45 of 45 people found the following review helpful
Some things to do before buying,
This review is from: Sunforce 44447 900W Whisper Wind Turbine (Misc.)(This is a great turbine for the correct wind conditions. Well-built and very inexpensive for what you get.)
There are good reviews here and elsewhere, but I wanted to add a couple of do-before-buying recommendations:
- Don't rely on a simple windmap of your area of the country
- Measure it. There are many folks who have datalogging anemometers available for loan/rent on a tall pole.
- Put up a pole the height you're thinking of, and measure the wind speeds for (ideally) a month in the summer and in the winter.
- Consider going another ten feet higher in elevation. Most of the small wind turbines I've seen in the field have been mounted lower than optimal for the winds. The price of a taller tower is small compared to the turbine operating less efficiently.
- Then compare actual wind speeds with the power output vs. wind speed curves
- Get a permit if it's required!
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2010 9:42:34 PM PST
They Call Me Trinity says:
Thanks for the great tips - I had thought the same thing - before purchase putting up a datalogging anemometer on a tall pole the height I'm thinking of and measuring the wind speeds for (ideally) a month in the summer and in the winter.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›