Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

5.0 out of 5 stars **UPDATED**Would not consider anything other than Square Trade, October 14, 2011
This review is from: 2-Year SquareTrade Warranty plus Accident Protection for Kindle Fire (First Generation), US customers only (Accessory)
****Update 04/11/12****

As my initial review was written based on my experience with SquareTrade on items other than the Kindle Fire (which had not even been released at that time) I wanted to update with info relating specifically to the Fire warranty service.

I have had to contact Square Trade because of an issue with one of my Kindle Fires and I mistakenly called the usual general warranty claim telephone number on the SquareTrade website. SquareTrade has a designated Kindle Fire specific warranty claim number which is listed on the warranty confirmation email customers receive after purchasing the Fire's warranty. It is 1-866-374-9939. Once I was connected to the right person (this was all in one phone call in less than five minutes) my issue was handled quickly, with no fuss, I did not have to provide any additional information and I had a replacement Kindle in less than 48 hours at no charge to me.

Another reviewer had mentioned concern at the lack of a paper warranty, this does not bother me. I have my email warranty, all of my warranties are available on the SquareTrade site and I no longer have to deal with lost paperwork etc. Even when transferring or cancelling a warranty, the steps are laid out in easy to follow directions on the SquareTrade website.

Someone had mentioned that they were bothered at the lack of Kindle Fires' serial numbers listed on the Warranties. I own three Kindle Fires, one is mine and the other two are my kids. When they are turned on in the top corner they say Helen's Kindle, Helen's 2nd Kindle, Helen's 3rd Kindle, presumably because it's through my account that they are registered. When calling for warranty service the SquareTrade rep asked me which Kindle I was initiating a claim against and I only had to say Helen's Kindle - that's it.

Square Trade is providing me with worry free protection for my Kindle Fires. I have contacted them specifically regarding a serious issue with one of my Fires and everything was handled to my satisfaction in under 15 minutes. In fact, I found the warranty claim with my Fire to be handled more smoothly/expediently than in my warranty issues for my other products. After experiencing the warranty claim process for the Kindle Fire my five star rating remains the same.

****Initial Review October 14, 2011****

Had to stop and review after seeing the low two star rating for Square Trade. I initially found Square Trade on ebay when purchasing used electronics. Square Trade offers warranties on used items purchased on that site. It sounded too good to be true so I did some research and after which I realized that I had been wasting my money purchasing warranties at Best Buy and other retailers. Square Trade has been rated across the board as excellent, recently winning a 2011 customer service award. I am a Square Trade customer for many things that the company offers warranties for and I list it in my ad if I am selling used electronics (I sold my kids Wii and all games and accessories listing Square Trade as a warranty provider).

Items in my home that are currently under warranty with Square Trade; Breville Juice and Blend, 2 flat screens, 1 laptop, Kitchenaid stand mixer and a bunch of smaller ticket items. I have had one occasion to contact Square Trade for an item under warranty and received excellent customer service throughout speaking with a real person without having to hang around on hold for an hour or more.

I would hate to think that anyone would hesitate to purchase a warranty through Square Trade based on one customers negative experience with billing. In purchasing warranties with Square Trade I have never had one problem, in fact if anything I found Square Trade to be over accommodating to achieve customer satisfaction (one time I called for a warranty quote and had a code for a discount not realizing that it had expired a few days before, Square Trade allowed me to receive the discount on my warranty purchase).

I recommend Square Trade to family, friends and acquaintances all the time. I believe in the service/company and based on my experience know that if I did have a problem that it would be resolved to my satisfaction. Square Trade is slowly becoming the standard in warranty providers with even Costco now offering Square Trade extended warranties for their tvs.

*****UPDATE October 30, 2011*****

I went ahead and purchased my three warranties today 10/30/2011. One transaction for three warranties (another reviewer had mentioned if purchased together that the warranties were somehow tied together--not the case)and shortly afterwards received three separate confirmation emails from Square Trade, one for each Kindle. This is the message from them:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please read this information so you know how your pre-ordered Kindle warranty works:

* You have already been billed for this warranty. If you do not want to pay for this warranty now, just cancel it & repurchase the warranty up to 30 days after your Kindle ships
* Your coverage will not start until after your Kindle ships, this ensures you get a full 2 years of coverage
* You will not receive your warranty welcome mailer until after your Kindle ships

We will also send a final confirmation email when your device ships. Both the email and mailer will contain your coverage start date.

If you have any questions, please call us at 1-866-374-9939, 6am to 10pm PST.

Sincerely,

The SquareTrade Team

............Then at the bottom of the email they address postponing the start of the warranty if you are purchasing it as a gift for someone else........

If you've been very generous and purchased this warranty as a gift for somebody, call us at 866-374-9939, 6am to 10pm PST to transfer the care plan to the recipient.
You can also call to update the start date of your warranty to the day you plan on gifting your Kindle.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2011 12:09:50 PM PDT
Cars&Guitars says:
FINALLY A GOOD REVIEW. I'm so disgusted at how dumb these people are by rating SquareTrade negatively because they never received their item or because they got charged too early. BOO HOO. Their loss. They shouldn't even be buying the warranty so early anyway, when the Kindle Fire isn't out for 5 weeks. I'm glad you had good experience with Square, I plan on buying myself a warranty as soon as I'm happy with the Fire once its delivered to me. They seem to be very reliable and I love that you can easily replace your Kindle if it breaks and even get an upgrade too. I wish more warranties are like that. Thanks for the helpful 5-star review, you deserve a cookie.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 5:50:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2011 10:03:14 AM PDT
Jenna_Prince says:
Thanks for your response. I could not believe the two star rating on Square Trade so I had to stick my two cents in.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 7:40:01 PM PDT
Jimmy Flax says:
I hope you're as thrilled with their service when you don't receive anything from them and they don't answer your emails.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2011 4:25:00 AM PDT
Jenna_Prince says:
I don't understand what you are waiting to receive from them. Also I have never had a problem in calling them directly and quickly being able to speak to a Rep, I have never contacted Square Trade through email.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 5:58:19 AM PDT
Thanks for the tip! I actually found some coupon codes. Would it be advisable to purchase the warranty separately from Square Trade? I think that is the only way the discount code can be applied.
Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 6:06:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2011 10:13:54 AM PDT
Jenna_Prince says:
The only way discount codes can be applied is if the warranty is purchased directly from Square Trade. Sorry Amazon! But we are all about saving money!****checked the cost of this exact warranty when purchased directly from Square Trade. Even with a discount code for 20% off, it is priced at $79.99, which is no where near the deal of $44.99 offered here on Amazon.

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 8:20:46 AM PDT
Diane says:
Will I be able to get the warranty after I get the Knidle Fire

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 10:11:06 AM PDT
Jenna_Prince says:
Directly through Square Trade you have- I believe- 90 days after the purchase of a new item to obtain a warranty. But this is purchasing directly from Square Trade and not through Amazon. The deal Amazon is offering is a significant savings on the same warranty purchased from Square Trade. I do not know how long Amazon will have the Square Trade deal after the Kindle is released.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2011 12:27:38 PM PDT
Diane says:
Thanks i'm thinking then to purchase closer to ship date what do you think

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 6:20:41 AM PDT
N. Helton says:
I think - Yes, purchase closer to ship date. Makes good sense, and your post shows you are a thinker.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›