Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome when it works, but buggy for me..., January 28, 2011
This review is from: SteelSeries World of Warcraft Cataclysm MMO Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)
I'm currently on my second Cataclysm mouse and shopping for a permanent replacement. I'm not the least bit excited about finding an alternative because despite its setbacks, I absolutely love using this mouse in game and I have no idea how I'm going to adjust to a mouse with fewer buttons. I play a tanking class in warcraft and the numerous buttons at my fingertips make it exceedingly easy to adapt to the gameplay during heroics and raids.

My issues so far:

First off, the presets for the mouse are stupid. I don't need a special hot key on my mouse to open my bags, check my guild, or bring up my charecter screen... I do those actions maybe once or twice a day and I have no issues with going to a menu for that. I personally want my 17 buttons to be all for combat and vent controls that I can easily bind with my Bartender UI. However changing the settings to do that was a pain, and my second issue.

The Steelseries UI won't let you just re-assign a mouse button to a letter, or a number. So if you want mouse button number 14 to actually be the letter "P", you have to scroll through a list of "Actions" until you find "Open Spellbook" (which in warcraft language equals the letter P). If you're using this for anything other than Warcraft, or maybe you don't know that there's a letter bind for checking your PVP currency, the process can get really annoying. However after I had that all figured out, and the mouse was now bound to letters that I could re-assign to combat bars... I fell in love with it.

Until lastly, issue three. For some unknown reason, my mouse loves to lose tracking and go into these 5-6 second seizures on my screen. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like the cursor is in a paint mixer and violently shaking up and down. I can get it to stop immediately by hitting the spacebar, or unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in... but the problem always comes back. In a dungeon or raid it becomes detrimental becuase I can't click on a mob, and if I'm looking around when it happens my view snaps all over the place. Worse is when it happens while I'm flying and guiding my mount with the mouse because I'll suddenly take off in 15 different directions while my buddies laugh at my toon. I've swapped out the mouse at Best Buy, re-installed the drivers, used different USB ports, and disabled its special features in-game, and I get the same results.

I'm still looking for a solution to the issue but in the meantime I'm also looking for a new mouse. I haven't seen anyone else with this problem so I'm assuming it's my computer, but since Computer Cost > Mouse Cost the mouse has to go.

So if you are using it for Warcraft, you can re-bind everything ok, your hands are somewhat large, and you don't get the bug... you'll really enjoy it. If not, then you will be looking for a replacement like me.

___________________________

Edit (5/23/2011): Eventually found the bug was caused by a conflict with software that was running in the background. My laptop had a program that would stop inputs from my touch pad when it detected a mouse, and I found that erasing this program and manually stopping the touch pad when I needed to was an easy fix. Still not sure why the Cataclysm Mouse was the only mouse with an issue, but that fixed it for me.

Sadly though, I've since purchased and trained myself to use the Razer Nagga MMORPG Mouse and I'm pretty happy with that. Setup was a breeze (the buttons are all pre-assigned to your number pad, so it was cake re-assigning those to action bars and macros in-game), and while it's intimidating as hell, having 12 buttons for your thumb to use eventually becomes second nature and easy to use.

Like I said above though, I loved the Cataclysm mouse and if I wasn't so used to another MMO mouse already I'd go back in a second.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2011 1:13:25 AM PST
I just bought this mouse and haven't experienced any of the issues you are talking about. You can EASILY bind the mouse buttons to whatever keyboard keys you want by making a custom macro and using the "no delay" option.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2011 8:40:59 PM PDT
Desy says:
^ Like he said. Use macros to bind to specific keys, or use the IN-Game mode to assign it to your key-bindings manually, though I'm sure that you've probably figured it out by now.

My issue with this mouse is that when I use the in-game mode to assign key binds, every button behaves as a left click - so if i have the cursor hovered over an action bar, and I press any of the 14 mouse buttons, it essentially acts as if I left clicked and activates the skill that the cursor was placed over. Super annoying.

Posted on May 23, 2011 12:49:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 23, 2011 12:56:16 PM PDT]

Posted on May 23, 2011 12:58:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 23, 2011 12:58:38 PM PDT]

Posted on May 23, 2011 1:02:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 23, 2011 1:03:40 PM PDT]

Posted on May 23, 2011 1:14:08 PM PDT
Dictator says:
I have the First Gen of this mouse and I bind the mouse buttons in game to the originally assigned numbers the mouse software comes up with. This enables me to play each character without relearning number assignments. Also, I have the issue you spoke about with the mouse becoming unresponsive after a bit of gameplay. I keep the Mouse software open in another window and Detect WOW gaming mouse enabled in WOW. Just click on the mouse software window and click back in game. That fixes it for me most of the time. Otherwise I do have to unplug the mouse which I get very angry about. I still feel that this is probably one of the best mice out there for this game. I also have an old ZMERC keyboard that I so love. Controls on my left hand so I can use my mouse on my right :) Sorry about the other posts, I had trouble using my real name vs Pen name

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 2:03:15 AM PST
Kelly Marie says:
Can you use this mouse with all WoW games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:43:39 PM PST
Dictator says:
Yes, I purchased this one as a replacement for the first verion and I have had no problems with it so far. Night and day in the operation to me. I did notice that the mouse is larger but I have become use to it and cannot play without it.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:18:23 AM PDT
I think I saw what you are talking about, today, twice for the first time at the upper left of screen. This wasn't the usual 15 minute siesta Windows likes to take, or the teemporary floating mouse, both usually I click on the taskbar [Petition001: Lets find a new word for "Task"], and go to "Hide the Bar" for a while. But, I had just starting using the Steelseries Merc today, with one Naga Molten and one wired Logitech Trackball in middle on top [Still my favorite mouse], but regardless the problem may be exactly as you put it. The Merc is nice. I'll have to look a the manual to find the Delete key. Oh, well...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›