5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Camera!!, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Canon PowerShot G11 10MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Optical Stabilized Zoom and 2.8-inch articulating LCD (Electronics)
I actually still shoot film the vast majority of the time however I purchased my mother a G-10 for her birthday last year and spent a couple weeks using the camera so I could adequately teach her how to use it. I have since borrowed it on numerous occasions and was actually about to buy my own G-10 but then I heard about the G-11 so I figured I would wait and buy the new upgraded version. I am glad I did just that. For me this camera is worth upgrading to just for the swivel LCD view screen on the back. I cant tell you how many times I have shot outdoors and was completely unable to see the LCD screen even when you shaded it with one of your hands. Adding the swivel option basically eliminates this problem. This option is so nice when shooting outdoors that I am honestly thinking about upgrading my mothers camera for this one reason alone as she doesn't have the best eyesight which means if I am having problems seeing the viewfinder, I can only imagine how hard it is for her to see it.

The next best thing I have noticed about this camera is its improved film speed ratings. I have already done a lot of testing with the G-11 and to say that they have improved the speed ratings is a huge understatement especially in the higher film speed settings. I was extremely hesitant to use a film speed over 400 with the G-10 yet I am using speeds above 800 with the G-11. Depending on the conditions your shooting in you should see anywhere from a 1.0 to 2.0 stop difference. I did some tests where the G-11 shot pictures at 800 that were basically equivalent to a 200 on the G-10. I was hoping for an improvement in this area but wasn't expecting this big of an improvement.

The next biggest improvement has to be with the auto mode. I tested the auto mode extensively with the G-10 as that was going to be the mode my mother used the most, at least out of the gate, and I was unimpressed. There were too many shooting situations to count that easily fooled the camera into shooting with settings that were less than optimal. You would still get decent results but it definitely needed improvement and they have done just that. Running the identical tests I did with the G-10 clearly showed that this camera is much better at selecting the appropriate shooting mode. Some conditions were drastic improvements. This is probably the 2nd biggest reason why I am most likely going to be upgrading my mothers camera to a G-11.

A lot of people were concerned with the G-11 as it actually has a smaller picture size than the G-10. The G-10 has a 14.7 MP size and the G-11 only has a 10 MP size. Overall that's a 32% decrease in maximum size. People who have a high understanding of digital imaging sensors knew not to worry as the MP size is not the most important aspect to an imaging chip. Details such as dynamic range, image noise and low-light performance are just as important, if not more important, when discussing overall image quality. I for one have always hated the MP war as we passed the quality that the vast majority of the population would be content with a long time ago. It has basically become a numbers game where people think that bigger is better and they just don't seem to grasp that they will never have any use for such high MP images. So I tip my hat to Canon for taking this extremely bold step as this is the FIRST time that we have seen resolution reduced in a line of cameras that is still progressing forward. IMO this is the white flag that signifies the war of the MP is finally coming to an end and we will finally see companies focused on these other, equally important, image qualities as much as they have been with the MP size. As for the image quality of the new sensor, its outstanding! I immediately noticed a difference in the overall quality of the images. They seem richer with much less compression on the higher and lower ends. If I had the choice of choosing between the G-10 sensor and the G-11 sensor I would take the G-11 sensor every single time. Again a big tip of the hat to Canon for boldly choosing to go this route with the G-11 sensor.

The G-11 retains the same 5x optical zoom lens from the G-10 which in case your unaware is equivalent to a 28mm to 140mm lens. Also the same is the aperture settings which go from f/2.8 to f/4.5 depending on the zoom setting. Shutter speeds range from 1/4,000 to 15 seconds and it has the same metering modes as the G-10 (evaluative, center-weighted and spot). Thankfully they didn't make any changes to the manual dials at the top of the camera as that is easily one of my favorite aspects to these cameras. ISO speed and the camera mode dials let you quickly and easily switch the most important settings. I an an old school photographer so I still prefer dials to buttons. IMO its the best set up out of all the point and shoots on the market.

2 other noticeable improvements include an increased flash sync speed of 1/2000 and a high-definition HDMI connector (Dont worry it still has the USB 2.0 connection).

The bottom line is that Canon has taken the G-10, which was easily one of the best point and shoots on the market, and made some outstanding improvements that have taken this camera line to a whole new level. If your one of those people who care more about how many MPs your camera has than the actual image quality of the camera then you should stick with the G-10. If however you are more concerned with image quality than MP's then drop what your doing, list your G-10 on eBay and run out and buy the G-11. The image quality, improved noise performance, and swivel back LCD screen make this camera absolutely worth every penny.

The only negative thing I can say about this camera is in regards to Canon's sheer ignorance when it comes to the lack of standard size filter threads. How hard would it be to design this camera so it had a 52 or 58mm threaded lens opening? Trust me when I tell you it would be extremely easy. At the very least they could design it so all you needed was a simple step up ring to 52mm or 58mm. Instead they leave out threads altogether and make you go out and spend around a hundred bucks on a 3rd party aluminum lens tube that then allows you to use 58mm and 72mm filters. The "Plastic" Canon Lens tube isn't even an option as its so poorly designed. It just really annoys me that canon totally ignores this aspect of this camera. In all honesty threaded lens openings should be mandatory for all cameras, even point and shoots. Again it would be EXTREMELY Easy to change.

