3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially Frightening, June 12, 2010
This review is from: Anastasia (DVD)
Anastasia / B000CNE092

"Anastasia" is an animated historical fiction of the "alternate reality" variety. Here, the impetus behind the brutal deposition of the Tsar and his family have less to do with social unrest and more to do with a magical curse levied by a disgruntled Rasputin, here voiced superbly by a frenetic Christopher Lloyd. Young, innocent Anastasia - a mere child at the time of this alternate reality overthrow - barely manages to escape the curse, losing her memory in the process, and grows up in a quick cutaway in an orphanage, dreaming of a better life. Fast forward several years and, in an astounding coincidence, the young Ana falls in with a duo of fraudsters hoping to pass the young woman off as the "real thing" in exchange for a reward from her mourning grandmother.

Along the way, audiences will be treated to the usual romantic subplot, a montage of musical songs that will stick in the brain as Ear Bugs but never attain the same level of classic status as, say, Disney musical songs of the same decade, and almost enough whimsy to offset the particularly dark and potentially frightening bits featuring Rasputin as an undead abomination with rotting bits constantly falling off. It is due to these frightening scenes, however, that this movie almost certainly won't enthrall very young children, and the movie lacks the staying power for older audiences. Older viewers will likely be tired by the predictable romantic subplot, and while the music is definitely catchy, the ethereal sadness underlying many of the songs may prevent their being sung again and again by audiences.

~ Ana Mardoll

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2010 10:13:10 AM PDT
Avani Desai says:
I would have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that younger children will be scared off by the movie. My just-turned-4 yr old niece fell in love with the movie last weekend. Perhaps it's because kids are a bit more mature, more desensitized these days, but she finds the parts where Rasputin's body parts fall off to be hilarious. She thinks that the bugs he lives with are disgusting as well. However, because Rasputin chose this way of life, it's acceptable that he is in this situation. I also think that there is enough staying power for older adults. It is obviously not the little mermaid or beauty and the beast, but I do believe that this is an underrated disney movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010 2:17:41 PM PDT
Well, as I said, I think it is "potentially" frightening. I'm sure there's at least one or two children out there that will think otherwise. I believe parents should use their best judgment in deciding what will or won't scare their children - the parents know their children best of all, after all. I just like to let parents know what to expect so that they can make that decision themselves.

Incidentally, although this movie *is* animated, it is not, I believe, Disney property.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2010 5:45:36 PM PDT
I have to say that although i agree that it may be potentially frightening, my sister younger sister by ten years was scared slightly, even though when i was young me and my brother and sister loved it. I was surprised when i found out that after all those years this movie had been my favorite that it wasn't disney made.
i loved this movie much better than some of the 'Classics' of Disney.
Perhaps i was just a bit more mature than some of the other kids my age, but i loved that the characters were Not what disney was mass producing. A single glance and the prince proclaims undying love for the princess he doesn't even know their names. It still remains one of my favorites even after so many years, which is why I respectfully disagree that the movie lacks staying power with older viewers.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2010 6:01:01 AM PDT
Thank you for your nice comment, Clarissa.

I personally don't think that "Slap Slap Kiss" is *much* more original than "Shallow Love Interest", but I can see how it would be more appealing to a child, especially one who hasn't seen the same setup a dozen times before. And nostalgia can cover a multitude of sins, as I well know.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie - and thanks for letting me know. :)

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 2:37:46 PM PDT
C. Rice says:
I have to say that I agree with the 'potentially frightening' part. Sure, for some kids this wouldn't even phase them, but when my mom and I went to see it in the theaters when it first came out we almost had to leave the theater during the scene where Rasputin sells his soul. It wasn't necessarily the scene itself, but the dark and sinister implications of selling his soul that bothered us both. However, we did stay and the rest of the movie is great, you just have to get past that particular scene...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (883 customer reviews)

$19.98 $11.41