3.0 out of 5 stars Movies are classic, but if you have the DVD's rethink your purchase, June 9, 2012
This review is from: The Mel Brooks Collection [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am a huge Mel Brooks fan, so I already had 7 of these movies on DVD. I was really excited to watch these in the splendor of 1080 but alas I am on my fourth movie and it absolutely feels like these are up-converted films. The quality looks no different then a standard DVD running through the blu-ray player. I have watched Robin Hood, Spaceballs and Blazing Saddles. I just put in To Be or Not To Be which prompted this review. I get the films are between 20 and 40 years old, but my assumption was these would be taken from the original negatives. Anyway, great films but I wouldn't buy this if you already have the DVD's, I am not sure that you will see any difference from what you already have...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 23, 2012 3:22:28 AM PDT
W. Craig says:
Perhaps your television is out of calibration. So far the improved resolution of Twelve Chairs, Blazing Saddles, and Silent Movie equal or surpass the most stunning HD releases I've ever seen, although Young Frankenstein was a bit grainier than I would have liked. High Anxiety is also a vast improvement over the DVD release, especially where the audio was concerned. Haven't got to the rest yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 9:32:18 AM PDT
theamountof says:
I purchased Blazing Saddles and Space Balls on Blu-ray as a birthday present for a friend about a year ago and would have to agree with the original poster saying that they look like they just took the old DVD version up-scaled it. I am not saying that they look bad or any worse at all, but I would definitely say they are not true 1080p versions of the film. So again to just reiterate, if you already own the DVD box set or own all of your favorites on DVD, I would say you would be fine with those instead of picking up the Blu-rays. I just purchased this Blu-ray box set as I only owned Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles on DVD and want a complete set of Mel Brooks films for my collection.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 10:28:56 PM PDT
Jonas Grumby says:
This collection should have included his 1st film, The Producers. That one is a classic and it's the only one of his films that had a remake. It also the only one that became a hit Broadway musical.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 8:37:30 AM PDT
I am glad that people have found my review helpful. Just because I am somewhat of a geek, I setup two Dynex 24" 1080P TVs side by side with two Toshiba Blu-ray players (love black Friday) and played the DVD on one and the Blu-ray on the other. To address W.Craigs comment I also switched the discs. I did a quick 4-5 minute review of the DVDs I had vs the Blu-ray disc. I felt like Adam Savage running an experiment...just nothing was exploding. Anyway, the Blu-ray and upconverted dvds were both fantastic, there was a very slight improvement on Blu-ray when it came to the picture clarity. It isn't near the vast difference you see on a Pixar film between DVD and Blu-ray. End of story, if you have the DVDs and do not have a discerning eye for movie clarity, the improvement may not be worth the investment. But if you are just starting your Mel Brooks collection...I would say this is a GREAT start.
I cannot comment on audio improvements as I have 2 very loud young boys who are never quiet, so I rarely use the stereo, only the TV speakers.
Lots of people have said they miss The Producer in this collection. I would love to have seen the Producers in this collection as well Life Stinks...still one of my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:11:52 PM PST
Hastor says:
A Geek with a Dynex (Best Buy brand) 24"? I don't think I would notice much of a difference on such a small generic set either. Watching these on a 40" Samsung from my PS3, they look great. Not always the best BD transfers ever, but a huge improvement over the DVDs in my opinion.

Not coming down on anyone for having a small or cheap set, but hardly equipment worthy of reviewing on. I'd say check the reviews on highdefdigest.com - they seem spot on to me for this set.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:53:00 PM PST
Sorry that my review wasn't helpful to you...but I wouldn't assume that the only video equipment that I have and watched these movies on are the two dynex TVs. They are not, they are my kids tvs and the most portable for a side by side comparison.

When I wrote my first review it was after primarily watching the movies on my Computer (23" Viewsonic LED) and my theater room (55" Panasonic Plasma).

I noticed what I perceived as upscaling issues and confirmed my suspicions on the Dynex.

But you are correct, I am not a professional reviewer, so it would be a mistake to assume that my review has any validity.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:17:25 PM PST
Ryck says:
Thanks for your input! I already have them in a mix of VHS and DVD.

Sadly, I've seen other reviewers lament of other movies on BluRay where are also nothing more than reburned DVDs. Nasty way to trick people into re-buying this stuff. I guess there is a loophole that allows them to get away with this.

I think what I'll do is not to get the BluRay of anything that wasn't originally digitally mastered.

At any rate, I'm amazed that The Producers is not included.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:42:56 AM PST
Yankee Mike says:
All the films in this set were Fox films. The Producers was not a Fox film which might explain why its not included in this set.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 6:49:04 AM PDT
Korey Burns says:
There is an empty slot in the front of the set which I plan to place Producers in. Wish it was included as well though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 3:30:02 AM PDT
JHP says:
Blazing Saddles is NOT a "Fox film". It is a Warner Bros. film!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (721 customer reviews)

$69.99 $31.94