2,885 of 2,953 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for the Price, April 11, 2010
This review is from: Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS8GSDHC10) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 1:10 Mins

Update 3/6/2012 I own about 20 Transcend cards now. They have all worked without an issue untill today. I dread calling any company for return support because it usually is such a tortured experience...(Ever tried calling SanDisk for product support?) Withing 20 seconds of dialing I was connected to their representative Marc Crawford. He was able to quickly and clearly guide me to the support I needed. It was such a shockingly great experience that I wanted to pass it along to potential purchasers.

UPDATE 9-10 I own 4 of these cards now. I have more of these than any other card I own because they are a very good value for capacity/price/and speed. My initial disappointment over the lack of super high speed is outweighed by the reality that this card is an exceptional value.

If you own a compact digital camera, or SD/HD video camera, this card will exceed the capabilities of all of them. For compact cameras the card isn't usually the slowest part of the data write process, it's the camera.
This card unloads very quickly with a 20MB/s read speed. You will need a SDHC card reader if you don't have one. A standard SD card reader will not read a HC (high capacity) card.

These cards make great gifts. I have given several of the 8 Gig cards as gifts and have received appreciation and great comments from all the recipients.

UPDATED REVIEW:
I purchased this card making the assumption that all class 10 cards had the same read and write speed. This was a poor assumption on my part. In order for a card to qualify for class 10 speed the card needs to be certified to have 10MB/s write and read speed. Some manufacturers classify their cards at a slower speed even though they qualify for a higher class. SanDisk make some cards that would qualify for class 10 and rates them as class 6.

The product photo on Amazon does not have the card's speed printed on it. The card that was shipped shows the front of the card printed with "20MB/s" which is the cards read speed. The cards write speed is 16MB/s.

I own a SanDisk Extreme III class 10 card that has (up to) 30MB/s read and write speed. My Nikon D-90 that can take advantage of the SanDisk cards speed. The difference is the SanDisk card can capture 100 photos at fine resolution in 24 seconds. The Transcend card captures 66 photos in the same time/resolution.

I reality very few people will ever have the need to drill off 100 photos in 24 seconds, but I can't stand to lose a good shot because the camera is slow while writing to the card and I can't fire the shutter. You can hear this happen at about 4.5 seconds in the video review. This does not happen with the SanDisk class 10 30MB/s card.

If you own an SLR that is capable of rapid fire, high-resolution photography you may want to consider the SanDisk Extreme III 30 MB/s card. It is expensive.

This card is reasonably priced for a class 10 card. Just know what you are getting, what your needs may be, and what else is available. I own other Transcend cards and they have always worked properly without any issues.

The video that I attached shows this card with the same 24 seconds that I gave the SanDisk Card.

To see the SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s video demo and review on Amazon go to:

Sandisk SDSDX3-008G-E31 8GB Extreme III SD Card 30MB/s (RETAIL PACKAGE)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 19 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 107 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2010 4:16:02 PM PDT
T. Hoffer says:
Hello and thank you for the awesome example.
I'm a little confused as to why you gave the card a three star rating, though. Is it just because of the speed? But if it is listed at 16MB/s and performs as such, wouldn't it make sense to give it a rating based on what it does and not what it does in comparison with a higher MB/s card that is twice the price? I feel as though you are comparing two cards that have the same class but not the same read or write speeds, thus unfairly criticizing one. A little research before you purchased the card may have helped. Especially when you see that the Sandisk and Panasonic are both around twice the price of the Transcend. One would think there would have to be a reason.

If the Transcend does what it says it does, then you may want to reconsider your three star rating.

Thank you again for pointing out the differences.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2010 8:41:56 AM PDT
Stephen says:
My initial dissatisfaction was because the product picture that was displayed omitted the speed information that was on the actual product. It made me feel like there was a deception being attempted.

I had been thinking about the 3 star rating. I think you are right. The card does perform within the stated requirements. It is also very affordable. I still feel that there is a better class 10 card available, so 4 stars it is.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2010 7:04:08 PM PDT
I am grateful for this review... I am in the process of deciding which card to update to for my new Canon Rebel t2i, to use for high speed action shots... and it bothered me that this card does not mention the speed anywhere on the page... thanks for that information!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2010 7:57:38 AM PDT
No Problem Starlisa.

An excellent resource for SD cards and camera read/write speeds

Posted on Jun 11, 2010 7:43:57 AM PDT
Jon A says:
Stephen,
Would you recommend this card for the Canon SX210is? In my other Canon PS camera I use a Transcend Class 6 card which has worked well. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2010 8:29:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2010 8:29:58 AM PDT
Stephen says:
I have both the SX210is and the Transcend 8GB card. They work fine together, but you don't need a class 10 Card for the SX210is to work properly. I have used a 1 GB class 2 SD card and it worked fine, even with HD video and continuous mode.

The Transcend class 10 card will give you faster unload speeds than a class 4 or 6 card and the price is very reasonable. I think it is a good choice.

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 5:17:27 PM PDT
Jimmy L. says:
Thanks for posting the video. It's very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2010 8:04:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2010 8:05:08 PM PDT
Hello Jimmy,

Thank your for your kind words. I'm glad you found it helpful.

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 2:43:06 PM PDT
J. Richmond says:
Nice review and comparison ! Very appreciated . :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2010 3:18:51 PM PDT
Hello Jon,

I wrote an response and for some reason it didn't post. I use this card all the time in my SX210is. It works fine. I tried all of my other cards and they worked equally as well incluiding an old class 2 card that I had. HD Video and continuous mode made no difference in the camera's capture rate. The only thing I would say is it will make a difference in the card's download speed. The Transcend card has performed well and I have not had any issues with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (5,866 customer reviews)
 (4,438)