1,119 of 1,143 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This 405 user loves his new 110, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS-Enabled Unisex Sport Watch (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
BACKGROUND:
-----------
I have used a Garmin 405 to track my weekend long runs for about 1.5 years. Previously I owned the Garmin 305. I'm using the 110 with with my 405 chest strap (saved me $50).

SUMMARY:
--------
The 110 does everything I do with my 405 in a significantly smaller, lighter form factor with a superior GPS chip (in theory, to be proven).

REASONS WHY I LIKE MY NEW 110 BETTER THAN MY OLD 405:
-----------------------------------------------------

* It's smaller and less bulky than the 405, looks and feels like a regular watch, and wraps snugly around my smallish wrist.

* I don't have to fiddle around with the temperamental 405 touch-(in)sensitive bezel.

* The displayed numbers for distance/hr/time/pace are bigger on the 110 than the 405, so easier for me to read on the run.

* There are fewer menus to navigate.

* Like the 405, GPS locking and accuracy works just fine, even under trees (more below).

* Like the 405, I can set the auto-lap to increment every 1 mile (other distances available).

* The 110 displays everything I want to track during and after my run.
- Elapsed distance (for run), Elapsed time (for run), Current HR, Average pace (for current lap), Last lap pace (displayed automatically for a few seconds after each lap), Average HR (for run), Average pace (for run). Average HR and pace for the entire run are show under "History" at the end of my run.

* To make this tangible, I can glance at the watch to see that so far I've run 2.1 miles in 21 minutes, my current HR is 160, my pace for the current mile (mile 3) is 9:56 and my pace for the last lap (mile 2) was 10:01. At the end of my run, I click through to "History" and see that my average HR for the entire run was 162bpm and my average pace was 9:54 minute miles. For me, currently, all I care about is keeping my HR in the 160-170bpm range (your range will probably be different) while trying to keep my pace under 10:00. In general, I suspect most runners will have the same requirements: Track your current HR to keep it within a target range while attempting to meet or beat a per-mile pace goal.

* The 110 has a longer battery life

* I never used the other 405 features like courses, virtual partner, etc. Ironically, I "customized" the 405 screens to pretty much do what the 110 displays by default (but cannot be changes).

WHAT'S ALL THE FUSS ABOUT "CURRENT PACE"?
-----------------------------------------

I guess some runners want to know the pace they are running RIGHT NOW. Think of it as their instantaneous pace - kinda like what a car speedometer gives you. Some folks call it "current pace" but that can be confusing when you also have average pace for the current mile, so let's call current pace the "right-now" pace. Unlike the 405, the 110 does not give you your right-now pace. Instead you get your average pace for the current lap. If your auto-lap is set to 1 mile (the default setting) then you'll see your average pace for the current mile. I for one don't need right-now pace. Since I'm trying to hit per-mile pace goals I want to see my average pace for the current mile. If I'm trying to hit a 10:00 pace for the current mile, and I start out too slow, the 110 will tell me my average pace for the current mile is slower, let's say 11:00, and I know I need to run the rest of the mile faster to bring my average pace for the current mile down from 11:00 to my target pace of 10:00. As I speed up, my average pace for the current mile will slowly drop from 11:00 to 10:00. Bottom line: Right-now pace doesn't help me hit per-mile pace goals so I could care less if it's "missing" from the 110. If all you are doing is trying to hit per-mile pace goals (eg run a 10:00 miles) then you'll be just fine with the 110.

ANY GPS ISSUES?
---------------

Not for me. Check out connect dot garmin dot com slash activity slash 44862992 and you'll see my test walk/run. Click to view the map in "Satellite" mode and notice that most of my test walk was under thick tree cover.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2010 6:45:58 PM PDT
Instantaneous velocity is very different from average velocity. It also helps you to get a "feel" for a speed. Glance at the watch, you see you're hitting the pace, and then you mentally acclimate to it. It also helps a great deal when going down & up hills to see what the specific pace is for a given portion of the set split (e.g. I run 5:20 tempo pace, but the hill in my loop dropped my pace back to 6:20 for 200m).

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2011 4:01:45 PM PDT
Adam Rogas says:

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 5:00:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2011 5:04:47 AM PST
C. Gragert says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 10:51:55 AM PST
The Garmin's won't work with the Polar heart rate monitor straps. I use a Garmin 705 for cycling and a FR305 for running. The 305 is currently the best value out there if you don't mind the size. Most of the features of the 310xt for less than half the price.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 12:12:56 PM PST
B. Russ says:
Thanks for this review. I just got a 405 and I absolutely hate the interface. It's way to easy to accidentally touch the wrong thing and in general it feels very sluggish and hard to use. I got it because at the time it was cheaper than the 110. Now I know why.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 10:43:20 AM PST
OneTreeMore says:
Great review, you answered most of the questions that I have about the 110. I have a 305 and a 205, but for what I do the 110 looks like the best deal. I just want to run and keep track of my pace and distance with less bulk.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 4:30:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2012 12:53:36 PM PDT
Perkasie says:
I own a Forerunner 110, w/o HRM. Just ordered the HRM from Amazon. Just go to settings on the 110 and turn on the HR Monitor. No need to purchase another GPS.
Thank you for explaining the differences between the models. An excellent review!

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 4:13:13 AM PDT
Bert says:
I would use a "right now" pace...you said that the default setting is 1 mile. Can this be changed to say .25miles? That would get me pretty close to my current pace setting.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 4:14:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 4:15:08 AM PDT
ldm616 says:
Yes I believe so. Google the manual to be sure, but I recall you can set the laps to any distance.

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:53:21 AM PDT
Spectacular review, thanks! You're absolutely right that nobody undestands "current" pace, great explanation.

(Which essentially is your "speed right now" -- a largely meaningless concept anyway, as any mathematician will tell you - it has to be averaged conceptually over SOME distance. people are just used to car speedos, which have no real relationship to running gps. indeed, the literal velocity of your left writs is often backwards! you have to smooth it over some distance.)

Thanks again ! Great review!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›