5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, December 14, 2009
This review is from: G-Technology G-DRIVE 1TB External Hard Drive w/ eSATA, USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 Interfaces 0G00199 (Personal Computers)
With my 300GB drive too small I went shopping for a new 1 TB drive (the first time in 3 years). Over the years, I've bought several Seagate/Lacie externals and Seagate/IBM (now Hitachi) internal drives. Some drives are certainly faster and quieter than others; some are downright annoying but you just can't tell from the specs alone which I why I rely on reviews.

To my dismay, I discovered through my research that every brand/model of drive has received poor reviews. There wasn't a clear choice to make. It would seem that computer reliability has increased to the level that the hard drive is the weak link in the system now. Since my existing external was a Seagate 300GB firewire, I went with a 1TB FreeAgent from Seagate. Boy was that a huge mistake. Users are very unhappy with that product and so was I: it appears that Seagate doesn't build their firewire drives for mac compatibility anymore. If you need firewire, avoid Seagate.

Having a reliable backup drive is more important than ever so I crossed my fingers and went with G-Tech based on its feature set and my previous positive experience with Hitachi drive mechanisms (they own G-Tech).

Enclosure Pros:

- eSATA/FW800/FW400/USB2
- every kind of cable included (a rarity now and a great value for the money)
- large on/off button
- sturdy metal case
- no annoying fan
- the drive mounts to sled with a heat-sink that protrudes from bottom of case for improved cooling
- hundreds of ventilation holes at front and sides of case
- combo power/activity light
- attractive case

Mechanism Pros:

- very quiet drive
- fast 69MB/s read, 58 MB/s write (over FW800 w/ MacBook Pro 2007) - haven't tested eSATA yet
- HFS+ formatted for instant use on Macs

Cons:

- none to date

Some people have complained that the enclosure is larger than the typical upright design (5" x 9 1/4" x 1 3/4"). There are easily larger units to be found out there so I guess the complaint comes down to the fact that the drive is designed to sit horizontally on the table. I've seen the Seagate FreeAgent drives with their flimsy stands forcing you to lay the drive down on the desktop. The WD case seems to have the best design for vertical orientation but I don't think that's important as other features.

I'm very happy with the enclosure (G-Tech: please don't change a thing!). My advice to those that take issue with the size, is to get a G-Tech mini or other tiny USB2 based 2.5" drive. All 3.5" based externals tend to take up desk space one way or another.

Summary:

After buying this unit, I may never buy a drive in a plastic enclosure again. This is a solidly made unit compared to the flimsy offerings on the store shelves today.

This product is a winner: fast, quiet, reliable and cleverly designed. An excellent value.

PS. Why companies like WD even conceive of stuffing two already hot drives into the same raid enclosure with no fan is beyond me. G-Tech has a much better design for a raid enclosure.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2010 7:16:35 AM PST
Jack Limpet says:
I can't help but agree with Mel D: trying to find a perfect external hard drive is impossible because they all seem to have something wrong with them. Contrary to the suggestion in this review that the hard drives seem to be the weak link in such devices, other reviewers of the G-Drive point up problems with mounting the device and the hard drive controller. So, Mel, if you are re-reading your reviews, please can you give us all an update of your review one year on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2011 6:51:40 PM PST
j0bi1 says:
I'm also curious about the long term reliability of this unit. There are a LOT of negative reviews about this particular drive as well. My Lacie 500G will no longer mount via the 800 firewire. The 400 still works but I'd like to be able to use the 800. I'm replacing that drive for a larger drive anyway and have been looking into the G-drive, based on their alleged "great" reputation. Sadly, I'm not at all convinced this is a reliable device.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2011 6:37:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2011 12:31:38 AM PDT
Paul Fogarty says:
I'm running 3 G-Tech drives, 2x 1TB's and a brand new 2TB. I'm a Windows user so had to reformat them, connecting them via USB2 as my current MoBo doesn't support hot-swapable eSATA; I'll be rebuilding next year and will fix that particular problem. Mind you, hopefully next years MoBo's will be incorporating Thunderbolt! :)

One of the 1TB drives is comfortably beyond its warranty period, the second is about 2yrs old, and as I said, the 2TB is brand new. I've read the 1 Star reviews on here and have to say I'm genuinely shocked; these drives are absolutely rock solid, I've not had a single problem with them! :)

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:15:21 AM PDT
Thanks for the review. I fell for the Seagate price point and have been paying for it everyday. The seagate drive has brought Snowleopard to its knees! Just saving a Final Cut file can take minutes instead of 10 - 15 seconds! I never should have installed the seagate mac software. I'd have to format the drive and reinstall my OS to get it all off! Easier to get another drive altogether. G-Tech looks good but also a bit pricey.. I'm also looking at OWC. Ahh - I could be working on my project but here I am shopping instead. Google "seagate freezes mac" for thousands of complaints. Ugh.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2014 10:51:21 PM PDT
R. Schneblin says:
I've been having MAJOR freeze problems with my iMac. This must have been the cause. My GoFlex just died... good riddance!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›