5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing; Engrossing; Wonderful!, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Columbo: The Complete Series (DVD)
O-K, so the evidence would NEVER hold up in a real court; and real cops aren't as nice; intelligent; or as conscientious as Columbo - things that would normally turn me off of any other show....but Columbo is much more than any other show! Despite my opening criticisms, this is a show that one can become totally engrossed in. It keeps you engrossed from beginning to end- not with gimmicks, like action or gore, but with intrigue. Yes, I said intrigue- even though we know at the start who committed the crime; the intrigue enters when we try and fathom how Columbo will solve it! Truly a brilliant concept for a show, and so well executed in this series. In addition, there is always amusement/humor at Columbo's mannerisms; attire; car; dog, etc.

But wait- there's MORE! This series is a treasure trove of past acting greats whose names most generation-Xers such as myself may have heard of, but we have never really had the chance to see perform. These were actors and actresses who took the craft seriously and had some real talent- unlike most of the ilk that inhabits Hollywood today. Sheesh! I'll give you 18 actors of today for one Jack Cassidy!(Who is in three episodes!)

There's even more! Something about this show that I can't even put into words. It's the kind of show that you just want to sit and watch endlessly on a rainy night. It's pure entertainment, as it is so engrossing, and transports you to another world- as only the most well-made shows can. Not to mention the nostalgic aspect- as we get to see the cars and appliances and decor and fashion of the upper-middle-c lass-and-above world of the period (Which, in my case, brings back so many memories of how much better the world was then).

I am SO thankful to be able to have the entire series to watch whenever I want and without commercials! Some of these eps I haven't seen since they first aired (Yes, I was a fan of this show even when I was 10 !!)- If you're already a fan of this show, you wouldn't be reading these reviews; if you have never seen Columbo.....you are in for a rare treat. This show is totally unique. I don't like cop shows in general- but this is no mere cop show! And it is suitable for everyone and the entire family, as there is no real violence shown, nor profanity. Even in the few scenarios where the villains are involved in affairs, you never see anything that you'd have to censor. A true class-act. This one has truly stood the test of time: I enjoyed it when I was 10- and I enjoy it even more now that I'm 50 !

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 1:58:37 PM PST
Thanks for the great review. I just ordered my set. I can't wait to receive it and start watching. Shows today can't hold a candle to Columbo. No blood. No gore. No profanity. No steamy bedroom scenes. Every actor in Hollywood wanted to be on Columbo. It will be a joy to watch them all again when they were in their prime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 8:20:31 AM PST
Mr. Howell says:
Thanks for your comment, Jane! Having not seen Columbo in many years, until now, I was wondering if I'd still like- you know how it is sometimes: You think of a show that you liked years ago, and then watch it today, and wonder how you ever could have liked it. But I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I like Columbo more than ever! I know you'll have a great time watching the whole series- Enjoy!

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 5:29:04 AM PST
Peter Sutich says:
Great review and spot on. I am also 50 and I have loved this show since I was a child. I am not sure what it is, but it is as soothing as drinking a cup of coffee in the winter when you watch this show.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:42:58 PM PST
Mr. Howell says:
Thanks, Peter. That brings back a great memory- when I was a kid, I'd always have a cup of tea while watching Columbo...and I still do! Till this day, tea always makes me think of Columbo! Guess we both had very good taste as children! And now 40 years later, I know I wasn't the only kid who loved this show!

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 10:18:04 AM PDT
Paul Hughes says:
Absolutely echo your thoughts here. This is THE seminal/signature police procedural of the 1970s. Broke new ground in so many ways, major stars as "guest killer" (or victim!), and solid, creative storytelling.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 10:19:16 AM PDT
Paul Hughes says:
I was a kid when it started, started watching with my dad, caught up at some point to the earliest ones, 20s and 30s for the TV movie ... now the whole collection in one (slipcase) place. You weren't the only kid who loved the show!

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 7:16:31 AM PDT
Tek2000 says:
I'm not sure if you've talked me into buying this collection or a ginzu knife, but you did. Especially as it's gold box special today. Thanks! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2013 8:16:15 AM PDT
Mr. Howell says:
LOL, Tek2000! Hey, maybe next week they'll have the Popeil Pocket Fisherman or a Ronco Veg-O-matic chopper; or a K-Tell album ("original songs performed by the original recording artists!") on Gold-box special :D Enjoy!

Posted on Apr 19, 2013 8:50:09 AM PDT
JHP says:
I'll agree that the 'actors of today", for the most part, STINK, however, I have always found Jack Cassidy to be a prissy, over-acting hack.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2013 9:03:37 AM PDT
Paul Hughes says:
We have this discussion a bit at #ColumboTV, and I go into it in the books, for the episodes he's in ... I have sensed (from reading about Cassidy, from the Twitter discussions, from Dawidziak's book) that he (Cassidy) *was* purposeful about that, in both good and bad ways. E.g., Didn't take himself *quite* as seriously as Shatner, but yeah, a bit too much. So the prissy overacting - which is certainly there - may be what he thinks he should be doing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (537 customer reviews)

$149.98 $90.60