3,199 of 3,277 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Nano Gains Touch, Loses Video Playing & Recording, September 6, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 16 GB Blue (6th Generation) OLD MODEL (Electronics)
The iPod Nano update on September 1, 2010 is arguably the most dramatic since the iPod Nano moniker was introduced by Apple five years ago.

Several colors are being offered in both 8 GB & 16 GB capacities.

More than an update, this is a new product that simply retains the iPod Nano name. It gains a significant feature, but loses several others.

The big deal is the touch interface on the newest iPod Nano. iPod Nano users will now be "touching," their music as iPod Touch and iPhone users have before them. The click wheel is gone. To find your music, you select a category from the Nano's menu such as "Playlists," or "Artists," and select from there. Less convenient or more convenient than a click wheel? Honestly, about equal. The screen is indeed small, but not unusable.

FM Radio has been retained as well as the Fitness aspects with the ability to use Nike + or simply the built in pedometer. However, the form factor will be a major benefit for those working out with the Nano. The previous Nano required an armband to keep it on you while working out, jogging, or the like. Not always comfortable, an additional expense, etc. However, with this new small, square form factor that need is gone. Now, we can simply "clip," the Nano onto us, with the built in clip, and run to our listening content. A bigger deal than you might think.

The downside? Features have been removed from Nano. The screen is much smaller than the previous generation. Therefore, playback of video content from iTunes is gone. Nano no longer plays video, which was a feature added three years ago. Secondly, last year, Nano added a small video camera to record low quality video, which could be played back on the Nano's screen or synced with iTunes and viewed on your computer. That feature is gone too. The device is too small now for a camera or to watch video. This new generation iPod Nano has many exciting new features, but buyers must be aware that it is no longer a video player. It is something new. Those wishing to play video on an iPod must choose an iPod Touch.

My opinion on this change? Honestly, did I ever watch video on the iPod Nano's screen? No. For me, while they kept trying to make the screen larger, it was simply too small to enjoy more than a once a year video. Likewise, the camera was simply not high enough quality to keep yourself entertained by using on a regular basis. It became a feature unused by many.

The iPod Nano has changed and gone back to being an exceptional music player. There is nothing here you do not need to enjoy music. However, the display and touch interface brings the 21st century "touch," that Apple has made so popular to a more affordable device. The touch function will be limited here to simply selecting songs or bringing up the clock, but nevertheless, touch has made its way to the Nano.

I'm most thankful that the Nano has indeed retained the DOCK CONNECTOR. The dock connector is key to use with iPod accessories such as docks, speaker docks, and built in car iPod connectors. The nano is so diminutive that if you plug it into the factory iPod kit of an automobile, the cable's dock connector will look nearly bigger than the Nano itself. Not a negative, just amusing. Nevertheless, the dock connector is there, and you will be able to use the device in such applications, and that was a significant decision by Apple. Users want and need the dock connector. It is there on this iPod Nano, but still missing from the Shuffle due to its even more diminutive size.

This 16 GB version is the largest size Apple offers in the Nano. It offers no additional functionality over the 8GB, but features twice the storage. Choose the one best for you. 16 GB is great if you have a large music collection. We should all remember though that with Nano no longer doing Video or Storing Pictures, the storage is exclusively for music. This makes 8 GB and 16 GB more appropriate size offerings as music takes up much less storage than video.

Overall, Apple has removed video (both playback and recording) from this iPod Nano. However, it's an equalling good music player. Navigation of music is now completed via touch, which works effectively despite the small screen. It's really hard to believe so much can fit into such a small device and I believe everyone will be a bit shocked when they open up the Nano the first time and see it's size yet primary function as an effective music player retained. The newest Nano brings a nearly Shuffle like size, but yet retains the functionality (touch, clip, dock connector) that serious music lovers and those who use the Nano while working out, demand.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2010 6:45:16 AM PDT
Did you purchase this iPod nano via Amazon?

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 12:27:58 PM PDT
Woody says:
Ummm... and how, pray tell, did you manage to get a 6th generation nano to review when those of us who ordered literally the minute they were announced haven't even seen ours ship yet? Or did you get it directly from Apple?

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 3:31:36 PM PDT
jersey girl says:
Thanks for such an informative review! How well does the FM radio feature work?

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 8:50:05 AM PDT
Book Worm says:
Sounds perfect for me. I like the size of my shuffle but never liked that it did not have a screen. And video means nothing to me. So I think I will be making a purchase.

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 9:14:04 AM PDT
MadBryan says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2010 5:21:52 AM PDT
Edward says:
This review looks like someone took the release product data and rewrote it. There is nothing in this review that reads like the person actually owns the product or has used it.

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 2:11:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2010 6:04:22 PM PDT
This guy (stephen 'books911') has three different 6th generation Nano reviews. Isn't that kind of like voting three times? All three reviews are exactly the same too. He just cut-copy-pasted them.

What gives?

Posted on Oct 11, 2010 3:38:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2010 5:18:19 PM PDT
I've owned my new Nano for about a month now, and here's my two cents worth:

The new Nano replaced one I bought five years ago, which I use only at the gym. No longer needing an armband is a big benefit for me, because I kept wearing them out and having to buy replacements. (Perspiration and regular washing really takes a toll on those things!) Being able to simply clip the Nano to my clothing is quite convenient, and I appreciate that the clip is all metal, like the case, so it's almost impossible to break.

I would say the touch-screen is somewhat better than using the old click-wheel. For example, it's easier to scroll through music to find a particular tune. FYI, I have large hands and fingers, but have little trouble using the touch interface.

My biggest complaint is that the screen turns itself off after a very brief period, and this "feature" is not adjustable. So whenever I want to skip a song, I have to first push the ON button to turn the screen back on. Only then can I touch the screen to advance to the next tune. Perhaps this is intended to increase battery life, but it irritates me the more I use it. Dear Mr. Jobs, if you're listening, please do something about this "feature".

Having separate volume control buttons is definitely an improvement, especially since it's not necessary to turn the screen back on to use them. If there were a way to use these buttons to also skip songs, my primary complaint would be resolved.

In conclusion, I would say the new iPod Nano is a very nice upgrade from the Shuffle. IMO, it's the best music-only player on the market. It's also by far the most expensive. But if a tiny music-only player is what you need, and you can justify the cost, I definitely recommend it. Perhaps you can rationalize paying so much by telling yourself that 2/3 of your money will be staying here in the U.S., albeit mostly for wealthy Apple executives and stockholders!

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 5:47:42 PM PDT
Dayspring says:
Thank you so much for giving a long but concise dialogue of the pros and cons of this newest nano. You managed to answer all the questions I had about it so I am now able to go ahead with the purchase with a positive feeling, knowing the changes they made sound like a shoe in for what I want to use it for. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 16, 2010 4:31:55 PM PDT
Steven Mason says:
I'm trying to decide between this new 6th gen nano and the older 5th gen. The 5th gen is less expensive AND you can watch video AND you can take pictures and movies. It's true that I rarely watch videos on a nano, but the thing is, the new nano doesn't give you that option (and did I mention it's more expensive?). Regarding controls, for me it's a wash between the old wheel and a touch screen. The new nano is smaller, but it's not like the old nano is big. And did I mention that the old nano is less expensive?

I'll wait a few days to see if anyone can tell me why I should pay more for the new nano. Right now I'm inclined to get the older one because I'll pay less and get more. If this new nano was maybe fifty dollars cheaper than the old nano, I might consider getting it instead.

Anybody want to contribute their two cents?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Steve H "books911"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: U.S.