4.0 out of 5 stars Still a Good Textbook, Though I Liked Some Things in the 9th Edition Better, July 3, 2013
This review is from: The Language of Medicine, 10th Edition (Paperback)
I had the ninth edition when I took my medical coding course, and I loved it! I was nervous about ordering the 10th edition because sometimes the sequels are not as good, but I decided to order it because I assumed it would have the most current information...and unlike the 9th edition, it also had abbreviations that were no longer used (and the substitutes that should be used).

The 10th edition still contains many things I had loved about its predecessor. Explanations are very straight-forward and simple to understand (moreso than in the last edition), even for those new to anatomy and medical terminology. The exercises give you plenty of practice so that you absorb the information. It also has the answers after each section so you can check your work.

There were some things I didn't like as well in the 10th edition in comparison to the 9th edition:
1. The book is not as sturdy.
2. I really miss the CD, which was one of the best things about the 9th edition. If you order a NEW book of the 10th edition, you can register for free online content. I haven't been able to access the Resources yet because I have to allow pop-ups...and I can't remember how to enable them (and I'm annoyed that I have to really). The CD in the 9th edition had quizzes, audio that pronounced the words, and even games that made learning enjoyable.
3. The diagrams, I don't think, are quite as good. They are more simplified, and yet I find them a little more confusing because of it.

One thing that I have mixed feelings about is that there are more photographs. These are interesting and give you a better concept about the diseases you will be learning about...but many of them are rather nauseating. Of course, if you are a nurse or someone who is going to be dealing with gross stuff--then you might as well get used to it. However, as I was planning on sticking to just the paper work aspect of medical care, I didn't feel the need to harden my stomach. Also, you will be seeing very graphic representations of some of the more private areas of the human body, so if you are very prudish...well, get over it. Not only will you be seeing them, you will be seeing them more than likely after they have "gone bad".

The access key is a sticker at the beginning of the book. If you buy this book used, more than likely this will be useless to you. If you want online access, you either have to buy a new book or buy the access key separately online. I haven't been that impressed by the online content so far, though I haven't looked at the Resources yet. A piece of advice: when peeling the sticker for the access code--peel only the black square, not the gray square that surrounds it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2013 1:53:06 PM PDT
Tangela says:
Were the assisgnments the same as the 9th edition

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2013 11:03:51 AM PDT
Um...I'm afraid I don't have my old 9th edition (stupid me, I sold it) to compare. All I can say is that the assignments are similar in the types of practice exercises. However, if you are thinking of using a 9th edition for a course that is using the 10th edition...I really cannot say if you can. I'm sorry. One thing I can tell you, though, is that the 10th edition does have a few new things in it that the ninth edition doesn't...and if your course does anything with those, then you might have a problem. For instance, the 10th edition has personal stories from people in the field, which the 9th edition didn't have.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (130 customer reviews)

$89.95 $82.90