5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the Edirol R-09 for about half the price!, November 12, 2007
This review is from: Zoom H2 Handy Portable Stereo Recorder (Electronics)
A year ago, I wrote a lengthy comparison of the Edirol R-09 WAVE/MP3 Recorder, Black and the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder + 2GB Accessory Kit (pre-accessory kit). I wanted a high quality, easy to use recorder, so even though the H4 had all of the features of the Edirol and sold for considerably less, I kept the Edirol because it was so much easier to use.

Zoom has responded with the H2, a scaled down version of the H4 with all of the features of the R-09 and all of the controls right where you need them. The H2 even has additional features over the R-09, but they don't get in the way. For example, there's a choice of a 90 degree recording pattern, a 120 degree recording pattern, and even a surround sound option. Samsontech has some nice video demonstrations on its website.

One big complaint I've had with the Edirol is the cost of its add-on stand. Unlike the Edirol, the H2 comes with a simple stand. In addition, the H2 has a threaded hole so that it can be mounted on a standard digital camera tripod! On a separate note, it's much easier to replace batteries with the H2 than the Edirol.

Recently, I got together with friends and recorded the same live acoustic music on both the Edirol R-09 and the Zoom H2. I used Adobe Audition only to normalize both tracks (that is, equalize their loudness). The first time we played them back, I thought I detected a VERY slight preference for the Edirol, with the overall opinion of the group split between the two units. The second time we played them back, my preference was for the H2, with overall opinion continuing to be split. We all agreed that the differences were so small as to be negligible if there were any at all. The sound files can be found at [...] for those who'd like to hear for themselves. We were sitting in a circle with the recorders located next to each other on a mantle above and outside the group.

I do prefer the Edirol's control buttons to the H2's membrane and I'm not about to sell the Edirol, perhaps because I am more familiar with the Edirol and don't want to give it up just yet. Also, the Edirol R-09 is the darling of the moment. However, if I owned neither, I couldn't justify the huge bump in price of the Edirol over the H2 and would opt for the H2. When I went to a music party last weekend and knew I'd need only one recorder, I grabbed the H2.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2008 7:29:02 AM PST
I have been researching these and pulling my hair out trying to decide which to buy for my musical teenage daughter. Your review was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write it!! I think she'll be very happy Christmas morning and I'm much happier with the price of the zoom!

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 7:42:58 AM PDT
James says:
Could anyone comment on how well this would work recording a presentation in a small (40-person) room, or even a large lecture hall (200-person)? Most of the commentary is in regards to instrument recording - would other products be more suitable for speech recording? Thank you.

Posted on Oct 15, 2010 3:12:30 AM PDT
veracity says:
What gear would you put together for a friend who wanted to record 2- and 3 person panel discussions (indoor quiet) or outside on quiet evenings .... with the H2 ... inexpensively and in no way a pro venture.

with the provision that person_1 could wear a wired mic, but person_2 and optional person_3 would want bluetooth mics (as the other wireless option while seeming better would break the bank on a not-for-profit application... tedious transcription later)

* unless there is a ~$50/mic wireless alternative to bluetooth (or bluetooth bridging). :gulp: .. $85?

thanks bunches

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 5:23:42 AM PDT
JerryWithaJ says:
I'm afraid you're asking the wrong guy if you're expecting a professional's advice. Here's what I'd do, but it's strictly juryrigging. I'd get an omnidirecdtional boundary mic and put it on a table so that everyone was about equidistant, or I'd even use the H2 in 2 channel mode, positioned so that no one was directly off to the side. I'd make my recording and then post process according to http://www.snn-rdr.ca/snn/nr_reporterstoolbox/cooledit.html (If Amazon does not allow links and deletes it, go to Google and search on [cooledit site:snn-rdr.ca].) Adobe Audition will do the same thing. I'm not sure about Audacity. It has a compressor function, but I'm not sure if it's as flexible as Cooledit/Audition. Try a test before attempting the real thing.

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 6:09:10 AM PDT
niels says:
Is there a good compressor built in, to avoid clipping in unpredictable environments?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (666 customer reviews)

$350.00