5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of Weber's works so far, May 31, 2012
This review is from: Bodensee (Kindle Edition)
Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 10/10

PROS:
- Readers who have read even one of Weber's works should be familiar with his penchant for scathing criticism of various social institutions. The institution that receives the most heat in Bodensee is religion. What I love about the story, though, is that Weber manages to criticize religious zealotry while acknowledging that the institution of religion as a whole isn't necessarily (or even usually) harmful.
- The story is confusing, especially at the beginning. You'll read one scene that seems to make perfect sense, and then the next will seem incongruous or non-chronological (but with no indication as to whether it's taking place in the past, or the present, or the future, or no time at all). Normally this sort of thing bothers me, but because I'm familiar with this author, I knew that there had to be a point to the confusion. Rest assured, there IS a point. And once it had been made (at the end, naturally), I went back through and read the entire story a second time, just so I could admire Weber's ability to make everything appear to be a jumbled mess, when really it's kind of...not.
- The sex scenes (which are largely ménage à trois, just to warn unsuspecting readers) are numerous and detailed, but not once did I roll my eyes because the men's words or actions seemed sensationalized or out of character. It probably helps that the gay love scenes in this book were written by a gay man rather than a straight woman; Weber's characters seem more real in the bedroom than the majority of characters I come across in gay romantic fiction.
- The story addresses an important issue in the GLBT community (naming it further would be a bit of a spoiler), and the tone of the story fits its subject matter: it is serious and sarcastic by turns, with a few playful romps between the sheets thrown in here and there to lighten the mood a bit. Yet in spite of the rather heavy feeling of the story overall, it has a delightfully cheerful ending.

CON:
- There are a few instances when conversations (or monologues) seem to carry on a bit too long--when characters become suddenly very chatty. This is a minor complaint, though, and a common feature of Weber's writing (one that I am more than willing to put up with, given how much I love his writing style overall).

Overall comments: I've been a fan of this author since I read his first book, Shayno, a couple of years ago, and each new story I've read has taken the place of the one before it as my favorite Weber book. Bodensee is no exception: the story is complex and socially meaningful, the settings and characters are brought to life through descriptions rich in detail, and Weber's command of the English language is as fine as any of his contemporaries writing modern-day fiction.

[Add comment]