Overall the G-11 is simply an amazing, must buy, camera.

5 Stars!!

Edit......

The more I thought about it the more I thought I should come on here and be more specific in regards to the lens tube issue. While Amazon will not allow me to write the name of the company that makes the aluminum lens tube that people should buy if they want to use filters with the G-10 or G-11, I can however be specific in regards to which one you absolutely should not buy which ironically is the one made by Canon. The lens tube that you should stay away from is the LA-DC58K Lens Adapter and here is a link to that item.

Canon LA-DC58K Conversion Lens Adapter for Canon G10 Digital Cameras

There are multiple problems with the LA-DC58K. First its plastic which means the overall quality is much lower than the other options on the market, besides plastic threads are never a good idea as they wear down with time making it harder and harder to properly screw things in as it ages. This simply doesn't happen with brass or aluminum threads. The biggest problem with the LA-DC58K is that it doesn't fit soundly on the camera. Once installed it should be 100 movement free, in other words it should have a nice sound fit and that just isn't what you get with the LA-DC58K. It rattles around and is completely unstable once fitted in the camera and this is simply inexcusable. As if this wasn't enough you also get severe vignetting at wide angles and the tube isn't long enough thus it restricts full zoom ability. I honestly have absolutely no clue how this accessory was allowed to go to market in its current condition.

I know it may seem unbelievable that Canon could design an accessory for one of its flagship models that has this many problems but believe it as everything I wrote is 100% accurate. I am one of the unfortunate people that ordered the LA-DC58K. It was absolutely horrid and was boxed up and returned after less than an hour of use. Its a shame that I cant give the name of the company that makes the aluminum version but since its not sold on Amazon its against their policy to list it. Just Google "Aluminum lens tube canon G10" and you should easily find the company that produces it.

I hope this helps!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2009 3:51:16 AM PDT
Gottcha says:
I really appreciated your intelligent and thoughtful review. These camera's are so expensive, and new versions are coming out so rapidly that it's hard to know whether there was a massive improvement or they just want more camera sales. Your review will help a lot of people. As to the filter fittings, I think that could be a ploy from the marketing department to get the people that had 500.00 for a camera, to spend more $$$$. Thank you again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2009 8:49:46 AM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

Your absolutely correct that its the marketing dept and the fact that Canon actually make a lens tube that addresses this problem clearly shows this. They are simply trying to squeeze another 50 bucks out of people's pocket which is nothing short of disgraceful especially when you consider the Lens tube made by Canon is absolutely pathetic quality wise. So basically they designed the camera without threads so people would be forced to buy an accessory yet the accessory made by Canon is so bad that most people are not going to buy it anyways. That makes a lot of sense, lol. I would rather they just hike up the price of the camera 50 bucks and design it with threads and I am betting most people who use filters would agree.

The biggest problem with what they have done by going this route is they have ultimately lowered the overall quality of the camera, especially if people wind up using the canon lens barrel and there is something seriously wrong when a company is ok with that especially when it relates to one of their most popular and highest rated cameras. Hopefully people do a little research into the lens tube before buying so they wont get duped into buying the Canon version. I have already seen hundreds of reviews from pissed off customers who purchased the Canon lens tube. Thankfully the 3rd party aluminum version is outstanding in every possible way.

Its ridiculous and again its the only negative I can think of with this camera. I honestly expected more from Canon. They have designed an amazing camera but that doesn't justify this and the fact that they basically have decided to leave things as is for the G-11 just makes it that much worse.

Posted on Oct 16, 2009 3:20:33 PM PDT
DFWScout says:
The name of the company for the 3rd party lens adapter is Lensmate. Google that name. For the G10/G11 it comes in two pieces: a base piece (A) (which must be purchased) and one of two secondary pieces to be attached to the first; one for wide angle (B), one for telephoto work (C). I ordered A and B for a total of about $50. I also purchased the adapter for G7/G9 and it is first rate build quality. Absolutely do not order the Canon version.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009 11:14:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2009 11:36:25 PM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
Well hopefully Amazon doesn't come in here and delete the name of the company from your post as that is what they have done to every single post in the G-10 reviews. Your not allowed to name the company if its not sold on Amazon which is why I didn't list the name. Anyways hopefully they leave it up as its the right thing to do especially in this situation. I purchased A, B and C as I wanted the ability to go as wide as possible without vignetting and you need the 72mm section for that. I wound up spending a little over 100 bucks for A, B and C plus lens caps for both the 58mm and 72mm section. L******e is a fantastic company and their products are fantastic quality. Its well worth the money!

In regards to filters, If any of you have any of the Zeiss Softar series filters, try using one of those filters with the camera in sepia mode and give it about a stop over exposure. Its truly one of the best filtered looks I have seen using a digital camera. Its outstanding for portraits.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 4:15:19 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 4:17:59 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 4:21:01 AM PDT
dfwscout, where did you find the best prices on the D10/11 adapters you liked?

