5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Improvement, September 16, 2008
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 8 GB (2nd Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have to hand it to Apple -- the iTouch is a great device. In addition to playing music, the Wi-Fi internet looks great, and the 3.5 inch screen delivers crystal-clear videos. I have an extensive music collection, but the 8GB model holds more than enough for me at any given time. I mostly use it while working out, and I was concerned that it would be harder to navigate than a Nano or that I might damage the touch screen; fortunately, I had no such issues.

I purchased a 1st Generation iPod Touch a few months ago, and I was hesitant about upgrading to the 2nd. There are no new earth-shattering changes or additions, but it is certainly an improved model. I had three problems with the 1st Gen that drove me crazy; thankfully, two of which have been addressed in the 2nd Gen:

1) An external volume button. Raising or lowering the volume on the 1st Gen required shifting the iTouch upright and then moving the bar across the screen. Doing that while running is almost impossible.

2) An external speaker. The 2nd Generation includes an admittedly quiet, but fully functional speaker. When you're playing a game or watching a Youtube video, it sounds just loud enough.

3) Delay in switching from landscape to portrait mode. This hasn't been addressed, and I haven't seen much discussion about it. It's less of a problem now that there is an external volume button, but it can still get annoying. Laying the device on its side while listening to music brings up the Cover Flow screen almost instantly. But for some reason, moving it back upright to get to the Now Playing screen sometimes takes as long as 10 seconds. It's not a big deal, but it can get a little annoying at times.

As far as the new features, the Genius feature works suprisingly well, as others have mentioned. I've tested it a couple of times while listening to a song, and it generated a playlist of similar artists and songs.
I haven't tested out the Nike + iPod component, but I'm glad it is included. The iTouch is fairly large, but sleek and light enough to not feel bulky in an arm band.

I've also noticed that the battery life has indeed been improved -- I haven't even charged my iTouch in a week. :) The exterior physical changes are subtle but noticeable, as it looks a bit slimmer and easier to handle.

All in all, I had to make the switch. I sold my 1st Gen for $200, and spent the extra $30 for the new model. While upgrading may or may not be worth it for everyone, I'd strongly recommend the new iTouch to first-timers. You won't be disappointed.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]