battery. Under water pictures were superb with a natural shift in color toward green. I recharged the battery every other night. The battery was able to take about 100 pictures and 15 minutes of movie between recharges. I recommend a spare battery as it did indicate it was getting low a couple times and ran out once.

The camera was also used in daylight, inside, with and without flash, even night shots (the auto setting was better than Night Scene for harbor lights at night. The camera was steadied on the railing).

I purchased a lanyard with metal clasp at Sports Authority for a dollar which provides a very secure leash. With the lanyard around my neck I could tuck the camera in my shirt pocket. I was always ready for the next picture opportunity without worrying about dropping it.

I'm very pleased with the picture quality although it may not match a camera with a much larger lens system, but it was great to be able to take pictures and movies when I would not have had my larger camera available. The 15 fps movies do not match a 3CCD digital video camera, but they are acceptable. I even recorded short clips during live theater performances (with the screen brightness set at its minimum) and I was pleased with the quality from this tiny camera.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]