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 5:37:54 AM PDT
I think the reason why standard size filter threads are not present is for one major reason....Canon doesn't want you to buy the G11 and completely ditch your DSLR and all those pricey (but sweet) lenses. I think these small cameras have gotten so good that one day they may very well replace a DSLR 99% of the time.....and honestly, for most people, all you need is a point and shoot...you don't need all those high end interchangeable lenses unless you are planning to print out the pictures, you are a serious photo enthusiast (like me), or you are doing this professionally. I admit, since my last canon point

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 8:24:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2009 9:13:40 AM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
"Where have you seen the Softar filters? and what is a good price for them? which ones or ones are the most versital? I am pretty new to most of this hobby, but am interested to , among other things, use my new Canon to get nice portraits of my kids and grandkids. thank you. Kathleen P.S. and do I then need the previously alluded to Adapter ring? May also want a polarizing filter.. ??."

Well if you want to buy them new your best bet is to get in touch with either Calumet, B & H Photo or Adorama. Be forewarned they are expensive. You could always keep your eyes on eBay as they show up on there from time to time and you will get a better deal price wise. As expensive as they are they are absolutely worth it as there is no better diffusion filter especially if your doing portraiture. Softar comes in 3 different strengths, #1 being the least amount of effect, #2 being the middle, and #3 being the strongest diffusion effect. As for the price, if I remember correctly I paid 600 for all 3. They will usually run around 200 each then again I purchased my set almost 10 years ago. With the price of film based gear crashing you might be able to find them for much cheaper. I just dont know. You will have to start searching around.

If your strapped for cash you can of course go with a different diffusion filter. While it wont be as nice as the softar you can still get some great pictures with some of the lesser quality filters. In particular the Hoya Duto filter is really nice especially if you have something bright in the background, like a window. The really bright areas of the picture will bleed light into the other parts of the picture. It can be a very nice effect when done properly. I actually just took some pictures of our new kitty using that filter and technique and they came out really really nice.

Then you have the cinematic style filters from Tiffen. I have almost all of these filters are many of them really are outstanding. In particular the Gold Diffusion, The Digital HT Soft FX, Pro Mist, and the Warm Black Pro Mist. Most of these filters come in 5 different strengths, 1- 5. The higher the number the more prominent the effect. I usually like the middle numbers the best as the low numbers just don't add enough effect and the higher numbers sometimes add too much effect. This is however personal taste and everyone is different. Tiffen used to have a book that would show examples of all of their filters. I would call them and see if they still make those available. I am sure if you goggled any one of these filters you would not only find out everything you need to know but you should also be able to find example shots with these filters.

By the way, yes you will have to get the lens tube that has been discussed. The post by DFWScout tells you the name of the company. Just go to their website and you will see a section for G10/G11. The tube comes in 3 parts. Part A, Part B and Part C. Part A is the section of the tube that connects to your camera. Part B and Part C then screw on to Part A. The difference between Part B and Part C is that one allows you to use 58mm filters and the other allows you to use 72mm filters. While 58mm filters are cheaper, due to their smaller size, you do get vignetting when you go maximum wide angle with the 58mm section. The 72mm section has no vignetting but the filters are a bit more expensive. I actually got A, B & C as I already own some filters in both 58 and 72 sizes. I would actually think about getting all 3 lens tube sections as its only like 20 additional dollars for the 3rd section. Make sure you get lens caps, they sell them in the same section on that site.

Hopefully that helps you out. If you want the best then definitely go with the Ziess Softar series. If you cant afford it then dont fret, there are plenty of diffusion options out there and many of them make outstanding pictures.

Best of luck and happy shooting!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 9:09:23 AM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
"I think the reason why standard size filter threads are not present is for one major reason....Canon doesn't want you to buy the G11 and completely ditch your DSLR and all those pricey (but sweet) lenses. I think these small cameras have gotten so good that one day they may very well replace a DSLR 99% of the time.....and honestly, for most people, all you need is a point and shoot...you don't need all those high end interchangeable lenses unless you are planning to print out the pictures, you are a serious photo enthusiast (like me), or you are doing this professionally."

Yeah tht could have something to do with it. It also has to do with the fact that they are getting people to pony up another 50 bucks for their lens tube. Its just pure greed. What ever happened to making the best product possible?? Oh yeah, its been killed by corporate greed. You are correct that the point and shoots are making giant leaps in quality and will in fact make many people think twice about buying a DSLR. What I would love to see from Canon now is a point and shoot style camera with interchangeable lenses. Kind of like a Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7 yet digital and much smaller. Instead of having huge lenses you would have lenses that could fit in your pocket. I would also love to see Canon bring out some point and shoots with killer lenses. In all honesty that is the one thing that is really holding back these camera's. A really nice lens. I would easily pay $1250.00 - $2000.00 for a G11 style point and shoot that had a primo Schneider lens on it. Oh well one can dream!!

I am both a professional and an enthusiast. In other words I shoot pictures to make money but I also shoot pictures for myself. Actually the vast majority of pictures that I take are for myself. I am fortunate to only work 5 months out of the year. The rest of the time I have off and I spend the majority of that time shooting for myself.

It seems the last part of your post got cut off.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›