Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Halfway decent game, but this is NOT SOCOM!, June 2, 2011
This review is from: SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy Seals - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Well, what can I say? SOCOM this is NOT!!!!

OK, for the record, I miss the old SOCOM format...REALLY, I do! And for Zipper Interactive to release this game, the way it is, is just wrong!

And before you guys start bashing me, play it first, and then take a moment, step back, and ask yourself, "is this really SOCOM???"

I mean, why even make this game? There's a thousand run-n-gun type military games out there...Too many to list, actually. The original Socom format really had something different. There were NO GAMES like them! So, what does THIS GAME bring to the table, that the other shooters do not????? NOTHING!

I don't know where to start, and I'm just gonna be all over the place, as things make me angry....but, here goes:

This game is basically run, get shot at, run, get shot at, get shot at some more, and get shot at some more. If you think I'm kidding, try the game yourself!

The original SOCOM series was intense, strategic, organic, you could use a headset to use voice commands, use your teammates to help complete missions, use team mates to overwatch, command teammates to do all sorts of stuff...the original SOCOM games had SO MUCH to offer...this game????....NOTHING!!! All this cool stuff that the original SOCOM games had, is all GONE! Sure, OK, the graphics are awesome! OK? And sure, it's got a BUNCH of shooting in it...OK? but, so do a million other games out there, and graphics & shooting only goes so far. If you're looking for the old SOCOM here....well, you can forget it. The original magic of SOCOM, is forever gone.

In this game, you can forget about shooting bad guys at 300yds, and staying hidden for a while. OH NO, NOT IN THIS GAME!!! You shoot ONE TIME, ONE ROUND, WITH A SILENCED SNIPER RIFLE, and 4 million rounds just seem to find you and rain down upon you like hellfire...Tanks, rockets, bullets, grenades, missiles...everything!!! Come on???...really??? Whether you're hidden or not...EVERY ROUND & BULLET just magically finds you, instantly. Hide behind a rock...YUP, you guessed it, bullets hit you!!! This is a joke!

You can't even climb ladders in this game! So, your ability to snipe from high vantage points, is gone! Not that it would matter anyway.

Another thing.....Why do you have to complete the game for better scopes & weapons? I'm sure the real Navy Seals have to do this in real life! So, I have to complete the game to get a better sniper scope??? COME ON???!!!!! What kinda crap is this????

In a firefight, bullets come from EVERY ANGLE! You can hide behind whatever you want (Rocks, cars, trucks, WALLS), and, you guessed it! Bullets, rockets, grenades...etc...just all seem to hit you! People just appear from out of nowhere, and BAM! You're dead! It's actually laughable.

No voice commands, no strategy, no stealth, no night-vision, no missions (to speak of), no sniper shots from afar, no decent choice of weapons, no nuthin'! Just come up on bad guys & tanks, and start shootin' like mad, because that's all the game will allow you to do. Don't bother trying to hide, either...COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!

Now, before I get flamed, and called names, yes, there are 2-3 levels in this game, in which you have to be stealthy....but, it's a joke. Shoot one guy, and once again, you either fail a mission, or get trampled by 30 guys at once with assault rifles. Hell, I've played ATARI 2600 games better than this.

This game is just like every other military shooter out there, MOH, COD, whatever! (Just not as good)....It just left a bad taste in my mouth, after being a HUGE SOCOM fan since day one. It's a real bummer to play this.....

The original SOCOM games (1, 2 & 3) really made the player feel like they were actually IN the game, and actually hiding in the bushes & shrubs. Not here.

Bottom line: I don't care what ANY reviewer says, this game sucks! PERIOD! It's a cheap, unrealistic, generic shooter, with a SOCOM label on it.

So, here's my PRO & CON list.....are you ready?

PROS:
Guns.....

CONS:
Just about everything else....

Am I being too harsh? No, I honestly don't think so. And the general public shouldn't accept this. Considering all the cool things that the original SOCOM games offered, I'm actually being too easy on the game, and the folks at Zipper Interactive!

So, to all you folks at Zipper Interactive, I ask you:

"Is THIS the BEST you guys could come up with????? If so, then I'll buy another PS2, and start playing the old SOCOM games again."

