Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic Produces Another Quality Ventilation Fan, October 4, 2010
This review is from: Panasonic FV-11VQ5 WhisperCeiling 110 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan, White (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Panasonic FV-11VQ5 is the newest release from Panasonic in the WhisperCeiling series of ventilation fans. Panasonic discontinued the .8 Sone, 110 CFM, FV-11VQ3 for this next-generation, enhanced version. It is essentially the same model with some minor variations, the most noticeable being a reduction in operational sound level from .8 Sone to .3 Sone. The power consumption between the two units has also been reduced from 30.7W to 21.1W (at .1 static pressure), which drops the Amperage from .26 to .18, making this unit more efficient.

The FV-11VQ5 is relatively large, but a fantastic performer for the money. The rough-in cut required to mount the unit is 10-1/2" x 10-1/2". The outside grill is 13" x 13". A cardboard template is supplied to assist in drawing the physical layout of the rough-in cut on the ceiling. This greatly enhanced the ease of installation. Opening the unit, there's little that needs to be done other than remove the tape from the internal assembly. The mounting rails and screws are included.

Aside from sizing and attaching the ventilation ductwork, all that's required is to mount the unit and wire it up. Wiring is as simple as attaching a white, black, and green wire to an existing AC line and ground source.

My wife and I installed this unit together in the attic within an hour. We had complications with the ductwork that vents out the roof not lining up, which required some custom cuts to complete a final mounting. This took about 30 minutes, but aside from this, it is a very simple ventilation fan to install.

Following the installation, I turned the breaker back on and had my wife do the honors with the wall switch. She pushed it and after a second looked at me with that look that says, "Uh oh... Something's wrong!" After a few seconds we heard the sound of air rushing, but no motor! Our old fan was a 4.5 Sone unit, which is very loud! This unit almost sounds like it's not even running. It's so quiet, what you hear most is air rushing through the vents.

To check that things were venting well, I took half a dozen match sticks and lit them about four feet below the unit and waited for the flame to work down the wood, then blew them out. Smoke spindled its way up and out of the vents. Next, I took a lighter and lit it just below the vent and moved it around the grill. I could see the flame being pulled in the direction of the vent opening. It indeed was working quite well.

Overall, we're very happy with this unit and would recommend it to anyone installing it in a residential home or small area. Those interested should realize this is a very quiet unit. Some people like a fan to block sounds that emanate from the bathroom so others can't hear any quiet noises. For those who would like this from a ventilation fan, this is not the fan for you. I'd suggest looking for a fan with a rating of approximately 2 Sones. Anything less than 1 Sone is really very quiet.

Panasonic makes very good quality fans with many offerings in their "Whisper" ventilation line. The FV-11VQ5 is a quality unit within the WhisperCeiling series. Prospective consumers should also consider Panasonic's WhisperFit, WhisperGreen, WhisperLite, WhisperValue, and WhisperWarm line of ventilation fans before making a final determination which is right for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2011 3:05:47 PM PST
It sounds to me like this guy is a panasonic sales person but I enjoyed this comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 3:54:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2011 4:00:22 PM PST
Heheheh... Thank you for the compliment... I think! :-) No, I'm not a salesperson for anything. I'm a technical writer by trade for a defense contracting company. I'm not shilling this product for myself or anyone. Just reporting my experience with it.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 5:34:35 PM PDT
B and C Wood says:
A number of reviewers have commented on the poorly designed back draft damper in this unit. What is your opinion?
Thanks for your comprehensive review.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 5:46:02 PM PDT
Hello Carolyn,

I personally have never experienced any back draft issues with this unit. We just had a new roof installed and I redid the venting and had the roofers install a new vent exclusive to the bathroom where this ventilation unit is installed. Now the unit has its own vent and it operates the same as when the vent was being shared. We've had some wind storms and I've never noticed any back draft issues. I'm not exactly sure what may be causing back draft problems with other owners. Perhaps they can reply here and share their experience.

-Paul

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 7:22:43 PM PDT
Paul,

One of the posts I am referring to said, "The backdraft preventer has huge gaps that have allowed all sorts of insects in, including a family of wasps. At least the grill openings are not as large as the gaps around the flapper, keeping some of the insects out of the house. I have found that Panasonic is overpriced and mediocre quality. When I contacted their customer service with my issues, they never responded." Most reviewers gave this unit a four to five star rating. Your thoughts? Thanks.

-Barry (Our Amazon acct. is in Carolyn's name.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 7:56:01 PM PDT
Hi Barry,

I honestly haven't had any problems with this. It's possible he's correct in circumstances where insects are prevalent. I'm trying to recall the innards of the unit and don't remember there being any "huge gaps". The flapper is inside the area where the vent is attached. If the vent is securely in place, I don't see how anything could get inside the flapper. It's not air tight; I don't think any ventilation unit is. The problem could also be at the vent at the top of the house. If there's a nest in that vent opening, the insects can get into the ventilation pipe and travel down into the flapper.

With that said, I think the individual's issue may be related to an insect problem at his home than the unit having too many exposed holes. We've found the quality to be excellent and in terms of price, I suppose it depends where he purchased it and how much he paid. We paid a bit more for this unit than others, but considering the sone rating and the quantity of airflow, any fan with such features is a bit more expensive. If you can contact the individual, perhaps he can expand on his comments.

I hope this helps.

-Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 8:21:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2012 1:42:37 PM PDT
A to Z says:
I installed two of these in our upstairs remodel myself. One of the carpenters was "helping" me put a flex 90 degree adjustable on the vent. I normally check everything and that night I felt a draft coming from the fan grill. Upon checking I found one of the screws the carpenter had used to mount the 90 degree adjustable flex vent tube had blocked the backdraft flapper from completely closing. Since the drywall wasn't up yet it was an easy fix. But something to definitely watch for in the installation.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 10:03:36 PM PDT
Paul,

buy some incense sticks -- they work much better and they're safer than match sticks and lighters :)

Thanks for the review!

-l.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 7:34:40 PM PDT
The backdraft preventer is not designed to keep out insects - only drafts. This is true of most any exhaust fan. For insect exclusion, put a piece of window screen over the end of the vent pipe where it comes out of your roof, and clamp it tightly with a hose clamp or double-wrapped length of baling wire.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›