Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleanest Picker of the "1352 pickers in Nashville"... NO DOUBT!, October 22, 2011
This review is from: V (Audio CD)
I have followed the music of Marty Stuart since he was 14 years old. When the Fabulous Superlatives were formed, I began to tune into Kenny Vahghan's work. He is definitely not the "how many notes you can twang in a nano-second" kind of guy... although he does a respectable job at that too. He is, without a doubt, the source of the cleanest guitar sound just about anywhere; highlighted by his work with the Superlatives. This solo album really shows who he is via his GREAT choice of songs & lyrics; especially "Country Music Got a Hold on Me" and "Okolona Tennessee". Great backup by the Superlatives & the steel work of Chris Scruggs, too. Best musical $$ you can ever spend... Kenny's debut CD is a real gem! Footnote: Don't miss seeing these guys in person if you EVER get the chance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2011 2:36:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2011 2:41:20 PM PDT
V. A. Peek says:
I DID see them in person on September 9th at the Smoky Mountain Performing Arts Center in Franklin, NC. I just knew that I was going to see Marty Stuart come 'ell or high water. BOY, am I ever so glad I got to. It was like I had to drag my husband there, however, once there and the show began, from the beginning, my hubby was tapping his feet and silently clapping his hands. And then, as the show wore on, he was exuberantly clapping and even singing loudly (to the chagrin of the people around us, I'm sure. But it just couldn't be helped. Except when they got serious with the tribute to Johnny Cash, and the outstanding gospel songs they sang so perfectly..
I had never heard of Kenny Vaughan at that point. From the first note on stage I was mesmerized by Kenny. He was so hilarious. I sat there and laughed my fool head off at him and his 'BOBBLE HEADED' genius.
You had to see him in person. Especially on "Hot Like That". (He pronounced it 'HOT LACK DAT". oR Close to that. I laughed throughout the show at him. It was such a fun night. I wanted so badly to get in that (must've been) three mile long line to get CDs and autographs and just to see Kenny up close. MR. MAN wouldn't hear of standing in that long line even if they were GIVING away CDs. Next time he can go home without me: I'M STANDING IN THAT LONG LINE.
Even though I am commenting on Kenny's CD, I'm going to say that those other 2 guys in the band (the drummer and the base player, who also played other instruments, but I can't remember their names right now because I have early dementia and can't remember short term very well) They were very good also. The close harmony from the whole band, be it 2 or 3 or all 4, was just perfect.
I didn't have access to a computer while up there in NC, because it's mountainous, like 3,000 ft alt, which isn't much really since there are mountains all around up to 6,000+ ft. But we couldn't get access to internet without buying a land line, and our cell phones wouldn't get out at times also, but we still didn't want to hook up a land line for the 6 months we were up there. BADD, because next spring when we go up there I WILL have a computer. I've already informed MR. MAN here.
Now I'm going back to searching Amazon for some DVDs with them in it.
Marty mentioned that they have a show on Saturday nights on RFDTV, but I can't ever remember to tune it in since my husband had access to the only TV in the cabin we own up there and he HAS to watch the Braves on game times. Thankfully, baseball is over with now and maybe I can just remember to tune in to RFDTV this coming Saturday. I'll watch it all day if I have to just to make sure I don't miss it. I HAVE MY OWN TV IN OUR BEDROOM. He watches in the living room. He has the bigger TV in there. It's OK. The 32 inch one is good enough for me.
It's so good to be back home where I have my own computer. And now I'm searching for all of their CDs and hopefully DVDs that I don't already have.
I previewed this album before I wrote this and I have to say that those songs he did at the show we saw were so much more fun to see in person. I think they might even have sounded better, but the CD is better than nothing.

I forgot to mention that home is Summerville, SC.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›