5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Performing Full-Size Wireless Mouse, July 9, 2010
This review is from: Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse (Personal Computers)
I have been seeking a fully-featured wireless mouse for the past two weeks and have finally found my optimum choice in the Logitech Wireless Mouse M510. The attributes I sought out included the following:

1) Full-size and ergonomic shape. I have fairly large hands, so most notebook mice cannot provide a sufficiently comfortable experience for long periods of usage time.

2) High battery endurance. I prefer a wireless mouse that minimizes battery replacement to improve overall convenience and reduce my dead battery collection.

3) Laser technology. A setting of at least 1200 dpi is necessary to track subtle movements, which are particularly important for graphical applications (i.e. solid modeling and photo editing software). Laser technology also allows for usage on most surfaces.

4) Inconspicuous wireless transmitter. I find great appeal in a low profile wireless transmitter, as it saves the user from having to remove the device from a notebook during travel.

While many other competing products from Logitech offer appealing features such as "hyper scrolling" and any-surface tracking a la "Darkfield", they each carry their own weaknesses as well. For example, I considered various notebook-class mice, including the Anywhere MX and the Marathon M705, yet as a person with fairly large hands, I determined that they were simply not large enough to use comfortably.

Notebook Mice:

With respect to the Anywhere MX, while its touted "Darkfield" technology and "hyper scrolling" are admittedly persuasive, does not appear to yield the battery endurance that I desire. The form factor is certainly far too small to permit the ergonomics my hands require.

In consideration of the Marathon M705, while it certainly has the battery endurance I desire, as well as "hyper scrolling", it still remains too small, and the price tag currently does not justify its purchase. The Anywhere MX (at the time of research) could be had for nearly the same price after rebate, and if I were to choose a less-than-comfortable mouse, I would be more inclined to compromise some battery life for features.

Full-Sized Mice:

Moving on to full-sized mice, I spent some time researching the Performance MX. The Performance MX touts a host of features, including a low-profile wireless transmitter, but I am not fully convinced that they justify the price. Furthermore, this device utilizes a cradle for charging, and I would prefer high endurance, which typically entails the exclusive use of AA or AAA batteries.

While researching this category, I came across the M510, which although it carries less features than the aforementioned products, represents the best compromise to the attributes I desire in a mouse. Notably, this mouse has a great form factor, and while not as large as the Performance MX, fits comfortably and ergonomically even for my larger hands. Admittedly, I would prefer that the mouse were a bit longer to fill out my palm, but in the manner I handle the mouse, comes very close to an ideal fit. Logitech claims battery endurance up to 2 years, which far exceeds my expectations, and reduces my reliance on spare batteries. The device uses laser technology, which actually does not perform optimally on my aluminum desk, but tracks perfectly on my microfiber mouse pad with high accuracy. I honestly did not expect the mouse to function well on my desk, so this is more of an observation than a concern. The device also includes the low-profile wireless transmitter, which overall adds to the convenience of the product, and lends itself to a more travel-worthy full-sized mouse. As an additional note, the forward and back buttons work perfectly, and are quite easy to access. Extra buttons that are actually usable certainly add greater value to this product.

Conclusion:

While this mouse certainly has less features than some of the competition, it can be had for a reasonable price, which from Amazon lies in the range of $30 to $40. The form factor is excellent, the battery life is sufficient, the accuracy is great, and the wireless transmitter is convenient. For those seeking a full-sized and ergonomic mouse that still affords some portability, the Logitech M510 is a great option, and should represent a serious candidate for any mouse-purchasing decisions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2011 2:59:28 PM PST
M. Nelson says:
Thank you for such a comprehensive review. I have a small mouse that works fine and is just a bit too small for even my hands although I am getting used to it now.

This mouse sounds like a great tool to replace it with.

Posted on May 12, 2011 1:37:25 PM PDT
Logitech Wireless Mouse M510 My wife bought a Logitech keyboard which included this wireless mouse (M510). I was sceptical about a wireless mouse because I had one some years ago and the battery had to be replaced at least once a week. Well, I guess technology improves, because this mouse rocks. She uses the computer at least 10 hours a day, and the battery lasts well over a month. Very good mouse.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 7:03:56 PM PDT
weera says:
Good job! Your review is very useful for me.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 1:27:40 PM PDT
J. Lee says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 1:30:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2011 1:30:31 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 2:53:06 AM PST
TomBrooklyn says:
You think battery life of over a month is good? I think that's terrible for 10 hour / day use. I get several months at 10 hours/ day from an old Dell (Logitech) Mouse. The batteries in this mouse are supposed to last two years.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 2:54:14 AM PST
TomBrooklyn says:
How's the battery life working out?

Does this work in a desktop with the receiver plugged in the back?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 6:38:46 PM PST
I have had this mouse since May of this year and have no sign yet of the batteries needing replaced anytime soon. If long battery life is one of your standards then this mouse is still for you.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 8:16:10 AM PST
I bought this mouse in December 2010... would you all beleive me if I told you I have not changed the batteries sinced... I am puzzled too...

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 9:58:30 AM PST
I purchased this mouse in November of 2011 and have just replaced the batteries. I typically use this mouse at least 10 hours each day so I am more than satisfied with the battery life. My ONLY complaint with this mouse is that it does not track well over light color surfaces.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (3,565 customer reviews)
 (2,335)