Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera, Great Price (Wifi description), June 6, 2013
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX S6500 Wi-Fi Digital Camera with 12x Zoom (Red) (Electronics)
I bought this camera a week ago at Costco. It is $159 (after $40 rebate) with 8gb card and leather case. I got the red color, as it is nice, and "different" but not as bright as the orange. I was replacing my Nikon Coolpix S5200 (I believe) that had the touchscreen (horrible). I had bought it in March at Costco for the same price as this, but it was horrible....

Anyways, I haven't used the camera that much, but so far I am impressed with the pictures I have taken. The speed could be faster, from wake up to processing between photos' but I don't want to be too picky.

I wanted to explain the WiFi as I couldn't find that much information on it before purchasing....

If you have a Iproduct (Phone, Pad, etc), you download an app from the App Store called "Wireless Mobility Utility". You go to the settings on the camera, and you turn the Wifi on, it starts "searching". During that time, you go to your I"product" and you go to your Wifi Settings and choose "Nikon Coolpix" as that is now your Wireless "hot spot". (you can do this anywhere, you do not need to be near any other wifi hotspot). You open the App and you can either use your I"product" to "take a picture" remotely (great for family shots, but the camera still has the 2 second and 10 second timer mode), or you can View the photos on your camera, and upload them to your iproduct instantly. It is GREAT!!!! There is no need for any special attachment for your ipad/phone to insert the SD card (I already have this, but won't need it now).

When you are done, you turn the Wifi off on the camera, as it is a battery suck, and your wifi on your iproduct goes back to whatever hotspot you were usually using for uploading to social media, or whatnot.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2013 10:31:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2013 10:31:43 AM PDT
Hello I do not have iphone I have Galaxy III do you think WiFi will work for me? I do have iPad, latest, but I don't want to clutter the memory up with pics. Any suggestions? And thnks for your input. So your Total deal cam+case+card=$159.00 Wow that's a steal. I should get from there too, coz I like the color orange (unique). plz advise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 10:40:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2013 10:47:35 AM PDT
S. Teague says:
Hi, Is a Galaxy an android devise? I konw that here is an android app too. Yes, $159 for camera, case, and 8gb card! I should mention that you don't have to upload ALL of the photo's from the camera to your Ipad or Android device, you can just select the ones that you want to transfer, OR transfer all of them.

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 1:29:07 PM PDT
Thanks for your excellent instructions on how to use the wifi. I just purchased the camera at COSTCO for the price that you quoted. Without your instrutions I dont know how I could have figured out how to use the wifi feature. Now my question is when would one want to use this feature? I suppose one could now email the pics taken on the Nikon via the Iphone. As far as viewing the pics, why would one just rather view them on the camera or even better view them on a monitor (TV) via a HDMI cable Nikon interface of which I just purchased on Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 1:39:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2013 1:40:25 PM PDT
S. Teague says:
Recently, I was on an Alaskan cruise. I transferred most of my pictures from the camera to my Ipad so that when I was in port, I could post them on facebook so my family could see. I dont see using this all the time, but it is a great way on a trip to backup your photo's from the camera to another device. Thanks for the compliment on my review. I had a hard time figuring it out, so thought it would be nice to help other people out.

Posted on Aug 27, 2013 8:35:57 AM PDT
Lee Brodie says:
I also bought this camers from Costco - it came with memory card and case.
I followed the directions - skimpy directions in the booklet - and finally contacted Nikon for more help.
Never did get the camera to sync with my Iphone. Perhaps it was just this particular camera. Returned it to Costco.

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 8:30:20 AM PDT
S. Dominick says:
You have made my day! I have searched the Internet, tried to call Nikon and then found your simple, excellent instructions for getting pictures to my iPad. I had downloaded the app, but no one put the instructions in order. Again, thank you!

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 4:03:23 PM PDT
Amanda says:
Hi I purchased this camera from costco too, but I have a slight problem with taking the images. There seems to be a time interval between taking 2 shots. For eg. if I take a picture, then the camera takes some time for me to take the next picture. This is very annoying as I don't want to wait so long. Have you experienced this too? and is there a way to reset the time interval between 2 shots? I'm taking regular pictures. Can you please help.

Posted on Sep 23, 2013 8:17:18 PM PDT
Abby says:
Do you know if you can also post directly to facebook? Thanks!

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 7:02:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 5, 2014 7:08:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2014 7:06:04 PM PDT
S. Teague says:
I never said it wouldn't connect to a PC, so I have no idea who you are referring to. I've only used it to send pictures to my Ipad via the WMU app.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›