3.0 out of 5 stars Okay perhaps - Updated 8/4/11, June 11, 2011
This review is from: (6 Pack) AA / AAA Bright Orange 4 Cell Battery Case with Charge Reminder Markings (Electronics)
I decided to switch a number of my applications from normal AA & AAA alkaline "disposable" batteries to the newer Eneloop LSD (Low Self Discharge) rechargeable batteries. When traveling with my camera, for instance, it would be good to have an easy way of telling which cells are fully charged and which are depleted and need charging. I saw these cases and thought "wow, a ready-made solution", so I ordered a 5 pack. Shipping was fast and I got them in a few days. I like the fact that the price is a little high and includes shipping instead of what most vendors do: sell for a cheaper price and then charge an outrageous shipping fee - often more than the cases themselves.

When I received them, I loaded my charged batteries in them. They worked great. The clasps, which didn't seem that good, actually worked well (I cut off the round "tongue" with the hole for hanging in a retail display). They hold 4 AA batteries or 4 AAA batteries but not in combination, i.e., they will not hold 2 AA and 2AAA batteries. I thought that was a clever design so I ordered another set.

On the way to put the loaded cases on my battery shelf, I dropped one my garage floor, the case sprung open and the batteries spilled out. I found that the piece of the locking latch with the rectangular hole had broken off. I now only have 4 working cases and this confirmed my earlier suspicion that these are made from the wrong plastic material. It's too brittle and I expect more failures (without dropping them). These should be made from something like polyethylene (I think) like most other small free battery cases that come with many battery sets and/or cameras.

Then I read another review on these cases and someone commented that these cases are thicker than they should be because there are other cases that are only as thick as the AA batteries and hold the AAA batteries (without rattling around) crosswise between the AA dividers. My freebie AA case that came with my camera won't do that but I got to thinking that's true. So now I'll have 9 of these orange cases with the possibility of them all breaking because of the plastic they're made from and will probably look for the thinner cases...

And on further reflection, why is it so cool to have a case that can hold either AA or AAA batteries (but not in combination)? I have a known quantity of AA batteries and a known quantity of AAA batteries - why not just have as many (dedicated) cases for each? I guess if I was going on the cheap, I could have fewer cases and load them with the ones I need at the time...

Okay, in summary, 3 stars for being a brittle plastic and being thicker than necessary.

Updated 8/4/11 - To the seller's credit, within a few days of posting this review, I received 3 new battery cases at no charge along with a nice note from the seller - apparently because of the one I dropped and broke. Quick and courteous action on their part! Chalk up one for great customer service; they apparently read the reviews and take them seriously. Unfortunately upon opening the envelope they were sent in, the side of one of of the cases was broken off and lying loose in the envelope. Like I said earlier, wrong (brittle) plastic.

[Add comment]