1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible trackpad and wifi., March 14, 2014
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad U430 Touch Ultrabook 14-Inch Touch-Screen Laptop, (Intel Core i7-4500U processor, 4GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive) (Personal Computers)
I bought this item and soon found out that it could not even connect to my home router because of the security setting. DO NOT BUY THIS LAPTOP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE WIFI PROBLEMS. Whatever wireless card they used for these laptops is VERY picky about router security settings etc. On top of that it has a terrible track pad that felt like it was from the 90's after using a mac track pad. Returned two days later. 1/5

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2014 11:59:54 PM PDT
FancyJesse says:
Um.. on mine right now and since day 1 it's been working perfectly.

The trackpad is fine. And my wifi connections have been fine.

Please don't review a laptop just because of user error.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 5:20:43 PM PDT
y2g says:
I also did not find any problem to set up WIFI. My one is also working fine.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 6:03:00 PM PDT
Ama says:
possibly you have other issue, this could not have on ANY laptop.
Either you do not know how to do, or the wireless card is defect.

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 6:59:26 PM PDT
Eric says:
Without any actual proof of troubleshooting most would assume user error. And also, what exactly is bad about the trackpad? You don't go into any detail about anything you have an issue with.

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 9:15:18 PM PDT
cw says:
rubbish review. I have had the Lenovo for a couple of months. Works fine...for the price I received fair value. if you are going to post reviews about a product, please be more objective. Wifi issues are common across many laptops and silly comments about mouse pad are not helpful. I look forward to actual objective reviews instead of reviews about individual wifi connection issues!

Posted on Mar 21, 2014 3:55:26 PM PDT
P. Christian says:
I'll have to disagree with reviewer. This is a GREAT computer, easily connected to my home wifi, mobile hot spot and the wifi of several family and friends. I cannot comment on the trackpad because I never use them on laptops- always plug in a mouse. But bottom line, this computer is solid, fast and better than my Asus and HP (both less than a year old) . BUY THIS COMPUTER- ALSO YOU CAN FIND IT BUNDLED WITH THE LENOVO MIIX2 TABLET WHICH IS ALSO A NICE LITTLE WINDOWS 8.1 TAB

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 9:47:29 AM PDT
T. Forms says:
As much flack as Tyler is getting... I have to side with him.

I received this laptop. The trackpad was so bad it was literally not usable. The WiFi worked at first but then kept cutting out while watching NetFlix.

However, I have spent the whole weekend asking trusted sources and doing research on laptops. This truly is the best buy for this price range. I decided to bite the bullet and just try another one figuring I got a bad one out of the lot. And this time I will call Lenovo before returning if possible, but like I said the last one's touchpad was so awful that I simply could not use it.

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 1:59:00 PM PDT
N. Andre says:
I find this price such unrealistically low! it is even cheaper than the refurbished i7 laptops in BestBuy ?!?!?!
I really want to buy it, but I need an explanation for such price~(and such less reviews for such a big deal)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 4:09:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2014 4:44:18 PM PDT
Ken says:
I too had no problems connecting to my wireless network. Bought this for my 15 year old daughter. We have gone through 8 to 10 laptops over the years...Dell, Sony, IBM, Lenovo, ASUS, new and refurbished. There are always differences in track pad functionality, feel, etc. The U430 touch seems fine. I am a software developer and have a lot of experience with many PCs and PC users. I got my daughter involved in the selection process of this ultrabook and told her that she needs to take reviews "with a grain of salt". In the case of Tyler's review, I believe that he ran into a problem and is frustrated. I am guessing that the problem has nothing to do with the computer but possibly his wireless network. I feel that the one star rating should be ignored.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 7:16:56 AM PDT
malibu doc says:
I also believe that he must be having a network problem. I know that our fiber provider consistently has problems. I have a brand new AC router that is fast and reliable. (This router has significantly extended the range and quality.) But the fiber provider's modem and network are the issue when we have issues streaming to Roku!

Ken, I ordered this laptop after I read all the reviews, including PCmag.com but mostly based on yours! Fingers crossed, I receive it tomorrow and will update my comments. I was looking for a lightweight aluminum clad (assuming it's a bit more hardy) laptop for my middle schooler that he can use at least until he graduates from high school in 6 years! I had an old IBM Thinkpad T40 from 2003 with built-in 802.11b and bluetooth which just stopped connecting to the Wifi network. That is an amazing laptop that I used for 9 years until I gave it to the kids. I bought a Samsung 2nd generation series 9 in March of 2012 for my personal use. Absolutely love my Samsung but wish I had purchased the 256GB SSD instead of the 128GB. It's almost full already. I do a lot of image and video presentations so I am going to have to buy a small external HD and dump the imaging.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›