<sigh>......

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2011 9:08:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2011 9:10:12 AM PDT
Mr. C. Haden says:
nice review, this game is just pointless, why did zipper bother.

(from a Mesaboogie amp user ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2011 9:10:35 AM PDT
Timothy says:
great review charitable too. hey check out socomsource.com support them in the making of socom2 hd.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2011 9:19:20 AM PDT
Mr. C. Haden says:
yeah, 1 star just about does this game justice lol

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 12:18:06 PM PDT
ToneCity says:
I too have waited years for the "return" of Socom. The last installment I played was Socom CA and yes it was great. I finally ordered Socom 4 from Amazon, which will arrive this Friday. I watched the vids and the game does look fun. Now...there are some things that concern me after reading your review: bullets coming from everywhere after firing a silenced weapon? That's crazy! NO OVERWATCH? Again, crazy! On the weapons issue, is the IW-80 (IDub for true Socom heads) available in this game? Hell! is there ANYTHING...anything that's like the original Socom's? What about instant action in single player mode? I mean I'm going to play the game and I'll probably have fun doing so but, I just don't want to be totally disappointed. Honest review and thanks for posting C. Pinto

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 4:47:40 PM PDT
OneDub79 says:
Dude, you are so right with your review of this game. No matter how quiet you try to be. Once yo shoot one enemy with a silenced weapon, all of a sudden you are fighting the whole base. Ridiculous. Prior to buying this game, I was afraid the game was going to be that way. I bought it because I was hoping for the best. I beat it, but I traded it in. Check my review of this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 10:23:05 AM PDT
Hey fellow musician! :)

I really don't know.....I ask myself the same question???? Yeah, I was seriously bummed out when playing this. If they come out with SOCOM 5, they had better ask the gamers for some serious opinions.....or, simply just read our comments here on Amazon! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 10:31:02 AM PDT
Hi ToneCity,
Correct....There is NO overwatch, no voice commands, no sniping (to speak of) there's really NO commands AT ALL. You just get shot at ALL THE TIME. Basically every missions consists of these 5 easy steps: 1) Start mission, 2) walk 20 feet, 3) shoot a guy from far away, 4) and get hit with 4 million rounds in return, and finally 5) die. That's about it! LOL The game is not the WORST game I've played, but, they should NOT call it SOCOM...That's my major beef with the game & Zipper Interactive. When you play SOCOM, you expect a certain level of features in the game that make SOCOM...SOCOM! You expect to be able to snipe from vast distances, hide in brush, sneak around, hide in shadows, etc etc....instead, we get ....."THIS"! Run & Die game....
Anyway, thanks for reading my semi-humorous & angry post. Appreciate it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 10:32:08 AM PDT
Laney50w says:
LOL, I was "gonna" give it a 1-Star, and maybe I should have.....I guess I went a little too easy on the game. ;) hehe

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 10:46:01 AM PDT
Hi 1Dub79,
Thanks for reading the post. :) I completely agree! I simply don't understand it....In the real-world, if I snipe you from 500yds/600yds, WITH A SILENCER, chances are, you're not gonna know what hit you, or WHERE it came from.....BUT, hey! In this new SOCOM game, apparently the bad guys are all masters at the art of ESP. There's just no fun in playing just another run & gun game that's like all the others. As I say, when we all play & buy SOCOM games, we EXPECT a game that has certain elements...elements that are not seen in any other game....Realism, sneaking up from behind, sniping from vast distances, hiding in brush, crawling around, night vision, voice commands or team mate commands....here, we are left with a game with literally NO excitement (other than constantly running from gunfire to stay alive)...Come on! It's a joke! Really pissed me off.....Zipper really had something with the SOCOM series, now, I'm afraid, it'll be gone for good....Hopefully not...AND NOW I can't even play my old SOCOM games on the new PS3.....You wanna see an ANGRY GUY!!! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 10:48:52 AM PDT
Hi M. Timothy,

Thanks for reading! :)

LOL, yeah, maybe I was a bit too easy on the game! hehe Thanks for the link! I'll go check it out, and express my sincere anger with the new SOCOM game! I already wrote a letter to Zipper Interactive, expressing my <cough> small amount of anger. ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›