5.0 out of 5 stars A+++, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Sony MDRNC60 Over-the-Head Headphone (Electronics)
I have to say I was a little skeptical when purchasing these headphones due to some of the reviews about about echoes and humming. I have had these headphones for about a week now and have to say they are great. I have experienced no problems whatsoever even if I pull the set away from my ear like some people were describing. I notice that most of the reviews that talked about this problem were almost three years old. I guess they fixed that issue. Id say I have used these for about 8-10 hours so far and this is my review:

Lets start with the design. Before I bought these I was considering these and the on the ear Bose QC which are considerably more expensive. However, I am glad I went with these. Because this design covers your entire ear there are two benefits. First off, the fact that the pressure of the headphone is not on your ear but instead on your head makes a big difference when you are on a long flight or listening to these for more than an hour. With the on the ear set that Bose makes all the pressure from the headset is pushing against your ears which after a while becomes very noticeable(My best friend has the Bose QC which I used on a flight to Vegas). The second benefit of the over the ear set design is that because it covers you entire ear, less noise is let through to your ear period, whether the set is on or off. Lets face it, you don't see the guys on the tarmac at the airport with the "on ear" ear muffs, they cover the whole ear. This brings me to my next point. Noise Cancelling.

I see a lot of reviews that say "These headphone barely block out my TV and my crying sister." Im no expert but as far as I know noise cancelling is meant to block out constant sound. Airplane engines, air conditioners, construction equipment etc... Nothing you buy short of a recording studio is going to block out all the noise. People talking, televisions, birds chirping are all going to get through but like I said earlier the over the ear design is much better at overall sound reduction than the on the ear design. If you want, take a plastic cup and place the bottom of the cup against your ear and listen. Then flip the cup over and put the top of the cup over your ear and see the difference. I know its primitive but it will prove my point. In my experience with this set so far the noise cancelling has been perfect. Even when I use it in places that aren't noisy at all like my bedroom, you realize how much noise your just used to when you take the headset off and hear your air conditioner and your ceiling fan.

Another reason I picked the Sony set is that it uses one AAA battery. No recharging or having to buy extra batteries for trips(Extra Bose battery is $80). Just throw a couple AAA in the carrying case(it has a little pouch for small things)and your good. No extra chargers or batteries to have to bring a long and loose. Iv'e had these for a week and I'm still on the original battery 8-10 hours so far.

I'm no audiophile but these sound great. Because there is no background noise everything sounds very crisp especially when the music stops or gets quiet for a second. You definitely hear things you miss in your car or on my radio at work. Again, im no expert in sound so I will let someone else hook these up to a flux capacitating spectro analyzer(made that up) and they can write about it.

All in all this is a good headset with great noise cancelling. Only bad thing I can say is that I should have waited a few more days as Sony just released there newest noise cancelling headset the day after I bought these so I expect the price on these will drop off over the next few weeks since there is a newer model. Better for you because for the money I paid I am very happy so when the price drops you will be even more so!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]