An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Marketing Info, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Kindle Fire - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd) (Electronics)
Hello, I just sent in my first Kindle Fire for a refund so I could get the faster new version. The new version improved processing over the first versionn but the main screen/home now shows contantly "Customers Also Bought" with a listing of their purchases. I paid the additional $15 to eliminate the subscriptions/coupons but you can not get rid of the list of items other people have bought.
The first generation was a nice reading/application/entertainment tablet, but now the emphasis is on sale, sale, sale, sale and that is for me unacceptable. I'm told that all of the new tablets also have this focus. I think Amazon did not produce a customer oriented product but one that would support their sales. I'm going to wait to see what other vendors do with the smaller tablet.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 12, 2012 9:01:35 AM PDT
Thank you for your feedback. We wanted to let you know that in the coming weeks, a free software update will be coming to Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD. Among other features, we're adding a setting to let customers control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device home page.

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team

Edited 11/6/12 - We delivered this software update at the end of October as an automatic download when you are connected to Wi-Fi. This update includes a lot of great new features, including the ability to control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device homepage. You can find this option under Application settings. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you enjoy this new update.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 10:07:38 AM PDT
Caponsacchi says:
Where and how could you get a refund for the original Kindle Fire? Or did you just buy it recently, like in late August? I'm trying to figure out if the $160 Gen 2 Fire finally has an external volume control?

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 10:12:23 AM PDT
Caponsacchi says:
Most but not all Kindles have 2 highly useful features that reviewers are simply overlooking in their comments. My 2 big questions about ANY Kindle--1. Does it have an external volume control (this was a major problem with the original Fire)? 2. Does it have a "read-back" feature (for a while, all of the Kindles EXCEPT for the least expensive one had this feature. It meant that you could "listen" to almost any book, even if a narrator had not recorded it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:03:14 AM PDT
Me says:
I just got the new kindle fire and it plays text to speech and immersion reading if you get the audible books.

There is no external volume control, but of you are reading a book, and you have the audible, you just tap the screen and the volume slider is right there. Very easy. If you are using text to speech, you tap the screen, then slide down from the top and the volume icon is there. I was concerned about the lack of buttons, too, but it hasn't been an issue to me, yet.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 6:38:36 AM PDT
Emily says:
"Customers Also Bought" is actually just a feature on Amazon.com. It shows up on most product pages no matter how you are viewing them, be it through a computer, Kindle, or another device.

For example its on "Among Others" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0765331721) just above the Editorial Reviews and on this Garmin GPS system (http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-4-3-Inch-Bluetooth-Portable-Navigator/dp/B005DIBH10) about half way down the page.

I hope this helps you.

An Amazon.com official commented on this review   (What's this?)
Posted on Oct 12, 2012 9:01:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 10:06:37 AM PST

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 8:05:02 PM PDT
Cougar23 says:
that's great news; was going to either return or give my kindle away but I will now hold on and wait for the update.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 6:10:31 PM PDT
A. Clark says:
I just got an HD. Under "Setting" then "Applications" the option was there to get rid of the recommendations.

Posted on Jun 25, 2013 7:58:11 AM PDT
Thank you for your review. I've been torn between the Kindle fire or the I-pad mini. My kids say get the I-pad and because of your review I think I will. I usually read 2 books a week on my reg. Kindle and was a little worried about my ebooks transferring to the ipad. I can't stand ads and this feature alone will be the reason why I will not be buying the fire. Thanks again for the heads up.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›