4.0 out of 5 stars LINUX REVIEW - A _MUST_ for HTPC -- UPDATE, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad, Black (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
UPDATE - 12-18-2013: This is probably the best piece of electronic equipment I've ever used, as far as longevity goes (got it 2011). Between my wife and son, this keyboard has been dropped, banged, flipped, and otherwise abused more times than I can count... and it's still working perfectly. A must for HTPCs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Review:

I wanted to add my own review to the Linux camp, and confirm or add to what others have said. I'm coming at this review from an out-of-the-box functionality point of view--I'm not going to dive in and compile drivers to change anything. Here's what to expect with the unaltered product:

- Overall, I'm giving this 4 stars because it worked with Ubuntu 10.4, right out of the box. I simply plugged in the dongle and was good to go. It's light, small, the keys are responsive, and the single- and two-finger touchpad functionality (scrolling, etc.) works perfectly.
- Because it's light, the body of the keyboard feels just a little flimsy, but not in a "this is going to fall to pieces in two days" kind of way. I prefer the lighter design, to be honest.
- Some of the keys are smaller, so you might find yourself making some errors until you get used to the layout. It's nothing to scream about, though. For a "couch keyboard", I think the key sensitivity is perfect, and I didn't find myself constantly having to watch my typing.
- This might seem like a weird point, but I love the fact that this keyboard can stand on its top edge. I can slide this on a shelf with other items, and it won't slam down if those items are removed or jostled.

Here's the Linux issue:
- Though this functions "out of the box", advanced functions aren't available. Unlike my trackball wireless keyboard, there's no way to change the speed/sensitivity of the touchpad. I like a speedy pointer, and it took me a while to get used to having a slower pointer. Advanced drivers--allowing sensitivity adjustments--are available for Windows users, but I found nothing for Linux on Logitech's website, and Logitech did not respond when I tried contacting them about Linux drivers. There's an open source applet available which allows users to change the sensitivity of their mouse from 400cpi to 800cpi, but nothing official. It would be nice to allow users to search "Logitech" or "k400" in the Ubuntu Software Center and install a supported package allowing for advanced functions. One could probably use NDISwrapper, too, but I'm only looking at supported options in this review.

Regardless of the driver issue, I would definitely recommend this keyboard for HTPC use, whether you're running Windows or Linux.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2012 10:26:55 AM PDT
R. Bailey says:
I am using this keyboard with Ubuntu 12.04. I can adjust the speed of the pointer through the Mouse and Touchpad settings. The Mouse Acceleration adjustment seems to have the desired effect. The Touchpad settings do not have any effect.

The small right shift key is a real pain for touch typist. I keep hitting the up arrow by mistake.

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 7:55:12 PM PDT
Drew Cheney says:
R. Bailey's comment comes at a perfect time, as HTPC users on the fence about software upgrades might get some excuses in the coming months. I use my Linux box to record TV shows and surf, so I've never bothered to jump past 10.4. With Valve bringing Steam to Ubuntu, there might be better Linux support peeking over the horizon--not just for Windows-centric software, but with hardware vendors, too.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:10:55 AM PST
NDISwrapper is for windows wireless adapter drivers not input devices. I switched from Rii mini keyboard The K400 has much greater battery life and signal is better. Also the Rii mini only has one alt key and it gets mapped ALT_R. All keys work in K400 like they should

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 8:24:03 AM PST
Drew Cheney says:
Thanks! I'm still a Linux noob, so getting better info is always great. See my original posting date? I'm still using the batteries that came with the keyboard. No joke! Your comment about the batteries is 100% correct.

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 10:38:00 PM PDT
I had my K400 running on my Dell PC with Ubuntu 12.04 for well over a year. No issues. Then suddenly it just stopped responding! It was also good with a Rikomagic Android 4.2 Quad Core Mini PC MK802 IV stick. No problems there either until it stopped working. It ran on both units right out of the box. I of course replaced the batteries, twice. Then when it no longer responded, I moved it over to my Windows 7 machine and it did not work there either until I downloaded their 'special setpoint652_smart software'. I did this and finally it came back to life! I tried this on two different W7 machines, Both needed the special downloaded software to work. But it still will not work any longer on the Android or Linux machines. I even upgraded to Linux Mint 15. Still NADA! So now I am peaved and wondering how this could happen! Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2013 11:08:53 PM PDT
Drew Cheney says:
Uh... wow. That's really weird. Mine has been used constantly with the same HTPC (to the point of it not being updated to the most current release... yeah, still rockin' 10.4), and even with older software, it's never acted up.

For the sake of suggesting something--anything--I'll say: Give it a good blasting with dust-off. Other than that, some of the real cool cats might be able to help you, 'cause I got nuttin'...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013 1:25:39 AM PDT
N. Guarneri says:
Try it with a Linux live CD on another laptop or computer. Maybe something in your installation got changed or corrupt and it's not wanting to do plug and play for your keyboard anymore. Just a guess.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›