The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Nice upgrades but could've been much better, October 8, 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Electronics)
UPDATE January 30, 2013

Well, a new firmware update just killed my WDTV. It no longer sees my Windows Share even though every other device on my network does (AppleTV, Windows Computers, Mac Computers, etc). My Windows Share does not even appear on the list of Windows Shares. There is a thread on the WD Forums with users having the same issues as well as other issues with this firmware: [...]
In addition phone technical support is useless and rolling back to previous firmwares as suggested does not work either. Everything was working just fine before this latest update and now the unit is useless even after trying to rollback firmware.

Doesn't look like WDTV cares either.
=================================================

This product is a nice upgrade over the previous model since it does add Wifi and a greatly improved GUI. But some of the new features are kind of handicapped.

-The wireless N function of this device is 2.4ghz only. So if you have a 5ghz wireless N network you will be stuck either changing your router settings or using wireless G

-The metadata information only downloads for files that are directly attached to the device through USB not over the network.

-Unable to rate or add favorites for your files or folders over the network, only on directly attached storage.

Overall, still a great product since it plays everything I've thrown at it but could've been much better.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 10, 2011 11:44:57 AM PDT
Jeff Chen says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Thanks for your review. We will look into adding support for the metadata information for network source.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Initial post: Oct 10, 2011 11:44:57 AM PDT
Jeff Chen says:
(MANUFACTURER)

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 6:57:23 AM PDT
rivenlogik says:
Why, why, why would they deploy what will soon be the old generation of Wireless N? No 5GHz suppport? SERIOUSLY?

I was deadset on grabbing this after hearing about built in wifi but now I know it's pointless. It's like the iPhone offering wireless N on the 2.4GHz band only as well. TOO MUCH interference folks. Very disappointed in these streaming players deciding to drop the 5GHz band.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 12:53:10 PM PDT
digAl says:
Thanks for mentioning the lack of metadata info for networked media. I have an unRAID server with lots of movies and TV that would've been blank.
I guess I'll pre-order the PopcornHour A-300.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 7:26:50 AM PDT
Hi Jeff,

Is there a time frame on when this feature will be added. This is the only feature that is holding me back from upgrading my WDTV Live.

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 2:48:22 PM PST
Epor says:
Metadata is now supported on network resources as of the latest firmware update.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 4:10:50 AM PST
Dear Jeff,
I am thinking of ordering a replacement for my 1st Gen WD HD Media Player, and the people that are distributing WD in my country asked me what model of the new one I want. WDBHG70000NBK which is NTSC or WDBGXT0000NBK which is PAL. I live in Europe and I think it should be the PAL version, does this make any difference? What is the difference?
Thank you very much in advance.
Georgi.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 3:20:27 AM PST
g says:
Georgi,
the only difference in various country versions of this player is what type of prongs the included 220/120 to 12v DC power supply has. $1 in a prong adapter for your coutnry and you are fine with one bought anywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 3:35:04 AM PST
OK, great:)
Jeff, thanks a lot for your reply, the new one is already on its way to my place.:)

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 8:41:06 AM PST
P. Miranda says:
The lack of a 5ghz band shouldn't be a problem. Unless your media device is sitting practically in the same room with your router, the actual throughput is far decreased compared to the 2.4ghz band anyway. I have a simultaneous dual band router (Cisco E4200) with a multitude of devices connected both at 5ghz and 2.4ghz depending on location throughout the house. Anything in another room has a faster throughput on 2.4ghz due to it's better transition through walls and doors, and longer range. In fact, I only use 5ghz at all so we can all use the network as efficiently as possible, streaming on bands at the same time (450mbps + 300mbps).

Also, as of the latest firmware, metadata is now network supported.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 6:24:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2012 6:35:55 AM PST
bplzip says:
I, too, was about to purchase this. But without wireless N 5 Ghz band support, I'll pass.
My recently purchased Cisco dual band router resolved an issue I'd been having. My laptop frequently lost its wireless connection due to bluetooth interference. Haven't lost a connection since switching to the 5 Ghz band.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (2,135 customer reviews)

$129.99 $97.99