2.0 out of 5 stars Cannot disable certain alarm types, June 2, 2011
This review is from: Midland WR120EZ NOAA Weather Alert All Hazard Public Alert Certified Radio with SAME, Trilingual Display and Alarm Clock - Box Packaging (Electronics)
This model is quite similar to the older WR-100, with a few exceptions. The new model has a shorter antenna and it automatically starts the setup when it's first plugged in. All of these are nice minor improvements, but Midland also made one change that's a HUGE step backwards: You cannot disable certain alarm types. ALL alerts will sound and there is no way to disable, for instance, winter weather advisories. I REALLY don't want the damn thing going off at 2 in the morning to alert me to something I don't really need to know about until I get up.

The only alerts I care about are for tornadoes or severe thunderstorms. Flood warnings don't affect me, I'm in a 500+ year flood plain and 150 feet above the nearest river. Warnings about snow or high winds don't really affect me until I head out, and I can check the internet for that. And I live far enough out in the country that Amber alerts are totally useless. I want to disable all of these, which I could with the WR-100, but this new model lacks that capability.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2011 10:06:55 AM PDT
How about just unplugging it and put it away during the winter months? That's what I do.

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 9:41:55 AM PDT
T Man says:
I agree with "Squeek". I just bought 2 of these and am returning them. I thought "selectable" alerts meant that I could edit out flood and high-wind alerts but it means selecting voice, text, or tone alerts. This is the same as my real old unit which is constantly waking me for useless (to me) alerts. If I turn the unit off, I will forget to turn back on. Turning off for the winter doesn't help me in spring or summer as the other commenter suggests. I care ONLY about tornado and severe-thunderstorm alerts (amber alerts are OK too). Otherwise, units function just fine. They just disturb my sleep way too often.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 12:22:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 12:24:07 PM PDT
perfumfree says:
I don't have one of these yet but am going to buy one today since North TX is having all these tornadoes and more coming this weekend. But, honestly, you can't remember to unplug after tornado season, and remember to plug in again in spring???? It's like remembering to change your batteries in your smoke alarms once a year. Write a note on your calendar to plug in your noaa weather radio. Set a reminder on your computer or cell phone calendar to plug it in. Put a big note on your bathroom mirror with the date you want to turn it on so you can see it when your brush your teeth in the AM or PM. How hard is that??? I'm sorry it just doesn't seem that hard to do. Next time, have your house built with all the bells and whistles so it will do it automatically for you. Like in Eureka, the house with the computer that does it all for you. Next time okay? But for now, plug it in when needed. :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 11:13:34 AM PDT
The problem is tornadoes can occur any time of year. There were 76 confirmed tornadoes in January of this year, and 40 people were killed in the March 2-3 outbreak. Turning off the weather radio is asking for trouble.

And there are other types of warnings I do want to receive, like severe thunderstorm warnings, nuclear accidents or national emergencies. The previous model of this radio let me receive all these while ignoring warnings I don't care about.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 3:43:06 AM PDT
perfumfree says:
Hey Troy, Sure I understand what you are saying. My comment was to someone who was receiving other warnings during winter time. Not during Tornado season. Obviously you would not want to unplug it of turn it off during this very tornadic season and if the other alerts and warnings are of interest to you then don't turn it off. But, unless you live out in the uncivilized area without a tv or radio, you would have some idea that bad weather was coming your way. I live in the North TX area which is very heavily populated. In fact we just had that very bad tornadoes in this area over the past couple months. I was driving in the hail storm trying to get home when it hit a couple of weeks ago. Not fun! That is why I purchased the wr120 to hopefully give me some peace of mind when i am home alone.

I just set up my WR120 and called Midland to ask questions and mentioned to them the review I read about having the alarm go off at all hours as some people had mentioned. The very helpful person told me to just set the Alarm to Off and even though that is only for the Alarm Clock, then you will only receive the alarms for the SAME #'s you set up. If you only set up for the SAME #'s for your area, which in my case are only 2, hopefully you or whoever was having that problem won't be woken up in the middle of the night anymore. If you set up a bunch of SAME #'s, you will get all the alerts for ALL those areas. But, they are very helpful at midland. The agent made sure that even though I set my locations to ANY, that I still set up the SAME # for my area. Apparently, a little piece of info they neglected to mention in their manual or on their online video. If you just set location to ANY but don't set up the SAME# for your area, then you will not receive any notifications because it won't know how to find you. Good thing I called otherwise I would not have known this piece of info.

Oh, also the agent was helpful in letting me know that if I have good batteries in the unit and want to move the unit to another location (like the bathroom during storm day because I normally keep the unit in the kitchen otherwise), I can do so without losing all my settings. Also, as long as you have the unit plugged into an plug that has power, you can change the batteries without losing all your settings. Oh, and don't keep the unit in the bathroom all the time because the humidity in the bathroom is not good for the unit. Fortunately, I do get reception in my bathroom so I can move it there on storm day. Which in my case will be this Sunday 4/15/12 as the weatherman is predicting. Hopefully the major storm that is supposed to be heading our way will disapate and I won't have to move everyone into the bathroom. Keep my fingers crossed and do a lot of praying! :-)

Hope that helps clarify my statement and helps anyone who was confused at all. Be Safe!

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 10:47:48 PM PDT
J. Robinson says:
Idk if the firmware is different now or something but my Midland wr120 has the option to edit events and it lets you turn off alerts for different thing like frost warning or flash flood. I just noticed mine is a wr-120ez instead of wr-120b. That might be the difference. Anyway, you just push menu, scroll to "set event" and select, then scroll to "edit events" and select, then scroll through the events and choose the ones you want.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 11:00:22 AM PDT
Bowman75 says:
I also own the WR-120EZ and can confirm it has the ability to disable any alerts you desire and also has a much easier S.A.M.E. code entry system where instead of looking up codes online and entering them digit by digit, you can just select your state/county and voila...it's set.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 5:45:53 AM PST
Victor Wren says:
We live one county away from a big city. We are constantly getting Amber Alerts in the middle of the night for some grandmother who wandered off sixty miles away. The storms in this area can travel 40-50 MPH, and we've had more damage from non-tornadic winds than from tornados. When hail that can smash through roofs is coming, you want a warning. Unplugging it after "tornado season" (there IS no such thing, really-tornadoes can occur in any month of the year) is like unplugging your fire alarms when you don't think there's likely to be a fire. Because of the speed at which storms travel out here, we have a one-county buffer zone around us, which unfortunately includes a metropolitan area, so yes, we still get woken up by Amber Alerts at all hours of the night. Limiting the SAME numbers is not sufficient. I just need to get rid of that one nuisance alarm which has no purpose this far from the city.

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 3:33:30 PM PST
To all of the commenters saying "just unplug during tornado season":

I'm buying a weather radio today, November 17th, because tornados ripped through areas of the upper Midwest today, killing a few and injuring dozens, which is too many.

So... when exactly is "tornado season"? This review has made me rethink this model, as I too don't need alerts for many things. Perhaps other areas have more predictable tornado seasons, but 3/4 of the year with other alerts is a concern for me.

Thanks to the original reviewer!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2014 2:44:56 PM PDT
BecsFL says:
Hope you stay safe. Thanks for the info on this unit. I am upgrading to this model.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›