3.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire AS5750Z-4835 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black), May 18, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire AS5750Z-4835 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I just bought this laptop and although I like the hardware, it does have a few minor parts. Not a bad thing just things I would like to point out. So I'll try to keep this brief and useful.

Pros
1. Has space for 8gigs of ram. Mine came with four and I already had another four, so now I have a total of 8 gigs on it. Four should work just fine, I just happened to have the extra four. My old laptop only has 2 and I still use it.
2. 1.3 mega pixel camera, seems to work great in low lighting as the lights are low in my room.
3. Nice clear screen and gestures on the pad for zooming in and out on web pages is nice. Still haven't figured out how to use the other gestures.
4. Gigabit network jack, and b/g/n wireless built in.
5. I paid just over 300 bucks which was the reason I got it. It was on special at flys so it was hard to ignore it. So I got this for my dad to use since the old dell died. I also didn't want to spend more than this on a laptop now after I spent over 2k for my old sony years ago.

These are just the main 3 positive points I can think of at the moment but I'll update later. The rest of the hardware seems to work well.

Cons
1. The battery only shows 3 hours. I have it unplugged right now and now it shows 2 hours after about 20 minutes. So this is a big downer if you need to travel.
2. This one has no bluetooth, usb 3.0, or finger reader. I love the finger reader on my sony because I don't have to keep typing the login all the time, but I will not buy another sony again due to their proprietary downloads. Makes it hell trying to keep it updated and they never update anything either.
3. Windows home not pro, but I know it would add more to the price, so just a preference.
4. Weights more than a Toshiba I bought for someone else with the same size screen. Love that light weight on that Toshiba but only had 4 megs maximum.
5. The one other thing that really drives me crazy and that I am not a fan of are the chiclet keyboards. But I'll coin this one today too...this model comes with a mushroom chiclet type of keyboard. Basically each key looks like it stands by itself, and each one is flat. Personally I hate flat keys, I prefer the dented or concave keys so you can actually feel where the key is. I don't know why they keep doing this, but I just thought I point this out because this is why I still prefer to use my desktop over my laptops. So I only use them when I really have to go somewhere.

I only give it 3 stars due to the battery time. One of the most important parts of any laptop, but take that aside and the laptop hardware is pretty good. So even with the cons I would still get one again if I had to, at the lower price that is. As someone else mentioned, technology moves so fast, it's not worth putting more than I need to on these things.

Other
Just uninstall the trial Microsoft office, download Libreoffice and you got an office suite, add your printer and you're good to go.
I have also updated everything on the os and changed the shutdown button to lock, but when I hit the power button, the darn laptop still shutsdown. I accidentally hit the power button on the left corner and shut it down. So yes, I rather these buttons be farther in or middle to prevent accidental power offs. I also don't care for the plug on either side, I like them behind the laptop, but it is what it is. At least this one is near the rear corner and not in the middle like the asus laptop they had on special today.
Here are the Acer specifications...[...]

Update...the power option for the button is under the battery settings, so it can be changed to lock instead of power off in case you hit the power button accidentaly. So this took care of this problem for me.

Update August 25, 2012
Since I started using the laptop and because I carry this with me and move around quite a bit I have found a couple of things that don't work too well if you have to go out to different sites.
1. Having the power button on the top left edge is just bad.
2. Having the power cord on the same top left corner adds to this.
3. The network jack next to the power cord is horrible as I have to use a wire to test things. This is tough since it's next to the power so it's hard to get the wire in and out as I may have to do this a few times at one location and many times throughout the day.
-Now because the power cord is on the left I usually set my computer on the floor on one side and not flat, which means I have to use the right side and the problem is that the cd rom will just pop out as soon as the button hits anything but I have no choice but to use this side. Needless to say the drive came out the first time I was about to do this and almost broke it, so I just use tape over it and don't even close it all the way in since it just pops out with the lightest touch due to that button sticking out of the drive. Also because of this, I have to hold the laptop on the left side which I then end up pushing the power button because that's exactly where you put your thumb to hold it. This has made it a pain to use this laptop on the field. If you don't have to move it around much, it works fine, but these minor things get in the way fairly quickly on this model.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2012 11:21:20 AM PDT
Thank you!
This is a great review. You told everything I wanted to know about this computer -- as well as a few facts I would not have known enough to discover -- especially the flat keys, and the awkwardly placed power switch.
Clearly, you put a lot of time and thought into your review. So again, THANK YOU!
Theodore

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 8:58:48 PM PDT
Admin says:
You're very welcome. I'm glad I was able to help you. Yes I try to be as honest and complete with my reviews because this is what I also look for when I'm trying to learn about a new product and it's what helps me make my decisions. Whether something has positive and negatives, it does help. So I try to do the same.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 1:28:25 PM PDT
Wait, so how many slots are there for usb cords?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 1:43:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 1:49:01 PM PDT
Admin says:
3 USB, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA port, 1 network jack and one SD card reader. One other thing I just realised is that this computer does not have a built in modem. Not that most people use them now, but I'm sure you may still used them in some countries. I didn't realised there was no modem on this new computer, but just thought I should mention it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:33:06 PM PDT
Si Vrae says:
First and foremost, thank you for a thorough report on this lap top However, I just read your latest post and I'm sure my son will use this when he / we are out of the country...so, how do I get a modem for this? (if needed) I just bought it tonight for his birthday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:46:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 8:50:00 PM PDT
Admin says:
Thank you. Unfortunately I was as surprised to see that this laptop also did not include a modem, specially being the size it is. The good news is that you can buy an external usb modem for them. The bad side is that you will have one more item plugged into the laptop if all you have is dial-up which I know is still being used in many rural areas for example. I hope they keep adding the modems to the computers since they do come in handy at times. I did a search for "external modem" on Amazon and got many hits. I'm not sure if the link will work but just thought I let you know what I did in case it doesn't. They are pretty affordable so you can read their reviews and choose one.
I also forgot to mention, you can also use the wifi at a cyber cafe for example to access the internet if there is access, like a hotel. So you may not need the modem, but it would not hurt to have if you will be out in a country side. Just a thought.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:44:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 19, 2012 1:01:18 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 9:46:34 AM PDT
poodlemom says:
This is a laptop I'm considering buying for my 16 year old son....We've never owned a laptop. The price makes it seem a good value for a first one. He's going to do an online high school this year. I was thinking of him using a separate keyboard and monitor when he's at his desk. I appreciate all of your information.
Thank you so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 10:01:26 AM PDT
Admin says:
I'm glad it was helpful. The laptop should be fine for him. Just make sure you download the Microsoft free anti-virus and install it and check the settings to suit you, for example, scan daily, weekly, etc. I think I mentioned it before, for and office suite, you can also download the free libreoffice suite and he will be good to go. Just remember the extension is not a .doc so you may have to save it as a doc if you want to edit the documents under Microsoft office. The laptop comes with some trial software, but I just delete those and don't bother trying them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 8:43:57 AM PDT
poodlemom says:
Thanks again for your info. I just bought it this weekend at Target (for $313. with my Target card). What a deal!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (136 customer reviews)

$619.58