3.0 out of 5 stars Nice look, good features, ok quality, November 1, 2007
This review is from: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer (Personal Computers)
Update 12/24/2011! >>> See an update to my original post at the bottom of this review!!! <<<

I've had these speakers for about three months now and they have the potential to be and sound amazing, however for one reason or another, they just aren't and don't.

The first annoying thing is the length of the satellite speaker cables. NONE of them are really long enough for their intended uses. The front left/right speakers only have about 6 feet of cable. If you put the sub woofer on the floor to the right or left of your desk, there isn't enough cable to run to the farthest left/right speaker. I had to purchase extension cables to make this work. The rear right and left speakers have much longer cables, but even these are only about 15 feet long. Again, if you place the sub woofer on the floor to one side of your desk, 15 feet isn't long enough to run back around a desk, then to some point behind the operator. These should be at least 25 feet long. Again, I had to use an extension cable to make the furthest rear speaker reach where I needed it.

When I first installed them, I felt like they didn't have as full a sound as my previous stereo speakers, but I chalked that up to the difference between a three speaker (two desktop, one sub woofer) system and this one. They sounded kind of "airy" and light, but some adjustments to my computer sound settings remedied most of that complaint. Now most of the time they're fairly clear, but very often any bass notes will cause distortion in the front right/left speakers. This is something I only noticed with extremely loud volumes in other speaker systems I've owned. At low volumes on music with no bass they sound great though....with one tiny exception...

I'm not sure why, maybe it's the extension cables, or just the fact that I've had to run the speaker cables in close proximity to my power cables, but I experience occasional popping in ALL the right/left speakers of this system. The center channel speaker doesn't seem to have this problem. The pops sound like I'm listening to music on an old LP that has become scratched. They are occasional and random, but frequent enough that they are a source of annoyance.

I wish I had another 5.1 speaker system to compare these to, but I'm not made of money and can't run out to buy another system to make a comparison. I purchased these on the generally good reviews I'd seen for them online and because they were reasonably priced with a good set of features. I use these speakers for listening to music, watching movies, and playing games. I'm willing to put up with the issues for now, but I'm probably going to replace them as soon as I can.

!!! Update - 12/24/2011 !!!

I know it's been a while since I reviewed these but there seems to have been a lot of discussion surrounding them so I wanted to give an update. I still haven't actually replaced these speakers at this time. While I stand by the comments I made at the time, I believe my overall opinion has changed some since then. I no longer notice the popping noise I intially described. I haven't heard it in quite some time but I suspect this is because I've since changed the mother board in my system and I'm not actually using the rear speakers at this time. My office space and living arrangements just don't support their use right now. Under these circumstances, the speaker system has been performing well for almost four years now. Long term durability and quality seem good, so these might be a good set of speakers to pick up if gently used. Looking back, knowing what I know now and with the perspective of 20/20 hindsight, I would probably purcahse these speakers again.

I'd like to thank everyone who commented on my review and added to the discussion. These sorts of discussions definately help me when I'm trying to decide on a purchase and I appreciate those of you who took the time to offer advice, ask questions, and generally respond in positive ways. Thank you!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2008 11:04:34 PM PST
Moha says:
you are right about popping sound , its very annoying and actually I regret for getting them

Posted on Mar 16, 2008 7:11:33 AM PDT
I used to have those popping issues with my old altec lansing speakers, but I found that the issue was my sound card. I play music from my iPod now, and I have not experienced any of the popping yet, but my set is 1 day old...

Posted on May 16, 2008 7:41:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2008 7:42:11 AM PDT
Are you using a good sound card? The sound quality does depend on the quality of the sound card too!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2008 5:18:23 PM PDT
T. Jones says:
I use the built in sound card in my system. I should mention that I did not have issues with the popping sounds before upgrading to these speakers.

Posted on Dec 2, 2008 8:54:36 AM PST
AMDad says:
To the reviewer and to others who are experiencing this popping issue:
It sounds to me like you are overloading the INPUT side of your speakers. The simple remedy is to lower the output volume of your soundcard a little and turn up the speakers to compensate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2009 6:42:57 PM PST
dg27 says:
I agree with this assessment. Also, with any point-one setup, it may take a bit of trial and error to realize the full (or any) potential upgrade using the sub. Also, remember that subfrequencies should be felt and not so much actually "heard" (and they're omnidirectional). If you're hearing the sub loud and clear, you've got it set way too high. A properly placed and tuned sub will make the other speakers sound better.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2009 1:26:31 PM PST
Turd McNasty says:
I think you hit the nail on the head A. Deptula. I had the exact same popping noise problems with my Logitech Z3 2.1 speakers. I did a little bit of research and it turned out to be that the speakers were being overloaded. I went into the sound control panel and set wave volume to 60%. That instantly fixed the problem and didn't sacrifice much volume at all.

T Jones: If you try this, please report back and tell us if it worked or not.

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 7:52:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2009 7:53:48 PM PDT
Spike66 says:
If you have a newer computer....(one that doesn't require a speaker cable from the CD player to the sound card) simply go into either your sound card output mixer, or you can use windows volume control, and mute or turn the the volume slider for the CD player output all the way down. The newer CD players are all digital so the sound is carried through the IDE cable or SATA cable, hence the mixer output "wave" controls both mp3's, wav's, etc. as well as the CD player. Bingo, popping sound is gone. Crank it UP!!!!!!!!

Posted on Jul 26, 2009 12:11:44 AM PDT
S. Johnson says:
These are COMPUTER SPEAKERS, not meant to be hooked up across a room. Also, you get what you pay for, so stop whining. They are quality COMPUTER SPEAKERS that are great for setting up around a small desk area. Also I have yet to buy a speaker system (I used to do custom car audio) that I did not have to use longer speaker wires instead of the ones that came witht he unit.

Posted on Sep 8, 2009 4:25:10 AM PDT
I've experienced a similar "popping" and "scratching" sound on these speakers that seems to occur rather randomly. I've traced it to the volume control box. If you listen carefully when you increase or decrease the sound using the volume dial on the box, you can hear a faint needle-across-LP scratching noise as you increase/decrease volume. For some reason this scratching sometimes continues even after having adjusted volume. I find this can typically be remedied by fairly quickly turning the sound down and back up again using the dial.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›