4.0 out of 5 stars Skill and patience required, October 5, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dark Souls - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Dark Souls is an extremely demanding action RPG that requires a lot of practice and patience to progress. It's brilliant in many ways, it looks great, the combat is fast and responsive, and it will have huge appeal for hard-core gamers. I salute those of you who have the moxie and determination to master this game, but I'm afraid I don't.

After spending nearly eight hours on the first boss in Undead Burg, after doing the research, after grinding for levels and gear, I still can't manage it. I've come close twice (after nearly 20 attempts), but this game is just beyond my skill level. I'm a little older and have never been great at twitch games, so the blame is mostly mine. Just be aware of what kind of gamer you are and what you want out of a game before you harrow your soul with this game. You may end up weeping on the floor trying to unclench your dead fist from the controller. Good luck!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2011 2:31:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011 2:54:52 PM PDT
I am glad their is one person mature enough to not bash the game and just admit its not for them. I recommend two things to the people who have troubles with this game. One is make sure you are learning from your mistakes when you die because very rarely is dying not your fault and do not just go in swinging like a mad man and hope to come out on top their is strategy involved when killing your opponents and once you have absorbed in the enemies attack patterns you are going to make quick work of your enemies everytime. Second is you could buy the strategy guide because it will give you a leg up on the competition and tell you how to fight each enemy and where to get all the good loot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 8:19:05 AM PDT
Thanks for the comment, Gregory. I did finally manage to get past the Taurus Demon by watching youtube videos and getting the strategy down. So I'm still plugging away at the game an enjoying it, though it's still very tough for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 9:10:59 AM PDT
You will be rewarded for your hard work and that's about the time when game hooks ya in. Keep up the work!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 4:02:01 PM PDT
David says:
I'm really glad to hear you kept pushing! It was about four hours after I beat the Taurus Demon that everything finally clicked for me and I stopped dying repeatedly. It still happens, of course, but much less frequently. I think you'll find the same thing. I've heard several people describe the beginning of the game as the hardest part, and I'd say that's true. You'll face tougher enemies, but you're a master of combat at that point, so things start to go a lot easier.

I am so addicted to this game right now. No game has made me feel this accomplished when I defeat a boss. Such a rush.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:05:57 AM PDT
techmannn says:
For me, watching others play the game on youtube is more fun than me playing and dying repeatedly. I see the appeal of the game for some. To put it another way, if all video games were like this game, there would be far fewer gamers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2013 10:43:09 AM PDT
O.C says:
Man tell me about it. I beat Havel the rock last night after about 20 deaths and I felt like a champ afterwords haha. Great game!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (488 customer reviews)

$39.99 $19.99