2.0 out of 5 stars Update after Another 6 months: Still Not Recommended, January 5, 2011
This review is from: Jaybird Sportsband Stereo Bluetooth Headphone - Bulk Packaging - Runners Red (Wireless Phone Accessory)
2nd UPDATE: It's been another 6 months or so, and now the replacement died, too. No accident or misuse, it just plain stopped working. So I still don't recommend buying this product.

UPDATE: I'll leave my original review as it was below, but here's an update. After working fine for about 6 months, the headphones developed a problem: every time I adjust the fit, they turn themselves off. This makes them all but impossible to use, since one always has to adjust them a bit after putting them on to get a secure fit, and even the slightest movement -- and I really mean slightest -- of the sliding parts where the speakers are causes a shutdown. Very disappointing. On the plus side, Amazon replaced them without any fuss. I'll report back after another 6 months.

INITIAL REVIEW: After reading the reviews here and elsewhere, I was expecting a decent but cantankerous set of bluetooth headphones. What I got was even better than the wired headphones I had been using with my phone in nearly every way.

Pros:
-- They always work. I've never had a problem pairing them with my HTC Desire as long as I turn the headphones on before activating bluetooth on the phone. They've never faded in and out, gotten the music jumbled up, or paused momentarily on me. The controls have always worked just like they should. And I haven't had any conflicts with other apps on my phone (then again I don't use GPS very often).
-- Sound quality is way better than I expected. I had prepared myself for weak bass and weak volume for walking around busy city streets. Bass is perfectly fine and so is the volume. Yes, you have to remember that the volume in the headphones is affected by the volume settings on both the headphones themselves and the phone.
-- Nice fit, even on my big old head with a stretchy knit winter hat on it. Fits snugly in the gym, too. No slipping either on the treadmill or with the free weights.

Cons:
-- This is a nitpick, but the color isn't what I thought it was. Based on the picture on Amazon, I thought I was going to get a product that was silvery on the outside and red on the inside. In fact, it is pure white on the outside. Not really what I wanted, but no biggie.
-- In the gym, the part of your head that the band is up against will sweat a lot because it's rubbery/plastic and doesn't "breathe" at all. Then again, that rubbery/plasticky-ness is what makes it sweatproof. A good thing!
-- There is wind noise on windy days. On the other hand, these headphones keep my ears warmer than my hat alone ever did, which is worth a lot on windy winter days.
-- The proprietary charging connector is a bummer. Since they felt it necessary to do that, it would have been nice if they'd included two of them -- one for home, one for office.

For me, this product is worth the $89. I am so happy not to have to fuss with wires anymore during my commute and workouts, and the quality level is high. Love 'em!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]