5.0 out of 5 stars Most thorough Vegan Cookbook ever!, October 21, 2007
This review is from: Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook (Hardcover)
First off, the food in this book is amazing. Vegan With a Vengeance was super great, but this is the friggin' BOMB!

Aside from the incredible food, the product description doesn't mention that the first part of the book is a great (and funny) read about HOW to cut and prepare different vegetables, how to cook different grains, etc...for someone like me, pretty invaluable stuff. Also cool if you're getting this for your "weird" vegan kid that is just learning to cook.
Also,, the icons are a big help (an icon tells you if you can make the meal under 45 min -or way less, another icon tells you if you can find everything at your regular Vons-type market, if there's soy, etc...)

The other review made a comment about the title, which I think is total genius. Then again, I get the HP Lovecraft/Evil Dead reference. What else could you call the "ultimate vegan cookbook" besides the "Veganomicon"??

Not only does this book have great recipes, but it will totally add ideas to your cooking arsenal. After making the "Black Bean Burgers", I am never buying packaged veggie burgers again!

p.s. do yourself a favor and make the "Leek and Bean Cassoulet with Biscuits".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2008 3:31:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2008 3:43:55 PM PDT
A. McGuire says:
Great review, I can tell there's a live person on the other end. Thanks Mike.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008 11:57:04 AM PDT
I concur! I'm buying the book.

Posted on Jan 14, 2009 7:07:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2009 7:10:08 AM PST
hazel says:
Thank you Mike, nice review. I'm purchasing the book though I'm not a vegan: I appreciate good recipes and good cookbooks that allow me variety in my diet.

I paged through my old copy of LEAN AND LUSCIOUS MEATLESS recently and found that their recipes are even more terrific than I remembered. My book is #3 in the Lean and Luscious series, 350 recipes, published in 1992 apparently by St. Martins, autors Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder.

Another enduring favorite in my collection is VEGETARIANA by Nava Atlas. My copy was published by Doubleday's Dial Press in 1984. I believe there has been a reprint, an update, or a new book by Atlas, who is a committed vegetarian (not vegan) and an artist. Interesting woman and a wonderful cook.

There is also NEW VEGETARIAN BASICS by Nettie Cronish ehich was published by Random House Canada in 1999. Mrs. Cronin's recipes are delightful and could not fail to please any audience, vegetarian or not. I always wonder how she could possibly top the last recipe I tried. She always does.

Posted on Mar 23, 2009 1:34:55 PM PDT
Zen Druid says:
I love the title too. Even if I didn't love "Vegan with a Vengeance" I'd buy this just for the title. Ia! Ia! Cthulhu F'thagn!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 12:21:36 AM PDT
shield says:
I highly agree with you

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 4:56:22 PM PST
a reader says:
That leek and white bean cassoulet is amazing! It was just a tad not herby enough for me, so I added some basil and some extra pepper and it was perfect.

Posted on Sep 3, 2012 7:57:16 PM PDT
DavisJes says:
Looked at the preview and am considering buy this book even though I am not a vegan. Looks like a lot of useful information and possibly nommy recipes. Are there any pictures in this book?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:55:39 AM PDT
Mike Desert says:
I don't have my copy handy, but there is a color photo section. It's definitely one of the few I'd urge non-vegans to own. Lots of good stuff. Some have become weekly staples around these parts...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 9:07:35 AM PDT
DavisJes says:
Too bad there are not more pictures but it definitely seems like something I will pick up. I do have a few Vegetarian/Vegan cookbooks (The Way To Cook Vegetarian

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:48:18 AM PST
WARNING. As at least one other review in the "top five" here explain, this cookbook has many instances of ingredient lists not matching the recipe. While I cook well enough to know how much baking soda to add to the muffin mix (Almond-Quinoa Muffins) when it calls for it in the recipe, the amount's not listed in the ingredient list, and others may not.... This cookbook is not for the very beginner in that regard.
Yet, I use it alot and enjoy it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (905 customer reviews)

$29.99 $16.94