Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day

2.0 out of 5 stars Infomercial Fluff, May 12, 2005
This review is from: Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth (Hardcover)
I wanted to believe - in Harv Eker - I really did. I have read many books on wealth building and self-improvement, and I have been very successful by following the principles taught by authors such as Brian Tracy, Tony Robbins, Napolean Hill, and Robert Kiyosaki, among others. I have applied their principles and found that they work. But these other authors provide something that Mr. Eker does not - substance.

The first 187 pages of this book are filled with shallow generalities and soundbites such as: "Rich people are bigger than their problems. Poor people are smaller than their problems." I don't disagree, but there is nothing to back up these simple "wealth principles" and little in the way of direction for implementation.

Still, this book could be an adequate primer for those who have had no introduction to the genres of wealth-building and self-improvement -- except for the continual pleadings to visit the author's website and attend his seminars. Yes, I know that authors in many fields often write books as a means to promote themselves and their other products, but I have never seen a book, other than giveaway promotionals, that so blatantly pushed the author's other products while providing so little in return. Like an infomercial, this book continually tells you what you could experience if you would only attend his seminar. And all those website freebies promised throughout the book? You must give him your name and e-mail address before he'll let you in. And after you do that, you must provide a credit card and pay a $100 deposit for that free seminar.

I'm returning my book tomorrow and getting my money back. For the same amount of money you can get BOTH "Maximum Achievement" (Brian Tracy) AND "Think and Grow Rich" (Napolean Hill). Neither is an infomercial in disguise.

Oh, and what comes after those first 187 pages of fluff? A five-page invitation to visit the registration-required website and attend the credit card-required seminar, a four-page advertorial for the same seminar (still no mention of a credit card here), a two-page lecture to "share the wealth" by committing to tell at least one hundred people about the book (or buy the book for them!), and a four-page list of seminars, home learning programs, and instructions on how you can hire Harv to speak at your own event.

Come on, Harv - I don't fault you for building your own wealth through seminars, CDs and speaking engagements, but please don't charge us $20 for your catalog. Give us something we can use!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2010 5:57:22 PM PST
After reading the book, I must say that although T. Harv Eker does mention his seminar several times throughout the book, the lessons to be learned are there and you can definitely learn and apply them to your life without trouble. The seminar would be the next step to anyone serious who could not get the benefits they expected from the book, or that, at least, is my opinion. I loved the book and just bought a copy for a family member who actually seems to be stuck in some of the 'poor mind' habits that Eker mentions, and I'm very sure that this book will bring them to light for him. It also allowed me to reevaluate a lot of my thoughts and perspectives about money.

I also am a fan of Napoleon Hill and love his work discussed in "Think and Grow Rich," and would definitely recommend that book to many people, but would not think that this book is any less valuable for also promoting a seminar.

Just my thought, and I wish you, and everyone else, the best of luck and success. I think your review is great in that it allows people who decide to buy the book to expect the "Infomercial" element in there. Take care~

Posted on Apr 8, 2010 10:12:15 AM PDT
MrBios says:
Your review was very well written and provided key information. I was researching this guy after a friend signed up for a seminar. I have read Brian Tracy and Tony Robbins. This guy seems to be a lower quality imitation of Robbins. Thanks.

Posted on May 6, 2010 10:11:12 AM PDT
A. Wallace says:
I attended one of Harv Eker's "Free" seminars. I knew that it would probably be a promotional seminar to get people to sign up for his seminars, but I thought there would be enough information to encourage me to take a workshop. There were a few tips sprinkled in between promotions. A tip, then 30-60 minute promotion, another tip/exercise, and a promotion for another workshop. I talked to people who had taken some of his fee-paid workshops & he has promotions in those seminars as well. If I'm paying $2000+ for a seminar--I want real substance without commercials. It turned me off.

Posted on May 15, 2010 8:53:44 AM PDT
It's a good book. It's about psychology. It's not supposed to be about specifically telling you how to make money. When people say they want specifics on how to make money, they're implying that they're too dumb and lazy to research and find the specifics on their own. Finding specific money making information isn't that hard. The hardest and most important thing is to transform yourself psychologically into the kind of person who can be rich. You can have all the specific money making information in the world but it won't do you any good if you think like a poor person. I know a girl who is in the same business field as I am. She has all the same or possibly more technical knowledge than I do about this field, but I make MANY times more money than she does because I have the right attitudes and beliefs, whereas she has poor attitudes and beliefs. I studied advice from success gurus, and she doesn't believe in success gurus.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 11:30:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 11:31:21 AM PDT
G. Dyer says:
I have read the same books and taken courses by many of these same business leaders and coaches. They all market and promote their respective products. That's how they became successful themselves. Having met T. Harv Eker in smaller venues with entrepreneurs certainly affects my filters, but his books and training programs offer value and substance if you are open to learning yet another perspective. His programs are able to take you to the next level of achievement if you are already successful, and can be transformational for the "everyman" that has not previously examined the relationship to money and emotions that can block wealth and happiness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 8:23:28 AM PST

Posted on May 10, 2012 2:50:28 AM PDT
MarkO says:
You like Kiyosaki but you don't like Harv because he sounds like an infomercial.... wut?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2013 1:59:34 PM PDT
I have been listening to both T. Harv Eker and Tony Robbins every day for the past few weeks, and I don't agree that Harv is an imitation of Tony Robbins. I haven't been to Harv's events, but I think his book is excellent. Tony focuses more on neuroassociations and conditioning, while Harv focuses more on the mindset of abundance, gratitude, and responsibility. I think both are required and contribute to a mindset of success.

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 8:02:01 AM PDT
rafal buch says:
thanks! i came here to say the same thing but you said it best. book was so high rated on amazon i didn't even bother to read much reviews but 1/3 into it and the only substantial advice has been that you get rewarded for how much actual value you offer. the rest has been fluff about "thinking big".

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2015 2:13:50 PM PDT
InfoJunkie says:
Harv Eker has some great stuff. Unfortunately, the reviewer is right, this book is mostly promotional in nature. And because of that the content is okay, but not great. The other two books mentioned are classics with lots of real substance. This book by Harv falls short.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›