4.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting one, December 28, 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Electronics)
A buddy bought an earlier WD media player and kept telling me how it would play just about any video to his TV. I have used other ways to get video from my Mac to my TV but the media player sounded like it might be the easiest and most effective way. I decided I would get one.

After reading a bunch of reviews from other customers, I chose the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player. It does not come with a hard drive, but I also ordered a portable USB/FireWire hard drive on Black Friday from Apple and it doesn't need an AC adapter, so I thought it would be a good way to load up a lot of content to have whenever I want it.

I ended up buying an HDMI cable at Best Buy for $22 on sale since this unit didn't come with one. So you might want to add an HDMI cable to the price if you buy one of these.

The media player is very small, about the size of couple of slices of bread stacked together. It was very easy to get plugged in and set up. Once I got it up on my TV screen, I was able to put in my WiFi password and it was instantly connected to the internet. I did a couple of firmware updates right off the bat. The interface is pretty easy to figure out. A "Home" button on the remote takes you to the main spot where you can choose whether you want to access a video, music, photos, go to Netflix, Blockbuster, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, huluPLUS, facebook, and more. The remote is also programmable so you can put in your own shortcuts. I did program in a couple, but I keep forgetting what I programmed in since I haven't used this device often enough to have it memorized. There is even an AccuraWeather.com choice where you can put in your city and you always have the temperature and time available. I noticed you can also add other web URLs although I haven't tried that yet.

Supposedly, you can stream video from the computer without even having to have a USB drive attached to this device, but I have yet to figure out how to do that. From reading the forums, it seems this player isn't very supportive of Macs and especially the latest operating system, Lion when it comes to sharing over a network. That is all right with me because I don't mind hooking up a USB hard drive full of videos, photos and maybe some music. When I want to delete or update stuff on the USB drive, I just remove the USB hard drive from the media player and plug it into my Mac.

The nice thing about this media player is the USB flash drives and hard drives can be formatted for Mac "Extended Journaled" and almost all common file formats work fine. There is no 4GB limitation (like with FAT32 format), so if you have some high definition video to play, you can just play it. I found that some of the video that would not play using my BluRay player will play with this media player.

The fact that this device is so small, there is no problem fitting it into the entertainment system. It can sit on top of another box with room to spare in our house.

There is an 800 number you can call for help if you have problems. I considered calling to see if they can get this to stream with my Mac, but it hasn't been a problem for me with the hard drive I use.

I have had to unplug this media player 3 or 4 times in the month I have had it because it occasionally freezes up. I have always had the USB hard drive attached when that happened, so it may be something that has to do with that or maybe it would happen with a USB flash drive as well. I have had similar things happen with my Blu-ray player while playing various video formats. I am guessing with all the devices available, there are bound to be some incompatibilities with this and that. Everyone has different devices hooked up in their home theater system and it would be hard to test everything. At least, with the ease of the firmware updates, we have a chance of some problems getting fixed.

Now that I have been using this Media Player for a while, I would like to reiterate that it does need to be unplugged every once in a while--actually more frequently than I would like. I will be watching a video and suddenly, the media player wants me to shut it down. I have to stop the video, turn off the media player, unplug it and plug it back in and let it reset itself. Sometimes, I have had to do this twice before I can finish watching the video. It will then maybe work fine for a week and then I have to unplug it and plug it back in again. Maybe I should just unplug it and plug it in every time I intend to use it--first. I know my husband would not be able to handle this problem. He doesn't like it when electronics do not work right and he has no patience. I will also add that I mostly watch videos that are on a portable USB drive attached to the media player.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]