2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit normal length pencils/colored pencils, January 16, 2012
This review is from: ArtBin 1106AB 6-Compartment Prism Box, Transparent Clear (Misc.)
I have countless graphite pencils, charcoal pencils, and colored pencils that aren't organized very well. I have a container to hold each TYPE of pencil but I have so many different hardness/colors that it can be impossible to find the color or darkness of lead I need amidst the piles. So.. I've set out on a journey to find a good compartmentalized box to keep my materials safe, easily accessible, and organized. I wasn't sure if this would work well, which is why I only bought one with the intention of buying more if it did the job. Well for one, Prismacolor pencils, Faber Castell Polychromos, and Derwent Couloursoft colored pencils do NOT fit in the length of the container. They are about half an inch to an inch too long. Shorter pencils that have gotten more sharpenings/uses fit, but as I said... I'm a bit of a pencil hoarder and have several full-length pencils, even backups of my "staple" colors that just will not fit. I know it doesn't say this box can hold pencils but I figured that if it was intended to hold art supplies such as pens and markers that pencils would fit just fine... unfortunately, I was wrong.

Another gripe is that it feels cheaply made. The hinges are very wobbly and weak, and I'm a little scared to open and close it too much. So that's a thought to keep in mind even if you ARE buying this for pens/markers.
If this was just half an inch to an inch longer, it would be a perfect way to color-organize my many pencils.. but it's just not going to work, sadly. The hunt for compact, portable pencil organization continues!

Update: I used the ArtBin to store small things, like tubes of watercolor, spare erasers, tortillions, etc. As I predicted, the lid broke off. Since it was fairly cheap and served a purpose (even if it wasn't the purpose I'd originally bought it for), I decided to purchase another one, and the same thing happened. I now have two of these containers and both of them became useless in less than a year. So, whether you're looking into this for pencils or for odds and ends, it's going to fail you. Look elsewhere.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2012 1:58:48 PM PST
cobugi says:
I'm so glad I read your review before purchasing this product since I wanted it to store prismacolor markers. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 2:13:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2014 9:49:15 AM PST
Autumn says:
I don't know how it would fit the markers, but I know it doesn't fit the pencils.

Edit: I have the Prismacolor brush tip markers and I decided to check to see if they fit. They DO fit but you probably wouldn't be able to fit more than 2 per slot so it's not really worth it if you have a decent sized collection. I would suggest checking site-that-must-not-be-named for Prisma marker cases though. A little while ago I scored a 24 set of new, unused Prismacolor markers PLUS the case for less than Amazon charges for the markers alone. You kind of have to keep an eye out but it's worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 11:27:46 AM PDT
Jason Grimm says:
Thanks for the review I'm glad I read it. I read something similar for the ArtBin Satchel box which doesn't close right with some markers because of height issues even thought it lists those brands as compatible. It's strange that a company named "ArtBin" wouldn't know this. They must not be the designer? It's obvious common sense that if one s going to design such a product that you'd leave enough room in hieght or length, & not risk being too short.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›